Darren Aronofsky

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2003, 03:15:25 AM

modage

Title: A Darren Aronofsky Collection
Released: 27th March 2007
SRP: $14.98

Further Details:
Lionsgate has announced the upcoming release of A Darren Aronofsky Collection for 27th March, the collection will include: π (Pi) and the unrated directors cut of Requiem for a Dream. Both films will be presented in Dolby 2.0 with optional English subtitles. Special features for Requiem for a Dream are expected to be: a directory commentary, a cinematographer commentary, a making-of documentary, deleted scenes (with optional director commentary) and two featurettes ("Memories, Dreams and Addictions: Ellen Burstyn interviews Hubert Selby, Jr." and The Anatomy of a Scene). π's extra features will include: a director commentary, an actor commentary, a behind-the-scenes montage, lost scenes and a music video. This boxed set will be made available as a collectable foil 'O-ring' package.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/a-darren-aronofsky-collection.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

this has been available here forever. it's prolly the best bargain-bin find ever.
under the paving stones.

modage

zodiac

hey, saw fincher's new film last night. best thing i've seen in a long time.
it is a tremendous freakin' film.
make sure you go out and support it.

tonight i am seeing 300. excited about that one as well.

i am leaving for belgrade this weekend. anyone live there?

da

more stuff

hello all-

how you all doing? i've been all right. doing a lot of writing, a bunch of reading, and a full time attempt at living.

went to rio for carnival. now that is really worth a trip. just true insanity. a beautiful testament to what people can do if they're not off killing each other.

concerning some dvd questions:
1. I do believe there is going to be an HD-DVD, and because it has more storage space it will have some additional extra things.
2. To be clear, there is no pre-pg-13 cut. The cut that was in the cinema was MY FINAL CUT. I made all the decisions on it (with my team of course) but creatively it was the filmmaker's vision. This is the same cut you will all see on DVD and the HD-DVD. What happened is this: originally we were given an R rating. I went back to the MPAA and with a little negotiating the film got a PG-13 rating. This was the rating I had always wanted for the film and so I made an effort to get it. But the film was in no way creatively effected. So to be clear, there was NO studio pressure it was purely my choice to try to get a PG-13 rating. Many teenagers were writing asking for me to help them out. So what you saw in the cinema and what you will see at home is the DIRECTOR'S FINAL CUT.

Thanks for listening to that rant, just wanted to make things clear.

As far as the next film. Stand by, we are close...

http://blog.myspace.com/darrenaronofsky
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky Provides Update On 'Lone Wolf And Cub' Movie Status
Source: MTV

On the very short list of "Directors We'd Like To See Tackle A Comic Book Movie," Darren Aronofsky has a permanent spot among the top three names. Sure, he directed 2006's "The Fountain" and wrote the accompanying Vertigo graphic novel, but we're talking more along the lines of a spandex-clad, super-powered do-gooder out for justice. We got close to our wish back in '02 when Aronofsky was rumored to direct an adaptation of Frank Miller's classic "Batman: Year One" series, but that project eventually fell by the wayside.

However, we occasionally hear blips on the comic book film radar about a possible adaptation of the iconic manga series "Lone Wolf & Cub," which follows a disgraced Shogun's executioner on a quest for vengeance with his three-year-old son in tow. And while Aronofsky has stated that "Lone Wolf & Cub" isn't on his upcoming slate of films, it never hurts to check in with him in regards to the manga masterpiece.

"I'd love to do that. It's one of [Japan's] great pieces of literature. " Aronofsky told MTV. But will we ever see his take on the adventures of Ogami Itto and his son, Daigoro?

"The rights from Japan were never cleared," Aronofsky related. "They tried for a while. I don't think it's getting out of there anytime soon."

Looks like we'll just have to settle for a spandex-clad Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" for the time being...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

James Franco getting coffee with Aronofsky. Just cream and sugar or perhaps a latte? aka, something more.

http://www.popsugar.com/2893962
who likes movies anyway

Stefen

I wonder if Darren told him to watch it with the whole milk. Skim, James. SKIM.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky Takes On the World's Biggest Heist
by Elisabeth Rappe; Cinematical

You'll never be able to predict what kind of story Darren Aronofsky will tackle next. He's gone from math to ballet without blinking an eye, and is now planning to tell the tale of the world's biggest bank heist. His Protozoa Films shingle has teamed up with XYZ Films and Time Inc. to produce "a gritty heist thriller" based on MMA and UFC star "Lighting" Lee Murray and his alleged role in the 2006 robbery of the Securitas Depot. Over $85 million was stolen from the English depot, making it the largest cash heist in history and it's probably the only one with a UFC star as its (possible) mastermind.

Kerry Williamson will be penning the script, which will be based on Howard Sounes' book, Heist: The Inside Story of the World's Biggest Robbery and Jon Wertheim's Sports Illustrated article "Breaking the Bank." Aronofsky will produce with an eye on directing. I can't find Wertheim's article online, but Wikipedia has the blow-by-blow of the heist for those interested as it's way too long to summarize here. It certainly is, as Aronofsky puts it, "a very unique British heist tale with colorful London characters." It's as though a Guy Ritchie movie actually happened, but with a lot more money, guns, and success.

Murray's story by itself is pretty wild. The year before the heist, he was in a fight outside London's Funky Buddha that severed an artery, punctured one of his lungs, and nearly cost him his life. A year later, he allegedly pulled this heist, and has been in and out of Moroccan prison ever since. He even tried to escape at one point -- apparently you just can't keep this guy down. If there's a director who knows something about that, it's Aronofsky, who seems to specialize in making us identify with desperate and obsessed individuals. Perhaps you can predict a little about Aronofsky's projects after all ....
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Director Vy For 'Clash,' `Wolverine,' `Deadpool'
Source: Deadline Hollywood

Right now, little is going on in town beyond the race to lock down directors on fast-mobilizing tent poles. Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures continue trying to work out a deal for Battle: Los Angeles director Jonathan Liebesman to direct a sequel to Clash of the Titans. The studio has been working on a sequel since the original grossed more than $500 million worldwide. But it was clear since last April that the film's original director, Louis Leterrier, wasn't going to return for a reprise. I'm told they are far apart on money. Leterrier has been meeting on blockbusters, and was Fox's fall back choic after the studio met directors for X-Men Origins: First Class when Matthew Vaughn dropped out for a weekend, and then came back to accept the assignment.

On the X-Men: Wolverine 2 front, 20th Century Fox is between David Slade and Darren Aronofsky, I'm told. Slade, who just directed the summer hit The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, met over the weekend with Jackman on location where he is shooting Real Steel for DreamWorks. Aronofsky has also been talking with Jackman, and they have a good relationship that dates back to The Fountain, when Jackman stepped in after Brad Pitt dropped out. Jackman holds a lot of clout in the decision and while Aronofsky has some momentum of his own because of Black Swan, I'd say Slade has the edge. He is coming off a big summer movie with large-scale effects, which makes the studio comfortable. Fox went with Gavin Hood on the first Wolverine, and while he came from the Oscar-winning South African film Tsotsi, it was quite an adjustment moving into a tent pole sized undertaking, and Aronofsky has a similar prestige film background. Robert Schwentke, who created Comic-Con buzz for his film Red, had been in the mix--he was going to meet Jackman in Detroit along with Slade last weekend--but he opted out of the competition. Instead, Schwentke is eyeing projects that include Robert Ludlum's The Osterman Weekend and Universal's Ryan Reynolds-starrer RIPD as possible next pictures.

Reynolds also wants to star in the Wolverine spinoff film Deadpool--Fox hopes Robert Rodriguez will direct it--but that actor's busy schedule--he just signed to star with Denzel Washington early next year in Safe House--has made the Deadpool directing situation a bit murky. Just spoke with Rodriguez. He has read and likes the Deadpool script, but his own schedule--promoting Machete and then directing Spy Kids 4--has made his participation tenuous. "We haven't really gotten into the discussion, but they are trying to make a certain small window that's going to be tough because of Spy Kids," Rodriguez told me. "If they push it back, it would be a lot better for me."

Aronofksy doing Wolverine 2 = Nevergonnahappen.

Pubrick

Yeah, that would be almost as bad as The Fountain.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Could Darren Aronofsky Direct Preacher?
Source: Coming Soon

The rumored Superman candidate may be eyeing another DC property.

Though his name has been circulated over the past week as a rumored candidate for the Superman reboot, Newsarama is reporting that Darren Aronofsky may also be interested in directing Preacher and that it's likely he'll have to choose one project over the other, as both are slated to move into development soon.

Preacher, based on the Vertigo series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon that ran in the late '90's, tells the story of Texas reverend Jesse Custer who, after merging with the escaped offspring of a demon and an angel, find himself imbued with the word of God, the power to command anyone to do his bidding. Teamed with his ex girlfriend, Tulip O'Hare and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, Custer sets out across America to track down the almighty and force him to explain why he abandoned creation.

Preacher has been rumored for development almost as far back as the series' debut in 1995, but was most recently in development with Sam Mendes directing and a script in the works from John August. It is uncertain whether or not Aronofsky, if he took the project, would work from the same draft.  

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Darren Aronofsky Planning New Comic Book, Says It's An Easier Sell For A Movie Than A Script
Aronofsky Disses 'The Company,' Calls Method Acting "Wasted Energy"
Source: The Playlist

While "Black Swan" continues to climb the U.S. box office and turn heads this awards season, director Darren Aronofsky is already mulling over his future projects. Of course, he's got "Wolverine" shooting this year with Hugh Jackman, but he's already looking beyond.

In an interview with Clothes On Film, he divulges that there might be a comic book in the works. "Well, we're actually doing one. It hasn't really been announced, I don't know if I should give you the scoop! But we're getting there. We're doing a comic book of a script that's really hard to make and we're going to do a comic version first and see what happens..."  It should be noted that other sites are claiming that geek dream project "Batman: Year One" is the script in question (it was suggested by the interviewer) but Aronofsky's answer hardly confirms that. In fact it seems to point to another script entirely, and as Bleeding Cool suggests, it could be "Noah's Ark," another long gestating project. Seems like a good guess.

As anyone who followed the saga of his 2006 film "The Fountain" will remember, that script too turned into a comic book. After trying for several years to get the film produced, the project fell apart after star Brad Pitt left it just weeks before shooting was set to begin. Aronofsky, who had spent years thinking about this story, thought the only way it would see the light of day would be to release it as a comic. "You work really hard on something and want to get it out there. The reason that 'The Fountain' comic exists is because for a long time we didn't think that the film was going to happen, so I went after an artist because I wanted to get that finished and out there. I'm a storyteller, so if I can't tell it in my medium of choice I try to do it another way." It was only after that Aronofsky decided to rewrite the script turning the $70 million film into a $35 million one that eventually got the greenlight from Warner Bros.

Aronofsky says he's usually the "only one in the room" excited about an idea and always struggles to get each of his films produced. Comic book movies, for some reason, seem like a safer bet to studios and even underground comics get turned into big budget films.  "It seems like if you come up with an original script, in Hollywood it's not as effective as a comic book. It doesn't even have to be successful as a comic; I mean how successful were 'Kick-Ass' or 'Scott Pilgrim'? Those were fringe comics, right, and they were basically turned in to big pictures."

The typically candid Brooklyn-born filmmaker also said that he looked at other ballet films before making "Black Swan," but most were awful including Robert Altman's "The Company."  "Well, it came out when I was first looking at doing a ballet film. I think it's a terrible film, sorry, but most films in the ballet world, beside 'The Red Shoes,' are pretty awful. That film at least was realistic, but all it really was was a concert film. I really wasn't into it. I'm trying to think of other films set in the ballet world. 'Center Stage'...."  Aronofsky also mentioned that he's looking at turning "Black Swan" into a ballet with choreographer (and Natalie baby daddy) Benjamin Millepied. Though we would be thrilled to see a Clint Mansell orchestrated ballet, the filmmaker concedes that it isn't exactly a sure thing.  "Chasing money for ballet seems harder than chasing money for movies!"

He also acknowledged his transition from primarily a visual filmmaker to more of an actor's director though he did have some interesting remarks regarding method acting.  "I'm pretty critical of the method. I used to think it was cool, but watching Ellen Burstyn and being around a couple of the old masters I think it's actually pretty selfish. It's just make believe you know, there's a half a million dollar camera sitting there and forty lights, and you've got to hit a technical mark; what is the "method" when it's such a technical job? It's about make believing for a very, very short window. I think the method could work if you're on stage, when you've got to stay in character and keep the adrenaline running that makes sense, but film is literally little bursts of acting, 20 seconds here, 20 seconds there, 10 seconds there, but once it takes over you don't need to be an asshole all day. To me it doesn't impress me, actors that do that; it's a lot of wasted energy."

"Black Swan" is in theaters now and if you need to give it a second or third viewing that probably couldn't hurt.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage on January 17, 2011, 11:15:05 AM
Aronofsky Disses 'The Company,'

:yabbse-sad:

I like The Company much better than Black Swan anyway.

modage

Spoke to Aronofsky tonight for a minute at the "Win Win" premiere.

He was wearing a scarf.

Pas

About method actinghis theory hardly makes sense. It's especially hard to act well if you only into character 10 seconds per hour. That's when adrenaline is low. On a play adrenaline must be high all the time

Pubrick

Yes well that's only useful when you're playing someone who's bungee jumping all the time.

Is what aronscarfsky would say.
under the paving stones.