The Stanley Kubrick Archives

Started by Gold Trumpet, February 10, 2005, 05:07:09 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopiowhat's up with those mask posters of ews in the virtual tour at stanleykubrick.de  ?? were those prototypes or used?
according to the SKA:
"This proposal for the film's poster, designed by Katharina Kubrick Hobbs and
Christiane Kubrick, was rejected in favor of a design more clearly showing the film's two stars."
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

UPS just dropped my copy off.

:shock:

:yabbse-grin:

:drool:

I'm happy with my frames. I got:

But the wider two-shot with both Frank and Dave eating and watching. (If someone wants to be a cool cat and screen-cap it for me.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffinUPS just dropped my copy off.

:shock:

:yabbse-grin:

:drool:

I'm happy with my frames.

Congrats my friend, cool frames you got there.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Can't help you with the caps, but wait...don't you have that dvd to make it or are you just lazy?  :yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-wink:

Maybe on monday I can do i if somebody else hasn't already.

MacGuffin

Quote from: FernandoCan't help you with the caps, but wait...don't you have that dvd to make it or are you just lazy?  :yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-wink:

I don't have screen-capping software anymore (due to total computer rebooting), and no web space to host it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

That virtual exhibit doesn't do justice to actually seeing the exhibit. It's true that the biggest overall section is for 2001 - I guess they just have the most props left over from that one (plus there's one room dedicated solely to front screen projection technology).

But what you don't get to see in the virtual version are the hundreds of pages of Kubrick notes and correspondence and annotated shooting scripts; the massive assortment of passionate letters to and from Kubrick regarding Lolita and Dr. Strangelove; the great in-jokes contained within the prop newspapers printed for Eyes Wide Shut; the Napoleon card catalog; etc. etc. etc. It's really quite a bit more substantial than props with cool lighting.

jigzaw

Quote from: cowboykurtisis there any indication of this showing in the States?

I second that.  Any chance of Americans seeing this exhibit of one of the greatest American filmmakers??

MacGuffin

Kubrick Archives to Be Housed in London

The archives of Stanley Kubrick one of the most comprehensive collections of film production materials in the world will be housed at a London arts school from the summer of 2006.

Boxes of scripts, research documents, correspondence, costumes, props, models and film equipment will be displayed at the University of the Arts' London College of Communication for public viewing and student research, the college announced Monday.

The archives "have a depth and breadth that we wanted to make available so that future generations have an understanding of the way that Stanley worked," Kubrick's widow, Christiane Kubrick, said in a statement.

The London school was selected because Kubrick spent most of his life in Britain, said Christiane, who is a painter and an alumna of a branch of the university, St. Martin's School of Art.

Born in New York in 1928, Kubrick moved to England in 1961 and stayed in Britain until his death at 70 in 1999.

His films include "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb," "2001: A Space Odyssey," "A Clockwork Orange" and "Barry Lyndon."

"In the whole history of movies, there has been nothing like Kubrick's vision," said Steven Spielberg, who was a friend of the director. "It was a vision of hope and wonder, of grace and of mystery, of humor and contradictions.

"I am pleased to hear that his archives are going to University of the Arts London, which will ensure his legacy and vision are kept alive."

The university will construct a center for archives and special collections on the LCC campus in south London to house Kubrick's material.

His family will own the archives but the school will be responsible for the upkeep.

The university has started a fund-raising campaign to maintain and promote the archive and will be seeking an endowment to support it indefinitely.

This undated image provided by the Kubrick Archive released Monday, Oct. 24, 2005, shows one of the exhibits from the archives of American filmmaker Stanley Kubrick which will be housed at the London arts school starting Summer 2006. This undated still from the set of the Kubrick film "Eyes wide shut", shows Kubrick, 2nd left, with Tom Cruise, left, Julienne Davis as the corpse and director of photography on the film Larry Smith, right.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

fuck, anything in the white room is automatically the best.

someone somewhere is close to getting the best frames of all time. what a great time to be alive.. for them.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

That's it, I"m buying another one just for that chance dammit.

Fernando

Quote from: Fernando on June 21, 2005, 05:07:07 PM
PICOLAS MODAGE U FREAKING LUCKY BASTARD!  :evil: :yabbse-cool:

Seriously, wow, what a frame you got, P is right as he always is in Kubrick matters.

Anonymous Joe

I just got mine. really great book.

My frame is where Bowmen is at the table looking at himself in the bed.

JG

how would i go about finding out if its still first edition?  i'm finally ready, and now consider myself enough of a kubrick fan, to shell out the dough for this. 

JG

is the purchase worth it without the frames?  amazon lists it as 126 now anyway. 

EDIT:  Nevermind.
Quote from: flagpolespecial on May 24, 2005, 06:51:47 PM
if you don't get the frames the book is still worth the money.

screw it, i'm getting it. 

Chest Rockwell

I think this is the frame I got, as it's the only one I've found that looks close to it.

And yes, the book itself is worth it; the frames were just the clincher.