Eyes Wide Shut

Started by Teddy, April 27, 2003, 09:46:02 PM

mogwai

Quote from: Pubrickif they're as well chosen as that one, totally, bigger too.
well, the size issue is no biggie. i was concernced about those who had small monitors would freak out.

edit: it's now bigger.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaii was concernced about those who had small monitors would freak out.
eff them.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

here's some caps that i think fell into that category neon was talking about.

Fernando

Awesome work. Love Alice with her champaigne glass.

No love for the morgue scene?  :yabbse-angry:

mogwai

Quote from: FernandoNo love for the morgue scene?  :yabbse-angry:
no, i'm not into that sort of stuff. :yabbse-wink:

is there a specific shot out of that scene you're were thinking of? note: all shots of pubic hair will be blurred.

Fernando

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: FernandoNo love for the morgue scene?  :yabbse-angry:
no, i'm not into that sort of stuff. :yabbse-wink:

is there a specific shot out of that scene you're were thinking of? note: all shots of pubic hair will be blurred.

After posting I thought that might be why you didn't chose any nudity shot, as for my fave shot, the best one for me is when Bill is leaning to her I'd choose the one when he is closer to her face right before he leans back, that one.

mogwai

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai

:bravo:  thats beautiful mog!

thats the type of stuff i was talking about....now you got those on display for anyone who tries to disagree, they can check those caps out.....
you will never find a better film which contains this amount of domination of use of lighting/sound/design......

Pubrick

u know, i'm starting to see what's great about Part 1 of the SK archives.

as many times as i've seen the movie, it's still fun to see caps from it.
under the paving stones.

JG

Pubrick

Quote from: JG on October 02, 2006, 06:49:10 PM
http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2006/09/subtext-eyes-wide-shut.html

some analysis for those who are interested.

okay i just removed a big rant i had posted here. suffice to say, that link is not worth anyone's time and even replying to it is giving it more attention than it deserves. i'm only doing it now to redirect people's attention to an infinitely superior example of kubrick analysis. if you don't believe me and actually bother clicking JG's link, and the difference between bernstein and the pre-pubescent "mystery man" blogger is not evident to you, give up. just give up.
under the paving stones.

Chest Rockwell

I personally stopped after the first paragraph. The "insights" regarding the Hungarian and the Art of Love were both stupid and so completely obvious.

However, by posting the article JG did get me to read everything everybody has posted when I wasn't around. Good stuff, guys  :yabbse-thumbup:

hedwig

for anyone who might still consider clicking on the link after those three warnings, here's a quick summary of the content and writing style of the article so you won't have to actually read it:

The article was not about the article. What was the article about? It wasn't about the article. It was about the myths and legends. But it wasn't about the article. It was about the visual statements of the article.That's not what the article was about, was it? It wasn't.

MacGuffin

In a conversation with Radar Online's Jebediah Reed, the legendary R. Lee Ermey -- star of Texas Chainsaw Massscare: The Begining -- says something surprising about Stanley Kubrick and Full Metal Jacket. "Stanley called me up all the time," he says. "He'd call at three o'clock in the morning and say, "Oh, it's 10 o'clock over here." [Laughs] "Yeah, well, it's three o-fucking-clock in the morning here, Stanley. Oh well.

"He called me about two weeks before he died, as a matter of fact. We had a long conversation about Eyes Wide Shut. He told me it was a piece of shit and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to have him for lunch. He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him -- exactly the words he used.

What did he mean?, asks Reed. "[Kubrick] was kind of a shy little timid guy. He wasn't real forceful. That's why he didn't appreciate working with big, high-powered actors. They would have their way with him, he would lose control, and his movie would turn to shit."

http://www.radaronline.com/features/2006/10/tough_love.php
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

what the fuck? kubrick reportedly called it his best movie.

that (ermey's) story is bullshit.