Summer Reading

Started by The Silver Bullet, July 24, 2003, 05:01:09 AM

modage

Quote from: The Silver BulletI wrote a short piece about the current irrelevance of the Sight & Sound poll, and why and how the S&S system needs to change. Check it out.

the sight and sound poll is broken up into two polls.  one for critics and one for directors.  on the directors poll....

1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather Part One and Two
3. 8 ½
4. Lawrence of Arabia
5. Dr. Strangelove
6. The Bicycle Theif
6. Raging Bull
6. Vertigo
9. Rashomon
9. La Regle Du Jeu
9. Seven Samurai

so, actually Raging Bull (1980) did make the cut.  but its really up to the directors and critics to be more daring with their choices.  if you look over who voted for what there are unique choices on there.  however, they dont receive the unanimous acclaim as citizen kane, godfather, etc.  so while 7 of the 10 pics on ones list may be quirky oddities, if those other 3 votes are for the popular films, they end up being the ones to make the cut.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Silver Bullet

Yeah. I was aware of the Director's Poll, but left it out of the entry. Not because is "disproved" my point so much, but because I didn't really have the time or desire to write about Raging Bull being an exception. Still, no masterpieces since 1981 onwards in that poll either. That's still twenty-two years. The point, I feel, still stands.

And yeah. I know that other films get "nominated" and so on and so forth, but, nyeh...what are you going to do?

The point of the matter is that the general consensus really needs to be less stringent...
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Gold Trumpet

I'm glad the list is for older films generally instead. The list is fact in nothing. It just is helpful in recommending movies for people trying to get into world cinema or older movies. For what it can do, it does its job fine. I'm just pissed L'Avventura is continuing to be a film that is absent from the list even if being on it 30 and 40 years ago or so. I'd have it in the top 5.

~rougerum

atticus jones

everytime you volunteer your opinion it reminds me (me) ... your current job making no cents doesnt pay...

classifieds : an opening that needs filling exists currently in the area between lowerback and upperthigh why oh mang...looking for head of deep part meant to increase volume and to maximize gayns...

sound lyke an interestng ca rear move for you...

happy hunting
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

The Silver Bullet

QuoteIt just is helpful in recommending movies for people trying to get into world cinema or older movies.
Where does it say that anywhere, GT? Honestly?

"This poll was conducted so you know where to go in terms of older films. Enjoy!"

Anywhere? I'm not buying it. There has to be a place for newer films. To believe that the best is well behind us is pretty ridiculous. There has been fine work in each age of cinema, and this one is no exception.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Gold Trumpet

You're right, Silver Bullet, good taste is in every age. The selection of the films on the list just mirror the average of people voting for it. It also doesn't endorse any Blockbuster deals, but what purpose can it serve besides getting people to see these films? Its just another list but at least has some older and more obscure films highlighted. Nothing wrong in that. Give the list another 40 years and finally movies of this generation will be showing up for the mere fact half of the voting team will likely be dead.

~rougerum

ono

Did anyone ever get to read the full version of this essay?  Does anyone know how I could get a copy of it?