Inside Llewyn Davis

Started by MacGuffin, June 11, 2011, 06:21:06 PM

jenkins

polkablues, really liked what you said about inside llewyn davis the other minute

super enjoy when movies make people talk about their emotions. and i also related to llewyn! my personal struggle, busted. busted so good. i wonder how theodore you'll be during her. seems like a great question

Cloudy

I've been singing "hang me, oh hang me" for days guys. Saw it again. I Absolutely love this film. Completely agree with all of Polka's statements. THE story! Thanks for your words.

Lottery

So effing brilliant.

Mercilessly beating the protagonist is nothing new to The Coens but even when Llewyn tries to fight back (unlike Barton and Larry), he just can't win.

KINDA SPOILERS

This is almost irrelevant but at the back of my mind I was reminded of the end of The Dark Tower series- he's back at the start but things have changed ever so slightly. We have progress, slow, incremental progress. But will that ultimately save him?

Alexandro

The Coens can be really brutal sometimes. This notion of the lone ranger, the idea of "if you just keep doing it, if you sacrifice everything for your dreams, they become true", they just destroy it. I love that such depressing, sardonic views on humanity are made with such expertise and taste, and I don't think Ive ever seen a more straight film about artistic broken dreams.

Llewyn Davis is an asshole, yeah. Kind of. He's a good musician too. But he will never be a star. Just put him next Justin Timberlake and see the difference crystal clear. One warms you up instantly, the other doesn't. Yet no one is who they think they are, never in a Coens film, and less so here. Every character shows up to has his or her facade teared down. But by the end, is this guy getting it? Will he be happy just being who he is? The Coens don't really give an answer, and who knows if they have one.

I think the film will grow in me as I rewatch it. It's mercilessly cold, but in retrospect that's one of the main reasons you fall in love with it.