Making of The Shining song

Started by Bud_Clay, April 28, 2004, 04:31:27 PM

Bud_Clay

Might anyone know what the song used near the end in the making of is called and by?

SoNowThen

I think his daughter talks about it on the commentary, but I could be wrong...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Bud_Clay

Hm..I don't think there is a commentary...atleast not on the dvd.

Alethia

there is a commentary for the documentary, not the film itself, on the dvd

Fernando

The first dvd that was released of The Shining didn't have a commentary track on the doc., later when they released the new boxset with the Harlan documentary and all of SK's flims since Lolita, that TS dvd had the commentary, also they made a huge improvement on the transfer of the film.

Pubrick

thanks for giving me an excuse to listen to vivian's brilliant commentary again..

she does talk about it, as it appears in the credits, the song is:
Sibelius: "Valse Triste"
arranged and performed by
WENDY CARLOS
under the paving stones.

Bud_Clay

Thank you thank you.  I just hope I can find it now.

mr_boz

Quote from: Pubrickthanks for giving me an excuse to listen to vivian's brilliant commentary again..

she does talk about it, as it appears in the credits, the song is:
Sibelius: "Valse Triste"
arranged and performed by
WENDY CARLOS

in case you're not up on the soundtrack lineage here................

WENDY CARLOS used to be WALTER CARLOS - he had a sex change.

he/she was an electronic music pioneer (no shit) and he/she also did the soundtrack to A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.  obivously, kubrick digs this dude/chick's work............
--ccb

Pubrick

everyone knows that.

welcome back.
under the paving stones.

Reel

Quote from: mr_boz on October 02, 2004, 01:06:37 AM
WENDY CARLOS used to be WALTER CARLOS - he had a sex change.

Quote from: Pubrick on October 02, 2004, 01:07:55 AM
everyone knows that.

Oh, wow. I didn't. I knew something was up with her, watching that featurette on the DVD.

ono

Seven and three fourths years.  Seven.  And three fourths.  Years.

This is where we intervene, Dirk.  Please lay off the coke before you get caught up in a firecracker crossfire drug deal gone bad.

Reel

Quote from: ono on July 09, 2012, 07:56:43 AM
Seven and three fourths years.  Seven.  And three fourths.  Years.

big whoop

theyarelegion

Reel

My brother bought this album by Hector Berlioz and was playing it loud when I noticed from the other room that it sounded strikingly familiar ( starting at 00:35 )

just thought it was cool.