Clues in "The Shining"

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 05:47:34 PM

Tictacbk

isn't that like the original "trailer remix" from 3 years ago?

Good to see it again though, don't know if its been topped yet.

Fernando

yeah, but actually The Shining recut trailer has its own thread:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8148.0

last days of gerry the elephant

No wonder this place is dead... everything you could possibly use for discussion has been found at least 3 years ago.

hedwig

maybe it's time to resurrect the moral question thread.

MacGuffin

Quote from: omuy on November 03, 2008, 01:57:01 PM
No wonder this place is dead... everything you could possibly use for discussion has been found at least 3 years ago.

xixax.com - ahead of the curve

or

xixax.com - everything old is new again
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 04, 2008, 12:06:45 AM

or

the latter is better....yeah.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

Quote from: Fernando on November 03, 2008, 11:02:43 AM
yeah, but actually The Shining recut trailer has its own thread:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8148.0

A favorite thing of Pubrick's to do - the redirect.
I wonder if P could survive in a Search-less Xixax?  :yabbse-grin:

Those posters are pretty cool, but then again, I love anything Shining.

Some commercial had a set of dark haired twins and I almost wondered - could those be the Shining twins - but I think they were too young - Shining twins are now around 40's I would guess?

oh wait...definitely not them:

http://community.livejournal.com/howtheylooknow/152954.html
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 04, 2008, 02:21:22 AM

or

How about:

xixax.com - nobody posts reviews anymore
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 04, 2008, 07:35:57 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 04, 2008, 02:21:22 AM

or

How about:

xixax.com - nobody posts reviews anymore
or....
We'd rather see what you bought on dvd than anything else....but thats a bit verbose
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Fernando

Stephen King fan publishes Shining's Jack Torrance's novel

A Stephen King fan has published an 80-page version of the book which novelist Jack Torrance obsessively writes during King's The Shining, where his descent into madness is revealed when his wife discovers that his work consists of just one phrase, endlessly repeated.

Torrance, played by Jack Nicholson in terrifying form in Stanley Kubrick's 1980 film, is a frustrated writer who goes with his wife and son to spend the winter in the isolated Overlook Hotel in an attempt to get the novel he has always wanted to write started. But the hotel's grisly past and unquiet ghosts have their way with him, and his wife Wendy eventually finds that the manuscript he has been working on actually only contains the phrase "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", typed over and over again.

Now New York artist Phil Buehler, who describes himself as "a big fan of Stanley Kubrick and Stephen King", has self-published a book credited to Torrance, repeating the phrase throughout but formatting each page differently, using the words to create different shapes from zigzags to spirals.

"The idea has probably been marinating for years, because I loved the movie and the Stephen King book," said Buehler. "I'd just finished my own obsessive art project [and] it was an idea I had over the Christmas holidays."

He said he decided to stick to type and formatting that could have been created on a typewriter, with the first ten pages duplicating shots of Torrance's work from the film. "I thought 'if he continues to get crazier, what would those pages look like?'" he said. "I hit writer's block about 60 pages in, and I had to get to 80 - that went on for about a week." His fiancée, who had neither read the book nor seen the film, became a little concerned about his actions. "I finally showed her the movie, and she realised I wasn't really losing it," said Buehler.

He's included a spoof review from the blog OverThinkingIt.com on the book's back jacket, which compares it to "the best of Beckett" in its "lack of forward momentum", and considers the struggles of the author, "heroically pitting himself against the Sisyphusean sentence". "It's that metatextual struggle of Man vs. Typewriter that gives this book its spellbinding power," the review says. "Some will dismiss it as simplistic; that's like dismissing a Pollack canvas as mere splatters of paint."

So far, Buehler says that around 1,000 people have viewed the book, for sale on Blurb.com for $8.95 in paperback, or $22.95 in hardback, and he's sold "a few" copies, with sales now starting to pick up steam. "A few people have asked me to sign it - they're looking it as a piece of art rather than a funny thing to give to a Kubrick fan," he said. "If you're not a Kubrick or King fan, you might not even get it."

article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jan/07/stephen-king-shining-novel

see the book: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/515476

tpfkabi

Wouldn't King or the Kubrick estate be likely to sue?

Although I'm not sure you could sue over one sentence...?

I guess since he has a picture of Shelley Duvall from the film on the cover he's already covered his bases.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jtm

seriously, why would anyone buy that book?

besides, we already know how it ends. Jacks a dull boy.

Find Your Magali

Has anyone seen this jaw-dropping, six-part article?

There's a lot of weed-smoking going on here, but also some amazing, amazing insight: http://mstrmnd.com/log/802

Stefen

That shit was epic. And I read it when I was sober. I lol'ed at Bug Bunny.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.