NAPOLEON

Started by cowboykurtis, April 05, 2003, 10:08:47 PM

cowboykurtis

has any one heard that a warner brothers is tyring to get kubricks Napoleon screenplay produced?
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

I have learned however that Warner Brothers is planning to produce the film based on Kubrick's script. Details are sketchy and no director has been announced yet. However the Internet is a vast and wonderful place and I have learned of rumors that Ridley Scott is interested in the script. Almost no details exist yet to confirm or deny this rumor, but it certainly is an interesting one.

Rest of article here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

If it does happen and for some reason Scott won't do it.. they should hunt down Julie Taymor.

ElPandaRoyal

Maybe Jean-Pierre Jeunet could do it, with Dominique Pinon as Napoleon himself.
Si

mutinyco

I don't know of any directors out there who'd have ability to make a film like Barry Lyndon. So I'm not sure who a good directorial choice for this would be. A director with that little pity.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Gamblour.

Danny Devito for Napoleon!   :wink:
WWPTAD?

mutinyco

Too old. Maybe Topher Grace!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

What about me for Napoleon? I'm short in stature and everything... I can't act though, but I don't see why it could be such a problem. I'm gonna keep my eyes wide open for casting sessions for the film and in a few year, you'll see me at the Academy Awards, with that golden dildo-like thing in my hand and thanking the Xixax boards who told me about the movie that was going to be made and then, well, I'd wake up and realize I had been dreaming and my life life is the same and I'm wearing the same five dollar shoes everyday.

Sorry for this post. I'm on crack.
Si

cine

My vote goes to Peter Dinklage:

Keep those jazz hands up, Peter! You're doing great!

Cecil

no no no, napoleon should be a complete cgi creation as to further kill the artform

cowboykurtis

has anyone heard anything new about this?

modage

last i heard, kubrick was still dead.

just kidding, ck.  

but seriously, he is dead.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

When I was at the Kubrick exhibit earlier this year, someone asked Jan Harlan about that, and he said (if I remember correctly) that they did want to still make it, but that the prospects of it scared a lot of people. I know he mentioned Ang Lee at one point, although it might have been in a different context....

cowboykurtis

I've been trying to think of directors that could pull this off - obviously no one could do justice to kubrick's vision

my stock in ang lee has plumetted.

i'd imagine many filmmakers being intimidated by this -- would be a lot on their shoulders in teh critical community. they'd almost be setting themselves up for scrutiny and failure.

I had read an article about 2 years ago that Mark Romanek had expressed interest. From what I can gather Romanek is a hardcore kubrick admirer/wannabe - i've even heard that the beard he wears was bought/stolen from the kubrick estate.

i just hope spielberg doesnt take a crack at it.

id be curious to see Polanski take a crack

Ghostboy

Your Ang Lee stock should come back up after Brokeback Mountain comes out in the fall. Which will then be followed by a slight slide if he does a Crouching Tiger prequel.

Jonathan Glazer has Romanek beat, as far as Kubrickation goes. Terence Malick would be an interesting choice, perhaps. Michael Mann does well with biopics and historical epics, so he could combine the two.