Influences

Started by Big Owl, June 13, 2004, 07:47:01 AM

Big Owl

I think its cool to look at how Kubricks films/style has influenced other directors .

Who do you think is most influenced by Stanley or better still who do you think influenced him
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

ElPandaRoyal

What I think is kind of unique in Kubrick is the fact that (at least as far as my movie knowleage goes) he seemed to always look for the most original approach as he could, so I can't notice much influences. He may have done it, but they were either too subtle or taken from movies/photos/paintings I didn't know about. Actually, I think we can say that his main influences were books, since most of his movies were book adaptations.

On the other hand, there are not as many movies we see that we can say were Kubrick influenced. I think his voice was quite unique and it still is.
Si

mutinyco

I think there are lots of influences in his work, only his aloofness muted them. It's well-known that in the years preceding his switch to long, slow pacing, he was very much into the work of Antonioni and Fellini. As well, his fondness for David Lynch's work I'm sure influenced Eyes Wide Shut, a film in which I see touches of One From the Heart, as well as Julien Temple's episode in Aria. Also, the twins in The Shining are straight out of Diane Arbus.

The thing is though, once he had digested everything, he had to make it his own. He wasn't the type of director who reverently put in obvious references to other films the way Scorsese or Tarantino or many other modern filmmakers would. Although, of course, he did -- as with Singin' In the Rain, or all of the John Wayne references in FMJ -- but the difference with SK is that when he made references they were usually to flip them over. He didn't use them to show off or try to be cool, but to inverse their meaning -- a critique, if you will.

As a student of film, and somebody who watched EVERYTHING, he was definitely influenced. He loved Bergman, Bunuel, Chaplin, Ophuls, and Welles, who most probably influenced his use of wide-angles. Most of his favorite directors I think were European. What I find interesting about his films, and this comes from living in the UK, is that he brilliantly merged European progressiveness with American scale and directness. It was the merging of these 2 different worlds that created his best work -- and why, even though most of his films are about America, and made by an American, they certainly weren't the types of films a typical American would make; they were more cultured.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Leto sees "The Shining" in new Mars video

Jared Leto has worked painstakingly to be taken serious as a musician and not just another actor fooling around in a bar band.

His rock group 30 Seconds To Mars has sold a respectable 133,000 copies of its second record, "A Beautiful Lie," via Virgin Records, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and is in the middle of a sold out U.S. club tour.

But no matter how hard he tries, the heartthrob who sent teenage girls' hearts aflutter in the television show "My So-Called Life" and in such films as "Requiem for a Dream," "Fight Club" and "Lord of War" can't seem to leave the cinema world behind.

Leto, who sings, plays guitar and writes the 30 Seconds to Mars songs, will soon release a video for his band's new single, "The Kill" based on Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of the horror masterpiece "The Shining"

"It's a light homage," Leto, 34, told Reuters on Monday during a phone interview en route to a performance in San Diego. "I wanted to show four guys facing their identity. The foundation of this nightmare of isolation, madness and fear was the starting point, but there are some more avenues explored."

Filmed in Toronto, the video, a rough cut of which was provided to Reuters, shows the band spending some winter time in a deserted hotel and is peppered with references to Kubrick's film.

The band is seen skateboarding through meandering hallways and performing at a 1920's period ballroom party. When a member fails to stay away from a forbidden room, he is seduced by a ghostly apparition.

Eventually, the four musicians confront their alter egos as the video explores the idea of duplicity in a perhaps unintended parallel to Leto's double career.

"I'm not as fascinated by these two singular elements, there are other things that I do as well, but there are a lot of interesting parallels you can make regarding self-discovery and identity," he said.

Other actors such as Bruce Willis, Juliette Lewis and Kevin Bacon have tried their hand at music, but never made a sustained commercial impact.

Leto, who sports black painted nails and eyeliner in the video, has forged a contemporary, radio-friendly sound for his band, with strident angst-ridden vocals and cinematic arrangements.

"It's nice to be seen as a legitimate example of how to do things the right way," he said. "If the music is horrible, people won't listen, but if it's good some people will listen and will look beyond the stereotype."

Members of the 30 Seconds to Mars fan club, The Echelon, will get to see the video on the Internet within a week or so, according to Virgin.

Leto, who said he still had 12 pounds left to lose after gaining 62 to play John Lennon's murderer in the upcoming film "Chapter 27," will show a portion of the video during an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live on May 2. The full band will perform two songs on the show the next day.

The band will also play Chicago's Lollapalooza festival in August.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jigzaw

I've kind of felt that Tarantino was influenced by Kubrick even though he says he isn't.  Watching Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, I've noticed a very slow pace and tendency to follow characters as they walk around and some very interesting (even iconic) still compositions in Tarantino's work that feels similar Kubrick's style.  To me, anyway.

Pubrick

Quote from: jigzaw on June 11, 2006, 08:12:41 PM
I've kind of felt that Tarantino was influenced by Kubrick even though he says he isn't.  Watching Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, I've noticed a very slow pace and tendency to follow characters as they walk around and some very interesting (even iconic) still compositions in Tarantino's work that feels similar Kubrick's style.  To me, anyway.
then you need to watch more movies cos all you're noticing is the basic aesthetic composition of a steadicam or tracking shot. to place the characters in the middle of the frame as they walk, and to follow them slowly, is probably more characteristic of scorsese -- if that's the generation you've decided to focus on.
under the paving stones.

children with angels

P's right: the particular look of the steadicam shots you're talking about, with their rougher, more realist feel, is much more like Scorcese than Kubrick - they encourage a more visceral involvement too. A modern-day instance of Kubrick's colder, more detached steadicam style can be felt far more in Van Sant's last three films, I would say.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

jigzaw

Quote from: children with angels on June 12, 2006, 08:57:25 AM
P's right: the particular look of the steadicam shots you're talking about, with their rougher, more realist feel, is much more like Scorcese than Kubrick - they encourage a more visceral involvement too. A modern-day instance of Kubrick's colder, more detached steadicam style can be felt far more in Van Sant's last three films, I would say.

I really meant to emphasise the pacing and directing choices more than the look itelf.  The choice to follow Vincent on the slow walk from his car to Mia's door, for example.  Very slow and methodical, like Kubrick's following every step Bowman takes from the hatch to HAL's brain.  That's just one example.  But it's all subjective and not everyone agrees.

Reinhold

i think that kubrick and tarantino are fascinated with some of the same qualities in their characters and with the idea of cinema as a constructed medium. there are definitely aspects of tarantino's work that i bet kubrick would like, and there's no way that somebody can be as into film as tarantino claims to be and not be influenced by kubrick. there's some influence there. 
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

tpfkabi

After reading the Shining interview in the SK Archives, I am quite interested in this film. Seems to hard to get though - no DVD.

Not that I necessarily think it is an influence (hard to really know), but it is at least a film Kubrick admired.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0077613/

Girlfriends (1978)

Kubrick:

"That film, I thought, was one of the very rare American films that I would compare with the serious, intelligent, sensitive writing and filmmaking that you find in the best directors in Europe."

"It wasn't a success, I don't know why; it should have been. Certainly I thought it was a wonderful film. It seemed to make no compromise to the inner truth of the story, you know, the theme and everything else."

"This film that Claudia Weill did, I think she did on an amatuer basis; she shot it for about a year, two or three days a week. Of course she had a great advantage, because she had all the time she needed to think about it, to see what she had done. I thought she made the film extremely well."
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

matt35mm

And apparently Christopher Guest does a nude scene in it.

SOLD!

tpfkabi

I'm wondering if anyone here has even seen it.
The IMDB board only has a few posts (one or two being directly link to the Kubrick namedrop) and you can only find a handful of reviews for it online.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on November 28, 2007, 10:51:28 PM
IMDB board only has a few posts (one or two being directly link to the Kubrick namedrop) and you can only find a handful of reviews for it online.

then chances are no one here has seen it either.

i think it's great you're reading the SKA finally and all but there's a million obscure movies, books, and other artists that kubrick namedrops. don't be surprised if no one here has heard of them, i think you can assume that if no one commented on the film after your original post then it means no one has seen it. i've been looking for it myself since i got the book, it would be nice to see, sure. i've put it on the back burner and in the meantime hav found a whole lot of other great material kubrick name drops in there that has been infinitely more valuable than this movie could possibly be.

don't ask me what those things are. i'll share when i'm good and ready.

EDIT: have you only looked on IMDB? rotten tomatoes has a few unique reviews from professional critics and some info on purchasing on VHS. and there's other brief and extensive synopses to be found with a google search. i know you must be thinking it's the single most important piece of the puzzle that will bring all of kubrick together at once, but read the rest of the archives, it's really a minor comment in the grand scheme of his fandom.

your best bet is to buy it from amazon for $25, watch it, and tell us all about it.
under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

I saw it used at amazon on vhs for $4.45
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on November 28, 2007, 11:13:00 PM
Quote from: bigideas on November 28, 2007, 10:51:28 PM
IMDB board only has a few posts (one or two being directly link to the Kubrick namedrop) and you can only find a handful of reviews for it online.

then chances are no one here has seen it either.

Man you keep making biggie díaz life easy (that's how I pronounce it) and you couldn't make some simpsons' caps for me :yabbse-sad:

I know I have the capping power in my hands but not the time! Besides you're the simpsons' cap king.