Barry Lyndon

Started by Ghostboy, February 09, 2003, 02:18:02 AM

Ernie

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: ebeaman69:? From the people in the world that loathe ALL of his movies with a passion or from me not liking ONE of his movies? I'm confused.

i think he accidentally bought one of those spinning graves

Lol....oh, alright. Good, that's fine then. I didn't think I had the power to make somebody spin in their grave by not liking one of their movies. How could I? I'm 16.

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeaman69Lol....oh, alright. Good, that's fine then. I didn't think I had the power to make somebody spin in their grave by not liking one of their movies. How could I? I'm 16.
my message wasn't even dissing u but maybe giving a clue as to why u didn't understand the jokes in the film. obviously u didn't understand the message either. relax. and try not to reply to this.

TIP: don't freak out and try to defend everything u say.

ur cool, but too much Leno makes me claw my eyes out.
under the paving stones.

©brad

beaman, buddy- relax. meant no offense with my comment either. its all shits and giggles this message board, yes? feel free to make fun of me, lord knows its pretty easy.

just out of curiosity, how many of these did you take today?

remember dude, it says take one tablet...[/b]

Pubrick

Quote from: cbrad4dfeel free to make fun of me,
go and boil ur bottom, u son of a silly person. i blow my nose at u.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: P
Quote from: cbrad4dfeel free to make fun of me,
go and boil ur bottom, u son of a silly person. i blow my nose at u.

see how easy that was beaman? it just rolls off my back- all good and fun, don't take anything personally.

now, err, uhh, excuse me while I, uhh, I need to blow my nose.

why is everyone so mean to me?

Ernie

Alright, I am truly sorry cbrad and Pubrick...I fucked up, my bad. I misunderstood your posts. It seems that I can't fucking help but do that anymore. Sorry sorry sorry again.

Lol, I didn't take the ritalin...I should look into that, thank you. And I would never make fun of you by the way. I don't do that, even outside of the internet I never do that.

What did you mean by the "Leno" thing by the way Pubrick? Just wondering so I can make sure I'm not doing it anymore. Thank you.

RegularKarate

You keep gettin' closer Ebe... one of these days you won't blow it.

tip: don't reply to this

Kumar

Um I would just like to say that Barry Lyndon is a masterpeice of a quality that few directors will ever achieve.
When the going gets werid, the werid turn pro.

Kumar

Quote from: GhostboyBTW, found this interesting site that offers a lot of in-depth insight into all Kubrick's works...

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/

I was also wondering if other directors have sites like this?
When the going gets werid, the werid turn pro.

USTopGun47

Barry Lyndon is great from a visual standpoint.  It's lush and it puts me to sleep, not saying that's a bad thing!  Kubrick is all about pace, the changing emotions on the face over time tell the story.  It's more real that way, longer, more sleep inducing, more beautiful.  I don't think it's his greatest work from, well, an entertaining standpoint obviously.  It's more like being at an art museum for 24 hours.  Great and exhausting.  2 viewings however is enough for me.   :-D
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

modage

i just got around to watching this movie and didnt particularly care for it.  i think i am a bit prejudice to most movies of that era of white wigs and black moles and such.  i didnt get down with amadeus either although im sure they were both fine films, they put me to sleep.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

Apparently, Scorsese is really into Barry Lyndon.

There is a very stylized and emotionally remote quality to the film that is off-putting to most people.  One of the keys to the film is Kubrick starts a lot of shots in close up, then pulls back for a long shot, so the effect is like a landscape painting come to life.  The lighting, the costumes, the mise en scene is of the highest quality.  The cinematography alone makes this a landmark film, as it influenced pretty much everything that came afterwards (Days of Heaven, most significantly, which with its golden hour cinematography has been endlessly influential).
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

Quote from: soixanteApparently, Scorsese is really into Barry Lyndon.

There is a very stylized and emotionally remote quality to the film that is off-putting to most people.  One of the keys to the film is Kubrick starts a lot of shots in close up, then pulls back for a long shot, so the effect is like a landscape painting come to life.  The lighting, the costumes, the mise en scene is of the highest quality.  The cinematography alone makes this a landmark film, as it influenced pretty much everything that came afterwards (Days of Heaven, most significantly, which with its golden hour cinematography has been endlessly influential).

i just read a Billy Wilder interview that i thought was really interesting where he talked about Barry Lyndon.  what he basically said was that that close up pull back thing, was effective the first few times and then quickly lost impact, (which i would agree with).  he also said that some of the shots in the movie were as beautiful as anything he'd ever seen, but anytime you have time to stop and say "wow, look how neat that shot is", you're not too invested in the actual story.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I've always disagreed with that statement about being aware of the beauty of the shot. I think it works perfectly well for this story. For a master of composition like Kubrick, each shot carries so much significance (visual and narrative), I think Wilder's dead wrong...

And the more you saw the zoom out, as Barry's story progressed, I felt it gained more and more impact.

Oh well... a wonderful film, just saw for the first time last night.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: GhostboySo who is looking forward to Ryan O'Neal's upcoming film, 'Malibu's Most Wanted?' It's a gangsta action comedy also starring Jamie Kennedy and Snoop Dog as the voice of a talking rat.

it was his love of barry lyndon, that lead snoop to taking the part