Kubrick's Odyssey - A Documentary on The Shining by Jay Weidner

Started by HeywoodRFloyd, October 19, 2012, 08:37:42 PM

HeywoodRFloyd

Has anyone else seen this documentary, also is there a thread dedicated to it? I can't seem to find one.

This is an incredibly fascinating documentary, very compelling, with some very valid points. I'm not sure I believe all of it, and I probably don't

but The Shining analysis is so so interesting.

I watched this before I watched Room 237. And in Room 237, Jay Weidner comes across as a nut, as do most of the interviewees.

Room 237 is so much less compelling than this documentary though, and the fact that Rodney Ascher assembles the doc in such a way, that he first takes the piss out of all the theorists by including heaps of silly theories (by the theorists own doing of course)

and then when extremely valid points are brought forth, the whole theatre kept dismissing it and laughing, I was extremely pissed off by this. There are some theories that were utterly fascinating and you could see some truth to it, but because it was assembled in a satiric fashion to begin with, the sheep of an audience (Which was a film festival audience for that matter, go figure) found it comedic and pitiful. That's why I don't entirely like Room 237.

Kubrick's Odyssey on the other hand, may be a little out there and crazy, but nonetheless really fascinating & compelling. In the final moments there is another reveal which is when I had wow moment. I hope most of you can check it out, it's only 1hour 10minutes or so long.

You can watch the entire doc on vimeo here: http://vimeo.com/34039692