Do I even like movies?

Started by Derek, September 09, 2003, 08:18:23 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Meatballmovies don't make people geniuses. if anything they make jackasses.

What genius isn't eccentric?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Unless I really love a movie, I don't buy the DVD if I can rent it easily. If I own the VHS from years back and don't care to have it improved to a widscreen DVD, I don't update my VHS. I actually prefer having movies like The Fugitive, Jurassic Park and American Pie 2 just on VHS. Thus the majority of my collection are the films I can't get a hold of easily. They are a lot of Criterions and other DVDs that I could never dream for the life of being able to rent anywhere. Also many times I cherish the DVD not just because of the film, but because of a commentary or documentary that goes along with it. Considering I am going to a film school soon, having these DVDs in a surplus I find to be very helpful. Just using Nextflix wouldn't be the same because if I had to write a paper or something with just a two week notice I may not always be able to get it in proper time. And also the mind is just fucking impulsive on wanting to watch a certain commentary.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI actually prefer having movies like The Fugitive, Jurassic Park and American Pie 2 just on VHS.

I like having Slacker and Zelig on VHS.  I wasn't a big VHS buyer, so few of my DVDs are upgrades anyways.

Quote from: Walrus
Quote from: Meatballmovies don't make people geniuses. if anything they make jackasses.

What genius isn't eccentric?

Jesuschrist, Aristoteles, the guys at pixar...
context, context, context.

in a conversation similar to this, i once compared films to cars(despite my genuine apathy towards the subject of them), and said that a person would not prefer a mechanically sound and technically 'perfect' vehicle to one, the backseat of which, they lost their virginity in. and my point through this metaphor was that you can find definite fault in a film, and compare two films with fact instead of opinion in order to define them as textbook 'bad' and 'good', but if you have no direct natural chemistry and emotional relationship to the film then it is like an adopted mother or a rich boyfriend your father approves of.

peaceisourprofession

I don't even go to the movie theatre anymore, unless it's the cheap flicks. It's the price coupled with the fact that I am so afraid I am going to spend another 8 dollars on a shitty movie. And no movie is safe anymore, it may even be a movie by a trusted director, a movie with your favorite actor, there's just no guarentee that that my eight dollars will be put to good use. I realize I am being bitchy, and sometimes it's my own damned fault. (like going to see dude where's my car in theatre, not a proud moviergoer moment, i know, i know)
"I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." - Mother Theresa
excerpt from her nobel prize acceptance speech

socketlevel

yeah once a year i like to look over my collection and do a little spring-cleaning.  i usually find 5-10 that i don't want anymore and i pawn them, you know a film or two i bought on a whim that sucked, or one that i really should have never bought because it wasn't nearly as good as i remember or even the odd dvd that is just a shame i bought in the first place.

lol, maybe i'm materialistic with the dvds but it feels cleansing.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Ravi

Quote from: socketlevelyeah once a year i like to look over my collection and do a little spring-cleaning.  i usually find 5-10 that i don't want anymore and i pawn them, you know a film or two i bought on a whim that sucked, or one that i really should have never bought because it wasn't nearly as good as i remember or even the odd dvd that is just a shame i bought in the first place.

I tried to do this recently and found that I didn't have that many DVDs I didn't want anymore.  Perhaps there have been 5-7 in all the DVDs I've bought since 1999.

w/o horse

This thread has inspired me and I am going to sell some DVDs based on this criteria:  Does the movie in question have something which I would like to see repeated in a film, either one of my own or another's.  Or:  can I say that another film does not better say what this film says?

Any that doesn't fit the bill is gone.  If I go through my collection with this mindset I feel like I can get rid of classics I am hanging onto for only the reason that they are classics.  Also I need to get rid of foreign films that do nothing but prove that I own foreign films.  Adios The Crime of Padro Amaro.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

I somewhat believe in selling DVDs that have little value anymore to me, but I'm too much of an enthusiast to do so. I care enough about my collection where one day I'll surely be John Cusack in High Fidelity and catalogue my collection chronologically to when I bought them or saw them.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I never really thought about selling my DVD's, then I read the "I sold all my DVD's" thread and figured I could do without a few of them.  I pawned off a bunch, and then picked up some movies I had been meaning to buy.  I think it's better to have a sharper, tighter collection than keeping every DVD that comes your way.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

w/o horse

So I sold:  Vulgar, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Waking Life, The Crying Game, Dogma, Batman the Movie, The English Patient, Platoon, Blair Witch Project, Lawrence of Arabia, Heavenly Creatures, North by Northwest, Metropolis (anime), The Crime of Padre Amaro, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Scream 3, The Game, The Sixth Sense, The Untouchables, Sleepy Hollow, Darkman, American Graffiti, Monty Python Live!, Project Greenlight Stolen Summer, Deer Hunter, Red Dragon, and The Exorcist.

In return I got:

I know what you guys mean about regretting it though.  On the way home I was thinking "why didn't I do this earlier?"

The difference was $1.19.  I also traded in the copes of Chunging Express and Fallen Angels that I already owned.  Also, I plan on rebuying The Crying Game in collector's edition form.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Losing the Horse:North by Northwest

Sacrilegious.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Losing the Horse:North by Northwest

Sacrilegious.
Typical.

There are many better Hitchcocks as far as I'm concerned.  Certainly many that are much more dense.  I watched it a couple of weeks ago and I was bored out of my mind.

The first couple of times I saw it, yeah.  Good times.  I'm glad it's a part of my film knowledge.  I just don't want/need to own the movie.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks