The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Cecil

i actually really like citizen kane. but i hate it when people praise the film not because they like it, but because its "the greatest film ever made." not accusing anyone here of doing that (yet) just saying that for that reason, i dont mind people bitching out citizen kane

cine

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Cinephilepeople who spoke negatively about "Citizen Kane".. I mean this is downright pathetic......

"This film is so horribly boring and uninteresting. I sat through the worst over the top acting just so i could say i watched citizen kane. Frankly, i don't know what the big damn deal is about this film. it took orsen wells 2 hrs to say he wanted his childhood back? wow, that makes for a damn compelling character and story. "

Actually, I kind of agree with that.

JB, what do you 'kind of' agree with? the 'horribly boring and uninteresting' part? the 'worst over the top acting'? Or 'that makes for a damn compelling character and story'?

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi actually really like citizen kane. but i hate it when people praise the film not because they like it, but because its "the greatest film ever made." not accusing anyone here of doing that (yet) just saying that for that reason, i dont mind people bitching out citizen kane
I don't love it because the second title to the movie is "the greatest film ever made".. I am aware that almost every critic/director and their mothers say "Citizen Kane" is one the greatest films ever made, if not THE greatest. I feel its one of the greatest films ever made.. It would very tough for me to say its THE greatest. I know what you mean about how you don't mind because they're feeling their own feelings. I'm reminded of a quote for all the people that bash CK for what they feel it is: "Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you."

BonBon85

This thread has turned into "people who are stupid because they don't like the movies we like." Let's stick to real idiots here!

cine

Hey, if you're calling me an idiot for bashing them, then sorry for being passionate about film, buddy. There's only so much ignorance I can take before I say, "What the fuck are you talking about?" What if I said "The Godfather" was one of the worst American movies ever made in the 70's. Sure, I guess I'd be entitled to my opinion but wouldn't the vast majority of people be thinking my head's in space?
That's what I'm saying.

MacGuffin

Drop the attitude, Cinephile "buddy". You are becoming quick to be defensive. Ms. BonBon was not calling you an idiot. She was just stating that the thread has become a elitist/snob thread because people don't like the films we do, when the original intention was just stupid comments from people who didn't "get it".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Original intention?  Sort of like a thread staying with its original topic?

Ravi

I have to admit, I turned off Citizen Kane after a few minutes the first time I watched it.  I was a lot younger and stupider then.  Later I watched the entire thing and thought it was great, but I have to say I feel that the cinematography and controversy are a large part of why the film is so lauded.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on the film, but I personally like Touch of Evil a little more.

cine

I know what you mean.. I love "Touch of Evil" too.. but it has to be the Orson Welles version, either the one on DVD or the special edition on VHS

life_boy

Some movies just have to grow on you somwhat.  The first time I saw 2001 (about 3-4 years ago) I didn't know what the hell was going on.  I knew it was well-done technically and that it was supposed to be a great movie, I just hadn't 'learned' yet.  Now it is one of my favorite films.  Most of my early Kubrick experience is like that.  It wasn't until I went back and watched Dr. Strangelove again that I saw how truly funny it was.  I didn't really like Clockwork Orange the first time I saw it.  Of course, there's some movies you can't just watch once and say you've seen them.

cine

I was the same way with "Dr. Strangelove" the first time I saw it... I thought it was boring. But I thought, "I know I've got to be tired. Because that's Peter Sellers. That's George C. Scott. And that guy just shot a Coke machine and Coke got shot back at him."

Then I watched it not long after.. watching Scott closely and I just loved the acting from him and everybody else. It's oh so very funny once you really put it into perspective of the time period it was made in.

And I don't think its possible for somebody to completely 'get' "2001" on a first viewing. Infact I think its impossible. There's just Sso much depth to it that its phenomenal how much you look back on it and reflect on new things.

snaporaz

asmittedly, i think citizen kane is slow & boring. the only thing i can give it credit for is being revolutionary.

and yeah, i fucking hate people who like movies for the wrong reasons. like, natural born killers because of it's violence, or boogie nights because rollergirl os hot.

on another board, some douchebag listed some "awesome movies", with american history x, romper stomper, and made in britain listed consecutively. i have no proof, but to me, it was sort of obvious that any skinhead movie is inherently "cool" to him.

idiot.

Cecil

when my dad got his dvd player, he exclamed "oh cool, theres a zoom-in option so you can get rid of those pesky black bars." and everytime someone gets a dvd player or goes to friends house who has one, he always checks to see if it can zoom-in then proudly explains that its an option to get rid of the black bars

cine

:shock: Good god.

I hope at least SOMEONE has replied with "uhh....... thanks..."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CinephileHey, if you're calling me an idiot for bashing them, then sorry for being passionate about film, buddy. There's only so much ignorance I can take before I say, "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Then brace yourself...

Quote from: CinephileJB, what do you 'kind of' agree with? the 'horribly boring and uninteresting' part? the 'worst over the top acting'? Or 'that makes for a damn compelling character and story'?

Basically all of that. I thought Welles' performance in Citizen Kane was ridiculous, and I didn't believe one moment of it. He was great in The Third Man.. it's not that I think he's a bad actor. Of course the movie was revolutionary, probably just as much as some Kubrick movies, but I don't really like it.... and I'm not sure how it's possible to be boring and over the top at the same time, but Citizen Kane accomplishes that...

CollinBullock

Now, instead of specifics, let's just list all the different things that MANY people do that piss us off:

1.  Think that widescreen is awful because, god forbid, you have to look a LITTLE closer to see what the director actually fucking INTENDED you to see.

2.  Saying lines out of movies to explain why they like it.  You ask someone "Why did you like the Waterboy" the person responds (in obnoxious Sandler voice): "I am bobby bouche!!!".  What?  Yeah, you can say what you just heard someone else say?  I know severly retarded people who can do that to, and they eat their own shit!  Come up with something better goddamn it!

3.  Like really good movies, without at ALL understanding them.  I know lots of REALLY stupid people who could never get the subtext of Fight Club, yet they love it and watch it often?  Why?  My theory is that they don't get that the movies makes fun of them, those that feel a need to define their masculnity through the celebration of violence.

4.  People who won't watch subtitled movies.  Why?  You're fucking illeterate?  Well, okay.  I think Boat Trip is still playing in some theatres, go enjoy that.

5.  Film snobs refuse to lik movies that they don't view as "classy".  Unless it's four hour chinese documentary about mongolian sheep herders, it's not worth their time.  Listen folks, I like teh decaogue, you like the decalogue, we all like teh fucking decalouge.  Now come sit down and watch Tommy Boy.  It's funny.  Oh yeah, forgot, you have a stick up your ass, and you can't enjoy anything funny.  Well, allright, go watch another Bergman movie.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam