Any clue how to purchase or watch the early stuff...

Started by jokerspath, June 06, 2003, 10:32:20 AM

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

If you haven't seen them, "The Killer" and "Killer's Kiss" are widely available (and on Netflix).

RegularKarate

Seriously though, I've seen all of these and Day of the Fight is really the only one that I would REALLY like to own.

Of course, for collections sake, I would like to have everything Kubrick, but the rest are only "interesting" because you can see how he started to get that Kubrick feel.

Fear and Desire... man, I'm glad I've seen it, but it's kind of funny how bad it is compared to all his other films.  I mean I can see why he didn't want anyone to ever see it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoOr "HHHHUUUMMMMM..." in your case...

Except that P's avatar is a bee.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinExcept that P's avatar is a bee.
that's no bee.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: aclockworkjjthat's no bee.

Oh, it's a bee...

mutinyco

Looks like a humming bird. I've never seen a green bee. In that case, BBBUUUUZZZZZ...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

rustinglass

I stumbled upon the flying padre on a peer2peer last night! I had to download it. It's really fun to watch and it has some truly great shots, particularly the last one.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ash

You can download all of Kubrick's early films from -

www.emule-project.net

They are all pretty good quality too. :yabbse-thumbup:

Lord Rocksavage

I just ordered two copies of Fear and Desire plus a copy of the Stanley Kubrick collection (1951-1953) off ebay.  The collection DVD has Fear and Desire plus early shortrs.  It does not contain however the Early American short that he was second unit director on (the name escapes me just now).  All this stuff was reasonably priced though seller admits that Fear and desire is not A quality.  I'm really glad to get them.

L.R.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Reinhold

we watched the fear and desire available for purchase online in class... the copy we had was almost impressively awful. it looked like a 25th-generation VHS.

if you're interested in seeing it in 35mm, there's a print at the Eastman theater in Rochester, NY. they do screenings for students who call ahead of time. a letter of introduction from a prof probably isn't a bad idea, either.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Stanley Kubrick's First Color Film, 'The Seafarers,' Streaming on IndieFlix
The 1953 documentary helped Kubrick fund his first feature 'Fear and Desire'
Source: Variety

IndieFlix has landed the rights to stream Stanley Kubrick's first color film, the documentary "The Seafarers."

"The Seafarers," available now, will be part of IndieFlix's Royalty Pool Minutes payment model, which pays filmmakers based on how many minutes their films are watched on devices that offer IndieFlix, from smartphones to smart TVs, rather than a flat licensing fee.

Released in October 1953, the 30-minute short film is considered one of the key pieces of the Kubrick filmography, considering it's the first color feature Kubrick directed and produced.

Written by Will Chasen and narrated by CBS News' Don Hollenbeck, the documentary extolls the benefits of membership to the Seafarers International Union, the largest North American union representing merchant mariners.

"The Seafarers" is notable not only for its use of color, but because it features an extended dolly shot that tips its hat to other signature cinematic tricks Kubrick was later noted for in his more popular pics. Money earned from the film helped Kubrick fund his first feature, "Fear and Desire," released in 1953. It had previously been distributed on DVD in 2008 and was the third documentary short that he produced.

"Many of today's greatest directors got their start in the independent film space, so getting the rights to an early work of such an important filmmaker is a huge honor," said Scilla Andreen, CEO of IndieFlix. "It shows that we're doing something right."

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/stanley-kubricks-first-color-film-the-seafarers-streaming-on-indieflix-1200576897/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

The Seafarers is also available as an HD extra on the Masters of Cinema release of Fear and Desire, as well as Kino's release of Fear and Desire, however, the MoC also contains Kubrick's early short films Day of the Flight (1951) and Flying Padre (1951).

Pubrick

that's all well and good but there is almost nothing of value in these films. if anything they taint a perfect record.

people should be encouraged to watch EWS once a year and they'd get a billion times more reward than ever watching The Seafarers or Day of the Fight or whatever else he disowned. i regret watching his early films, just as he would be completely against their re-release.

they should be treated as a perverted curio. suitable to obsessive compulsive completists, but not to serious film enthusiasts. there are much more important things to watch than something that is best forgotten by all.
under the paving stones.