Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

wilberfan

Paul has never acted in anything that's ever been released to the public, correct?  I mean, not counting "Magnolia"--which shouldn't really count.   Wonder if he has any acting chops whatsoever?

Paul Thomas Anderson Nearly Starred In 'Rachel Getting Married' With Anne Hathaway

http://www.indiewire.com/2014/11/paul-thomas-anderson-nearly-starred-in-rachel-getting-married-with-anne-hathaway-269942/

Tunde Adibempe:

Quote"Oh, and the other funny thing about it was later, Jonathan [Demme] was telling me: he said, 'Yeah, you know, originally we tried some people out for the part, and before you, P.T. Anderson was going to do it but he got caught up in a project he had to do.' I think the project ended up being something like 'There Will Be Blood,' or something [laughs]." Adebimpe said. "We just started talking about him and how much we both liked him and Jonathan was like 'yeah, that guy knows more about film than I do! I was [working] in the '70s and I was making some of the movies that he was talking around. I had no idea what was going on around me. He's like a living library of film.' It was like a double-edge thing where it's like, 'I'm glad I got this role, I don't know how I feel about that, though.' I don't know how I feel about [filling in for] P.T. Anderson."

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Wow.  That version is much better.  Now I especially wish we could have seen him in that part.  Or, maybe we were better off with TWBB.

Robyn

FilmCell

Jennifer Lawrence on Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jennifer-lawrence-shut-phantom-thread-off-paul-thomas-anderson-1201932932/

"I got through about three minutes of it. I put in a good solid three. I'm sorry to anybody who loved that movie," Lawrence said. "I couldn't give that kind of time. It was three minutes and I was just [oof]."

"Is it just about clothes?" she continued. "Is [Reynolds Woodcock] kind of like a narcissistic sociopath and he's an artist so every girl falls in love him because he makes her feel bad about herself and that's the love story? I haven't seen it, so I don't know. I've been down that road, I know what that's like, I don't need to watch that movie [laughs]."

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Nobody ever said the court of J-Law is impartial.

wilberfan

I'm 30 minutes into the conversation with Jennifer and Marc.  She hasn't mentioned "Thread" yet, but it's easy to predict she wouldn't be able to sit thru it:  She tried Transendental Meditation, "...for two minutes and said, 'Fuck. This!'"  So, yeah, Jen--Phantom Thread won't be for you...

jenkins

oh you guys have been in the mood where you're not in the mood for a movie

wilberfan

Sure, especially with screeners.  But she comes off in the interview like she wouldn't have a lot of patience for anything.

jenkins

what she's saying is human casual and it's people's reactions that are the funny thing. i haven't been following the public personality of Jennifer Lawless

FilmCell

She's a girl whose a high school dropout from Kentucky that got famous from The Hunger Games. Needless to say, Phantom Thread isn't for her. Nor is any PTA film outside of maybe Boogie Nights.

Drenk

Quote from: FilmCell on February 28, 2018, 07:52:43 AM
She's a girl whose a high school dropout from Kentucky that got famous from The Hunger Games. Needless to say, Phantom Thread isn't for her. Nor is any PTA film outside of maybe Boogie Nights.

Oh, that's reductive. The thing is she likes PTA. She even said in an interview that he's her favorite director. She talked about Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler. Why does she complain about Phantom Thread being "silent", etc...well, maybe she's annoyed that she hasn't worked with him yet, or she's high in pretending she's a "casual" viewer. Remember that she created a whole trend where people thought they were quirky when they talked about how much they liked to eat.

Oh. And I'm pretty sure the first minutes of mother! are mostly silent, but whatever...

Also: Daronofsky is probably Woodckier than Woodcock. PTSD.
Ascension.

jenkins

Quote from: FilmCell on February 28, 2018, 07:52:43 AM

you're a boy.

Gold Trumpet

She's a great actress but it seems Phantom Thread reminded her of uncomfortable past situations with men and just wasn't for her. This isn't a big deal.