Clues in "The Shining"

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 05:47:34 PM

MacGuffin

Stephen King says he's working on a sequel to The Shining
Source: SciFi Wire

News of this broke over Thanksgiving, so apologies if you've already seen it, but we thought we'd share it anyway: Horrormeister Stephen King has been talking about writing a sequel to The Shining, which he says might be called Doctor Sleep.

Here's how the Filmofilia Web site reported it:

The second novel would center on Danny Torrance, the young boy from the original story with the gift of being able to communicate clairvoyantly with ghosts, and who is now an appropriately aged 40-year-old. All these years after being tormented by the spiritual inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel and his father's alcoholism/homicidal rage, Danny is now working at a hospice using his supernatural powers for palliative purposes. King even offered a tentative title: "Doctor Sleep."
King talked about the possible book at a Toronto appearance to promote his new book, Under the Dome.

The Shining, which was released in 1977, was famously adapted into a Stanley Kubrick film in 1980, starring Jack Nicholson, Danny Lloyd and Shelley Duvall. King himself later adapted the book in 1997 as a more faithful but vastly inferior TV miniseries (in our opinion).

We're eager to go back to the characters and story, but only if there's an elevator full of blood, creepy twins and an ax-wielding maniac. That seems unlikely.

Are you up for a sequel to The Shining?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I am up for that, but it has the possibility of being awesome. 'The Shining' is one of my favorite books...ahh. just thinking about it makes me happy.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

blackmirror

Quote from: grifpo on October 11, 2006, 12:28:22 AM
Chapter 16, Monday: "I love you, Danny" starts out by zooming back from a closeup of the television.  What show is on t.v.?  I remember reading it once, but I've forgotten. Any help?
-griffin

I am a day late, dollar short for this reply, but . . .

In everyone's life there's a "Summer of '42"

(not really a clue, but one of Mr. Kubrick's favorite films)

One clue that comes into my mind not mentioned here:

At the beginning of the movie, Wendy is reading J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" while she and Danny are eating their sandwiches at the kitchen table.  The novel's themes of mental instability and the urge to save a child foreshadow the Torrance's approaching disruptions.

RegularKarate

This may have been posted before, but in honor of Kub's birthday, Devin Faracci linked to this today:

Starts out seeming like it's looking for mistakes then just proves it's all intentional.

My favorite part is that Stan would laugh at people getting caught in the maze.

Pubrick

Yes that's by rob ager whose analysis of Kubrick has been posted around here many times before. That video is great but it's just illustrating his written analysis from ages back. Of course it's intentional. A lot of complaints people have about supposed flaws in his films are on purpose and full of meaning.

Dude may never be fully understood by our species.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

I think I agree with the majority of what Rob Ager says, not with just this video but everything else I've seen and read. however, I'm sure he's such a fan that even if Kubrick made a mistake or there was a unintentional blunder with the continuity, Rob would find a deeper meaning.  This kind of analysis does seem to follow the same psychological pitfalls of conspiracy theorists in that noticing one or two phenomena leads the mind to continue to make connections, even if they're not there.
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

Pubrick

He's alright.

At least he didn't talk about child abuse this time.

Also everyone interested should watch those clips now before he removes them and starts charging money to watch them exclusively on DVD.
under the paving stones.

Reel

Yeah, The Shining is Lee Unkrich's favorite movie, and he snuck a couple 237's into TS3 to prove it

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

U.S. Publication Date for Doctor Sleep Set for 2013
source: Stephenking.com

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the "steam" that children with the "shining" produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant "shining" power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes "Doctor Sleep."

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon

tpfkabi

Must have been inspired by that story of the nursing home cat that seems to know when a patient is about to die.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

'Here's Johnny' (again)? WB exploring 'Shining' prequel
Source: Los Angeles Times

Could we be in for a return trip to the Overlook Hotel?

Warner Bros.is quietly exploring the possibility of a prequel to "The Shining," the 1980 Stanley Kubrick chillfest that many fans regard as the scariest movie of all time. The studio has solicited the involvement of Hollywood writer-producer Laeta Kalogridis and her partners Bradley Fischer and James Vanderbilt to craft a new take as producers, according to a person familiar with the project who was not authorized to talk about it publicly.

The film would focus on what happened before Jack Torrance (of course played memorably onscreen by Jack Nicholson), his wife and their psychic son arrived at the haunted retreat where Torrance soon descends into violent madness. A WB spokeswoman cautioned that any "Shining" prequel was in a very early stage and not even formally in development.

Still, even the possibility of an addition to a modern classic is bound to get film fans excited or riled up (or both).

One factor that could aid the former: Kalogridis has a pedigree that's ready-made for this kind of material, having penned the macabre "Shutter Island" for Martin Scorsese two years ago. (In a somewhat different vein, she also was a key creative force on James Cameron's "Avatar,"  serving as an uncredited writer and an executive producer.)

Released initially to mixed reviews by Warners, "The Shining," based on Stephen King's bestselling 1977 novel, eventually gained acclaim and a unique pop-culture prominence. It's been spoofed and referenced many times since, and is currently enjoying a moment of sorts thanks to "Room 237," a documentary about the Kubrick film's many interpretations that made a splash at this year's Sundance Film Festival.

King himself has been penning a sequel to "The Shining;" there's no word yet on whether there will be a movie adaptation of the new novel.

Skeleton FilmWorks