Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City

Started by MacGuffin, March 06, 2007, 01:27:40 AM

modage

Quote from: samsong on December 05, 2012, 08:10:07 PM
easily the best drama on tv.
I haven't watched since Season 1 and I've heard that it's much better now but there is no way this is true.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

at this point, based on the most recent season and where it's heading, I would take it over mad men and breaking bad.

Brando

SPOILERS

For the first two seasons, I thought the show was good although it wasn't as good as I hoped cause I was very excited leading up to the series premiere. Jimmy was my favorite character and thought the show would suffer after the shocking season 2 ending.  Now I think the show without Jimmy is better cause I think season 3 was by far the best.  I think the Jimmy character competed too much for the show lead with Nucky.  It's better to have Nucky as the clear lead.  When the show began, I saw the similarities between Nucky and Jimmy and Tony Soprano and Chris Moltisonti but Chris never competed with Tony for the lead of the show like Jimmy did.  This season was better in a lot of ways. 

I really want to go back and rewatch the previous seasons cause I did really enjoy this season. I wouldn't put it up there with Breaking Bad. I can't say how good Boardwalk is going to be in the upcoming seasons but think there's promise of it becoming the show I hoped for when I first saw the preview for the show.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

diggler

I heard George Pelecanos just joined the writing staff, so that can only mean good things.

I thought this season meandered a bit (they really can't find an interesting story for Margaret, that hospital plotline just sort of fizzled out), but the final two episodes were rather grand. From a production standpoint it's one of the most well executed shows in television history, it seems like the characters and writing are finally starting to catch up.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

DocSportello

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

I've been a fan of this show since it started but I only just, sort of, kept watching it for my appreciation of it's sets,
costumes, music etc., rather than for what I had originally hoped the show would be, which is gangsters with tommy guns
fighting over booze, power and territory. With these last few episodes and the inevitable uprising of Capone I feel, as
most of you seem to, that the show could finally reach it's full potential. I think the writers always knew where the show
was to eventually end up, but they had to stretch a few seasons out with a bunch of filler in order to get there.

First off they need to cut the character of Margaret Schroeder loose. Just ditch the damn woman. They spend far too much
time on her and she's about as interesting as a wet carrot. I was happy to see her Irish boy-toy go too. The most interesting thing about him was his own death.

I was happy to see Eli back in Nucky's good books. I really felt for his character this season and he's one of the best
actors on the show. They share good scenes and now their brotherhood seems stronger than it was thus far.

I was disappointed with how stagnant van Alden's story was this season, but I predict big waves from him by the end of the
series.

Gyp Rosetti was one of the funnest things to watch in recent memory. What a twisted piece of shit that guy was.

The last scene of the finale, with Nucky tossing his boutonniere on the ground was a perfect set up for next season. There
are no more bells and whistles for Nucky Thompson. No more masks. With Chalky White, Eli and Capone behind him, and the
impending issues surrounding the distillery, the gang lines are drawn clearly in the sand. I just hope we get to see some
of that conflict before everyone gets indicted.

At least now the show can focus on all the characters that viewers signed up to watch. Characters like Nucky, Rothestein, Lucky Luciano, Capone, Richard etc.

Alexandro

Kal

I just finally got around the watch the last season and even though it started a bit slow, the last episodes were probably the best of the series. I love it when the writers can do whatever the hell they want. There were some impressive moments.

Rossetti was one of the best characters in TV lately. Awesome performance. What a lunatic. Very excited to see what happens next.

samsong

anyone manage to catch the premiere amidst the fountains of semen being flung all over vince gilligan and company? 

it was pretty great.  seems like they're really going to take their time laying the groundwork for this season which i'm more than okay with.  glad i won't have to go cold turkey once breaking bad is done.

this season is fucking amazing so far. this show is flawless, in my opinion, and i know that is my opinion.
while very different, i put this on the same pedestal as brba. this show is so fucking...majestic. i dont mean to sound cheesy or naive but i mean, dude, every episode is like a film: the shots, the pacing, every scene has importance and impact. and there are so many unexpected blindsides and crazy shit, it always keep me fascinated. i was worried that this season would fade slightly because they could have ended the whole series with the last season and that would have been ok with everyone, i think, but it is so incredibly satisfying. jesus. get on it mang!

Alexandro

im starting this season next week. i just don't get the xixax whateverness about this show. it has been great from the start.

Kal

I think this season is good but the first few episodes were a bit all over the place and there are too many non-key characters getting screen time.

SPOILERS

I don't know where the Richard story is going. Peter Gibbons and the junkie slut mother of James. Patricia Arquette now in Tampa.

The other story that has been bust but may start to get interesting is Michael Shannon.

This past episode was the best for me by far. That poker game was epic. And focus on the most interesting characters and dynamics the show has. I would like it to be more like Sopranos with a more contained group of characters instead of trying to tell too many stories.

samsong

and i thought i was the only one... i fucking love this show.  that said, this season's off to a rather uneven start, especially after how uniformly excellent last season was.  was lukewarm as i found the second and third episodes to be, i've always admired the insistence of boardwalk empire's creative team's ability to sustain such a harrowingly slow burn throughout. 

i'm mostly excited about seeing capone, lansky, and luciano come up as the new bosses so that last episode was so money for me.  i also love stuhlbarg as rothstein.  it's a great show and i'm glad there are others you appreciate it as such.

Cloudy

As much as I love this show, Nucky ain't that interesting. The most interesting characters of the show is the PERIOD it's set in and how good they present it, Rothstein, Van Alden, and Rosetti. And for some odd reason the writers don't give a shit about them, or the actors don't have time in their schedules to play the roles? Like come on, I want to love this show but they do not care about their characters.

ok, are none of you guys watching this and talking about it, seriously?
this last episode was freaking insane as far as cruel writing goes.

sigh. i'll keep this vague even though i'm the only person watching this brilliant show: last episode hands down the most uncomfortable i've been during one of their signature scenes of incredibly graphic violence.