The ones that never were

Started by Duck Sauce, February 06, 2003, 12:49:06 AM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Ghostboy

On a more serious note, has anyone read Brian Aldiss' original short story that inspired AI? It's great.

I have and I agree. What was the title of it again? Something lasts all something?

Ghostboy

Super Toys Last All Summer Long.

adolfwolfli

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedi think that the whole "a.i." thing is a conspiracy. a lie created by spielberg to take over kubricks project without being called a thief. i think kubrick inteaded to make this film when the technology had advanced enough to his liking, not told spielberg that he should make it cause its more his "type of movie." but then he, well... he unfortunately left this world. spielberg then didnt skip a beat by moving in on his project. who knows, maybe spielberg is even responsible for kubricks... MURDER. yeah i said it. spielberg STOLE a.i. from kubrick.

Demented, you're being ironic and sarcastic, right?  It is well documented that the two were mutual admirers of each other's work, had many long discussions on the phone well into the night, and at one point Kubrick decided he would only produce A.I. for Spielberg after Kubrick saw "Jurassic Park", thinking that Steven had a better handle on the digital effects techniques needed to pull off A.I.  Kubrick was a fan of all of Spielberg's films with the exeption of Schindler's List - he said that the Halocaust was about the millions of people that died and Spielberg had made a movie about the couple hundred that lived...anyway, Spielberg took over A.I. with Stanley's full blessing, and was allowed total access to all the pre-production materials he had amassed since he first began super-toying with the idea.

That being said, I am not a fan of how the movie turned out...

Cecil

Quote from: adolfwolfliDemented, you're being ironic and sarcastic, right?

sar-what? no, i honestly believe that spielberg murdered kubrick and then sold his beard to jackson. how many times do i have to say this? kubrick was just humoring spielberg with those phone calls. "so spielberg," giggles" "whats your opinion on the auteur theory?"  "well, q-brick..."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I really wonder how it would've been if Kubrick did it all.  Damn you Speilberg.  Damn you.  Why did you have to kill Kubrick?  But watch out, Cecil is on to you.  And he hates mainstream cinema.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

from the new Entertainment Weekly...

CATCHING UP WITH STANLEY KUBRICK
Like Tupac and Jim Croce, Stanley Kubrick- who directed just three movies in the last two decades-is slowly becoming more prolific in death than he was in life.  First came Eyes Wide Shut, which opened four months after Kubricks passing.  Then there was A.I., a longitme project ultimately made by Steven Spielberg.  And now two more movies are on their way.  One, a 50's thriller called "Lunatic at Large", emerges from an arcane corner of teh filmmakers legend having to do with a treatment he commisioned from his Paths of Glory co-screenwriter, pulp author Jim Thompson, and then misplaced.  For some 40 years the manuscript was considered MIA-until producer Phillip Hobbs (who, as Kubricks son-in-law, worked closely with him on Full Metal Jacket and other projects) dug it up recently while sifting through some old papers.  According to Hobbs, Lunatic will, "with luck...be in production in late 2004."  Ditto "God Fearing Man", an early 20th centruy drama that would be the first original Kubrick-pened script produced since 1955's Killers Kiss.  No word on who'll star or direct.  "Stanley was involved in both projects in 1956 and 1957," says Hobbs, "and he never forgot either."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Disco Kid

I remember reading that Kubrick had something like 1500 storyboards done for AI. Has anyone seen these? Does anyone know where I would be able to find them?

ono

I read he burned/destroyed everything even remotely related to 2001 so that no one could make a sequel even after he died.  Sadly, his efforts failed.  At least I'm told the sequel still sucks.  Haven't seen it myself, though.

modage

but he was alive when 2010 came out?

also, i'm shocked that the news that a kubrick script being made by someone else hasnt lit the board afire with controversy.  i'm both ecstatic and terrified about it.  i guess it depends on whos doing it.  my interest is piqued though either way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: themodernage02from the new Entertainment Weekly...

CATCHING UP WITH STANLEY KUBRICK
"God Fearing Man", an early 20th centruy drama that would be the first original Kubrick-pened script produced since 1955's Killers Kiss.  No word on who'll star or direct.  "Stanley was involved in both projects in 1956 and 1957," says Hobbs, "and he never forgot either."

Quote from: themodernage02
i'm shocked that the news that a kubrick script being made by someone else hasnt lit the board afire with controversy. i'm both ecstatic and terrified about it. i guess it depends on whos doing it. my interest is piqued though either way.

DITTO.

:shock:  :shock: GOD HELP US ALL   :shock:  :shock:

Pubrick

sigh.

- original screenplays were not his thing. they will be less than great.
- if they didn't get made it was for a reason.
- who the EFF will direct them anyway? tom tykwer probably *falls asleep*
- really. his thing was that he adapted books and totally raped them to create sumthing amazing.

bad good news.
under the paving stones.

LostEraser

Quote from: Cecili think that the whole "a.i." thing is a conspiracy. a lie created by spielberg to take over kubricks project without being called a thief.

I actually agree with this and always have (though I'm hesitant to say so since I see how many people here disagree with it). I remember following the progress of both EWS and A.I. obsessively many years ago. And it was only after Kubricks death that I heard all this stuff about how he was planning to give the project to Speilberg the whole time.

It may be true that Kubrick suggested to Spielberg that he direct the film, and I do know that they both did admire each others work. But Kubrick has been known to suggest a lot of things that never ended up happening (i.e. hiring composers or writers that he never ended up working with). So I think that if Kubrick had lived he most defintly would have directed A.I. himself.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: LostEraserSo I think that if Kubrick had lived he most defintly would have directed A.I. himself.

Who cares? He didn't.
Si

Big Owl

KUBRICK LIVES . But sadly could only fulfill his ambitions to create "Spy Kids" under a different identity. He was also in hiding for several years as an austrian shepard -farming goats and other livestock ....in austria
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

LostEraser

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal
Quote from: LostEraserSo I think that if Kubrick had lived he most defintly would have directed A.I. himself.

Who cares? He didn't.

Well, I guess I can't argue with that.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra