Filmmakers who lost their sheep

Started by Pro T-Bono, January 13, 2004, 11:32:56 PM

Alethia

Quote from: soixanteFemme Fatale, in my opinion, is not a return to form for De Palma.  It is more like an excuse to shoot lots of nude scenes.

so were most of his other great movies lol....well it was certainly more DePalma than fuckin Mission To Mars (*puke*)

MacGuffin

Quote from: soixanteHis earlier films seemed to be exercises in flashy cinematography, not cinema.

Go watch "Thema & Louise".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Quote from: soixanteBlack Hawk Down is the first Ridley Scott film I ever really liked.  His earlier films seemed to be exercises in flashy cinematography, not cinema

And Black Hawk Down isn't?

pookiethecat

i have always been satifsfied with scott's movies.  they're flashy and not made with an artistic spirit, but i always enjoy them as entertainment.  he always produces digestible, blockbuster entertainment that isn't offensive to the intelligence.  i always liked his Alien better than Cameron's Aliens.  And White Squall was touching and truly tragic.
i wanna lick 'em.

pete

steven soudenburgh lost it.
Tarantino had a theory from the Charlie Rose interview about great directors that'd lost it that made a lotta sense to me.  It's pretty long so you should read it for yourself over here:

http://tarantino.webds.de/tarantino/archive/interviews/charlierose_int.htm
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

it's about filmmakers who  did a very personal film that bombed and the  their careers went  down.
context, context, context.

Redlum

Thanks for posting that. I was hooked from the moment I started reading.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Quote from: ®edlumThanks for posting that. I was hooked from the moment I started reading.

it's all on the Pulp Fiction SE DVD... in case you're interested.  Quentin wears an amazing astroboy green tie.
context, context, context.

Redlum

Crap. Obviously I didn't look very closely at the special features, then.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

soixante

If filmmakers can lose it, they can regain it.  Soderbergh's first film was great, his next two (Kafka, The Underneath) sucked.  He went back to square one, making a very low budget, experimental film (Schizopolis), then found his footing making crime dramas (Out of Sight, The Limey, Traffic).

Same with Gus Van Sant, who has gone back to his experimental, low budget roots with Gerry and Elephant after doing a few Hollywood major studio films.

I'm waiting for Francis Ford Coppola to regain it.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Alethia

pookiethecat

Quote from: soixanteIf filmmakers can lose it, they can regain it.  Soderbergh's first film was great, his next two (Kafka, The Underneath) sucked.  He went back to square one, making a very low budget, experimental film (Schizopolis), then found his footing making crime dramas (Out of Sight, The Limey, Traffic)..

you're forgetting the recent abominations of oceans 11, full frontal, and erin brockovich.
i wanna lick 'em.

Redlum

Quote from: pookiethecat

you're forgetting the recent abominations of oceans 11, full frontal, and erin brockovich.

Abominations? How the...?
  -  George Lucas

pookiethecat

how the...are they not abominations?  oceans 11 and erin brockovich are two of the most smugly self satisfied, mediocre, weak films in recent memory...and full frontal is universally regarded as a piece of shit.
i wanna lick 'em.