the best anti-war songs

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 15, 2003, 06:51:27 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I'll start with an obvious one: Edwin Starr's "War"...

War. Huh. Good God, y'all...

Pedro

Marvin Gaye
"What's goin on"

MacGuffin

"For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

neatahwanta

Who'll Stop The Rain - CCR

Wooden Ships - CSN

Sigur Rós

Bob Dylan - Hard rains gonna fall

.....I think that's what it's called  :-D

Cecil

"bring the boys back home," "vera," "the day the tigers broke free" (on the film pink floyd: the wall), and the entire album "the final cut" by pink floyd.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI'll start with an obvious one: Edwin Starr's "War"...

War. Huh. Good God, y'all...

in a weird ironic twist edwin starr the guy who sang this song died right after the war in iraq started creepy

RegularKarate

While that's sad, it's not really worthy of the title "Ironic"

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarateWhile that's sad, it's not really worthy of the title "Ironic"

Not like rain on your wedding day, or a black fly in your chardonnay.  That's ironic.  Don't you think?

Sorry.  I'm done now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Right, as I'm sure you're aware, almost nothing in that song is actually ironic (Poor Allanis, You Oughta Know what Irony is)...

I get tired of the misuse of that word sometimes, but under my skin lately is that Car commercial with the Celine Dion song where she says "Don't you find it IRONICAL"... don't fucking say that... while the dictionary has accepted it as an actual word, it's only because people refuse to stop saying it...

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKaratebut under my skin lately is that Car commercial with the Celine Dion song where she says "Don't you find it IRONICAL"...

Thank god, someone else is as bugged by that as I am.  Same thing with the Incubus song "Drive", where he says "waver" (or "waiver") where he means "waive".

And now... back to the topic.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleuth

Wait, one more post on that ironic business

Is the fact that almost nothing is ironic in the song "Ironic" ironic in itself?  Maybe that was her intention
I like to hug dogs

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

its ironic in that he may of had a chance to have a comeback amongst phoney rich college kids who are yellin " down with war"

he could of been the new thom yourke :: removes tounge from cheek::

ShanghaiOrange

"Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2