Any clue how to purchase or watch the early stuff...

Started by jokerspath, June 06, 2003, 10:32:20 AM

jokerspath

Granted, its probably poor quality and nothing at all like the Kubrick we know but, out of curiosity, is it possible to purchase or watch any of the early Kubrick stuff, like Day Of The Fight and Flying Padre (is there anything else besides the Seafarers?).

I know The Seafarers was released on video a while ago, and I've had little to no luck finding a way to purchase it (I also heard it was gonna get put on DVD, but who knows if that's true)...

And on a side note, I was under the impression that the Kubrick docu. that came w/ the box set was getting released as a double DVD, possibly coming with the new book of the same name.  Anyone have information on that?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

MacGuffin

Quote from: jokerspathAnd on a side note, I was under the impression that the Kubrick docu. that came w/ the box set was getting released as a double DVD, possibly coming with the new book of the same name.  Anyone have information on that?

Click here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jokerspath

Really hope that thing comes out soon, if at all...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

ono

I've been wondering about when that set is going to come out for several months now.  Still no word on Amazon.com.  Any ideas?  (Amazon always seems to be a bit behind on release dates.)

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

I just was looking this up to see if they had a release date and it says this:
Availability: This item will be released on December 31, 2025. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

That's pretty rad.  Had anybody else already caught this?  I assume its either 1) a joke (not too likely), 2) a mistake, or 3) the furthest date in their computer for when something has no discernible release date and instead of taking it down, they put this up.  Its gonna be a good New Year's Eve.  Happy 2026 everyone!!

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

filmcritic

Man, I can't wait over 20 years for the documentary!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Cecil

i think theyre waiting for kubrick to resurrect

jokerspath

I know this is more of a completist's idea of a wet dream, but rumors abound about The Seafarers coming to DVD soon.  I was in contact with a guy who claimed he was close to putting them out (who had posts on amk saying the same thing in '99) and that he was bringing in a few people to do a commentary and working out the kinks.  And now I hear that Roger Avary and Keith Gordon did some sort of commentary for it recently (how does one discuss a little seen promotional film that bears little to no directorial stamp?).  

Anyway, this was the initial reason I came to this board (the first post on this thread might be my actual first post), to find the rare Kubrick stuff and talk about his films.  Now I'm hooked.  Good times...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Pwaybloe

Quote from: filmcriticMan, I can't wait over 20 years for the documentary!

Dude, you'll only be 25 then!

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Spike

I would like to see "Day of the Fight". It was Kubricks very first experience in filmmaking.
Is "Fear and Desire" a feature-film or a short?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

jokerspath

Quote from: SpikeIs "Fear and Desire" a feature-film or a short?

IMDB has it listed as 68 min.  

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

mutinyco

Fear and Desire is considered a feature. Avary and Gordon did record commentary for The Seafarers-- Avary talked about it on his website. If you put Kubrick's films together in order you'll see basically the chronology of the first successful indie filmmaker. He started out making cheap movies with his family's help, then graduated to small studio pictures, then total control over massive productions. He set the paradigm for the modern ideal. Everybody from Scorsese to Coppola to the Coens to Raimi on up has followed this path...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

under the paving stones.