Clues in "The Shining"

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 05:47:34 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 29, 2012, 10:46:50 AM
Still, even the possibility of an addition to a modern classic is bound to get film fans excited or riled up (or both).

What kind of film fan would get excited by something like this?

I think the right term for those people is scumbag.

Disturbed burial ground Kubrick must be rising from his bathtub.
under the paving stones.

Reel

That reminds me, Rob Ager posted a new 'Shining' Analysis:

I haven't watched yet, but I hope it's good!

Reel

HorrorEtc is my favorite podcast about horror movies. In the last episode they talked about 'Room 237' a little bit and how they didn't really think the theories hold much water ( this has pretty much been the consensus across the board, but I'm still looking forward to it. ) Anyways, they decided to do their own podcast about The Shining, so you can find it at that link.  I haven't listened yet so don't hold me accountable for what these dudes say. They're pretty film literate for 'horror buffs', and well versed in Rob Ager's analysis. I really like the host, the other guy kinda gets on my nerves, but it's always been a good listen in my experience. It'll at least be better than the Autercast and Filmspotting episodes on The Shining, those were just wretched.

polkablues

I've listened to HorrorEtc a few times, but I get annoyed by how little in-depth they ever get into the films.  It's more of a "let's list each movie we've seen lately with a brief synopsis and whether we'd recommend it or not."  At least the ones I've heard.

But yeah, The Shining was a good movie.  It's about a guy who goes crazy and tries to kill his family at a snowed-in hotel.  Definitely worth a watch.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

you nailed 'em. I can't listen to every episode because of that fact, but since this is Shining specific I thought there might be some more to glom onto here. I just love to see The Shining getting its due respect, other podcasts I've heard on it just barely scrape the surface. At two hours I'm hoping they go into a little more depth here.

I think it's the best horror podcast. Are there any you like?

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on March 14, 2013, 08:22:28 PM
I think it's the best horror podcast. Are there any you like?

That's the only one I've listened to.  And I admire the breadth of their horror knowledge (I found out about a lot of movies I'd never heard of, even in the few episodes I listened to), but the lack of depth leaves me cold.  Definitely let us know if the Shining episode is worthwhile, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on March 14, 2013, 11:55:27 PMlet us know if the Shining episode is worthwhile, though.

It isn't, nothing to see here. Better than the other podcasts I've heard on the subject but that's not saying much. Anyone interested in delving deeper into The Shining I would point Here. Annnd that's pretty much all there is to it!

Last time I promote one of these things without listening first, I promise.

md

Quote from: filmcritic on June 14, 2003, 05:47:34 PM
Clue 1: Remember the scene when Jack is writing and Wendy comes in to interrupt him? Well, he uses some profanity and throws away the paper he was writing. She turns and walks away. But then, he begins writing again as if he had never thrown away the paper. The haunted hotel is feeding Jack paper.

From a 1986 Rolling Stones Interview with Jack Nicholson:

When did you end up in Laurel canyon, rooming with Stanton?
When Sandra and I elected to get divorced.  I was doing two jobs at the time and a lot of it was the pressure from that.  I hadn't worked for a whlie and I remember I was out on the lawn with [actor] John Hackett and we were doing a brake job on my Karmann Ghia, and that day I got two jobs.  To write a movie [The Trip] and to act in one [Rebel Rousers. The scene in the The Shining comes out of this time, where I say, "Whenever I'm here and you here me typing...."

The scene where he tells his wife to leave him alone when he's working?

Yeah. Later on, with Stanley Kubrick, we wrote that scene together...sort of the climactic scene of my marriage, because I was under such pressure to get this script out, and I was acting in Rebel Rousers, an improvisational movie with Harry Dean  and Bruce Dern.  I think it's the only movie of mine I've never seen.  Really the whole period was incredibly long hours of work, meeting a writing deadline and getting up and doing an acting job.  Most of my divorce is written into The Trip.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

MacGuffin

Former WALKING DEAD Showrunner Glen Mazzara to Write THE SHINING Prequel THE OVERLOOK HOTEL
Source: Collider

It appears that Stephen King's beloved novel The Shining is all the rage at the moment.  King is set to release his sequel novel Doctor Sleep later this fall and the Shining-centric documentary Room 237 recently hit theaters, but now it appears that the story is headed to the big screen once again by way of a prequel.  Glen Mazzara—who previously took over for Frank Darabont as showrunner on AMC's The Walking Dead before being forced out of the position halfway through the most recent season—has been tapped to write the screenplay for the Warner Bros. prequel film The Overlook Hotel.

Word first broke that Warner Bros. was considering a prequel to The Shining last summer, when it was reported that writer/producers Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island) and James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) were developing the film alongside producing partner Bradley Fischer (Black Swan).  It appears that the trio has settled on a story that they believe warrants a full film, as Deadline now reports that Glen Mazzara has been hired to pen the screenplay for The Overlook Hotel.

No further details for the film are given, but it's reasonable to assume that the story will involve the haunted goings-on at the titular hotel prior to The Torrence's arrival.  Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining is a masterpiece so Mazzara certainly has some big shoes to fill, but it'll be interesting to see if he strikes a tone similar to Kubrick's film or if his take falls more in line with King's original novel.

Mazzara did some solid work on the first half of The Walking Dead season three, but the show took a bit of a creative nosedive in the back half.  He reportedly exited the showrunner position due to a difference of opinion over the show's direction in season four.  His other TV writing credits include The Shield, Hawthorne, and the Starz series Crash, which he created.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

I was gonna one up you til I noticed your respect count

MacGuffin

That's okay. I'll just delete some of your respected posts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

I think a large part of the budget will be trying to recreate Stanley's massive set, that is, if they're really wanting it to tie directly to his film visually as well.

Are there any prequels that a consensus of people agree are good?

From a writing standpoint, I wonder if they are really only trying to explain how things in the movie got there. For instance, some scene where the twins get their iconic dresses - a department trip, or the mother sews a lot while locked in the hotel.

It is kinda fun to think up ways things got there.

A scene where the hotel's interior designer looks at carpet samples and we see that crazy pattern in the lot.

On the way to a job interview, Dick Halloran stops at a garage sale and picks up two paintings of nude women.

My expectations are pretty low. It has little to no chance of coming close to what Kubrick did. I think a lot will come down to direction. It probably won't be received well if it's in 3D and someone goes to a hardware store and buys an ax and swings it over the crowd, slams it down on the counter and close up.

"This looks good. I'll take it!"

Cash register dings.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.