Clues in "The Shining"

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 05:47:34 PM

filmcritic

"The Shining" has always been for me a horror masterpiece and a Stanley Kubrick classic. Now, I've seen the film several times and I noticed clues in the movies that are not mistakes.

Clue 1: Remember the scene when Jack is writing and Wendy comes in to interrupt him? Well, he uses some profanity and throws away the paper he was writing. She turns and walks away. But then, he begins writing again as if he had never thrown away the paper. The haunted hotel is feeding Jack paper.

Clue 2: Many people have had questions about exactly what Jack's relationship was with the haunted hotel. Remember the scene when Jack is in the bathroom talking with Mr. Grady? Mr. Grady is right in front of the mirror and Jack is facing the mirror's direction. So, Jack is really Mr. Grady because he is really looking at himself.

Clue 3: There is actually a foreshadowing in the film. Remember the scene when Jack is in the car with his son and wife on their way to the hotel? Jack starts talking about cannibalism and the mother starts to worry about Jack talking about that around their son. But the son tells his mother not to worry because he knows all about that because he saw it on television. But later on Jack utters the classic line "Here's Johnny". But don't worry, he saw it on television!

No, these are not mistakes. They are clues into the mystery of "The Shining".
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Derek237

I remember reading clues like that somewhere. There are tons more....

bonanzataz

when wendy brings jack the eggs, jack's like, "it's odd, but it feels like i've been here before..."

oooweeeoooo!!!!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Keener

Quote from: The Beetsoooweeeoooo!!!!

Killa' tofuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Cecil

Quote from: Keener
Quote from: The Beetsoooweeeoooo!!!!

Killa' tofuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

lol, ah man... whats that from again?

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Alethia

hahaha, that show kicked ass

Pedro

Yeah man.  Pete and Pete was the shit, too.

modage

Pete OR Pete could've kicked Dougs whiny ass.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

true dat. old skool nickelodeon rocks.

YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION!

lamas

filmcritic, don't take this the wrong way but you're a foreigner right?  am i correct in assuming english is not your first language?[/quote]

Lucinda Bryte

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Lucinda BryteANYWAY getting back to the topic at hand...

"Welly welly welly welly welly welly well!" amuses me for some reason.
"Wendy... I'm home," always makes me crack up just by the way he says it so dryly.
"Naughty naughty naughty! You filthy old soomka!"

Ah and any line by Sgt. Hartman... :)
So, am I to assume these are clues hidden extremely well in The Shining?? Otherwise, I don't understand how they're "on topic."
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: ranemaka13[quote="Lucinda Bryte]ANYWAY getting back to the topic at hand...

"Welly welly welly welly welly welly well!" amuses me for some reason.
"Wendy... I'm home," always makes me crack up just by the way he says it so dryly.
"Naughty naughty naughty! You filthy old soomka!"

Ah and any line by Sgt. Hartman... :)
So, am I to assume these are clues hidden extremely well in The Shining?? Otherwise, I don't understand why they're "on topic."[/quote]

Oh jeez. I thought I was in that thread of favorite Kubrick lines.  :oops:

Sleuth

That's okay, one time I posted a Twin Peaks reply in a completely different forum

Good times
I like to hug dogs