Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

bonanzataz

Quote from: RaikusGreedo shooting first, indeed.

You know, I never got that joke until now. I totally forgot everything from the special edition. Not on purpose, but I've just always had the old video boxed set version with the big faces on the sides and only saw each of the remastered ones once when they were in theaters. It does say on the back of the box that it's the last time the original trilogy will ever be released. Lucas sucks.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

About the new versions, it would be better to me if the new footage matched up with the old, but it doesnt. CGI doesnt fit into that world. Its like splicing XXX scenes in the middle of Casablanca.

sphinx

Quote from: bonanzatazYou know, I never got that joke until now. I totally forgot everything from the special edition. Not on purpose, but I've just always had the old video boxed set version with the big faces on the sides and only saw each of the remastered ones once when they were in theaters. It does say on the back of the box that it's the last time the original trilogy will ever be released. Lucas sucks.

still got that box set in my closet.  i pop em out and watch them every now and then

if lucas knew that i had it, he'd probably make me burn it

life_boy

MacGuffin

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in 2004?
Source: The Digital Bits

The Digital Bits reports that Lucasfilm may be releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD next year to build buzz for the release of Star Wars: Episode III in May, 2005.

We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Quote from: MacGuffinThe Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in 2004?
Source: The Digital Bits

The Digital Bits reports that Lucasfilm may be releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD next year to build buzz for the release of Star Wars: Episode III in May, 2005.

We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters.

Let's see, should we buy this when and if it comes out? Or should we all wait for the expected release of all 6 together, sounds like another ploy to rebuy things. and thats a bunch of crap about lucasfilm being pleased about the Jones set, it's not like dvd is new to the market, they should already have a extensive knowledge about the things dvd can do and what it can offer.

Find Your Magali

I hope that, unlike the Indiana Jones trilogy, we get commentaries on Episodes IV, V and VI.

Lots of commentaries. Lucas, actors, production designers, film critics, fanboys.

This needs to happen.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: mogwaiwhat do you mean, include the audio commentaries on the supplement disc? :wink:

Exactly. Get two DVD players. Put them side by side. Insert Episode IV in DVD #1, with the audio off. Then synchronize the start of the movie with the audio commentary on the supplemental DVD, which will be playing in DVD #2.

DigitalFriend

Alethia

george lucas needs to fucking be finished with star wars and move on to directing small pictures like american grafitti again.  do you think he even wants to do star wars anymore?  i think he feels like he has to.  well he does have to, but do you think he even gives a shit at this point?

Gold Trumpet

Lucas is not a filmmaker more. With the original Stars Wars finally hitting dvd and the new ones finishing up in theatres, Lucas' rape of customers is going to hit all time as he finds every way to release these movies on editions that make "special" look the norm. If Lucas is granted twenty more years of life, you may see him make other films. Stars Wars in dvd land is going to take up a lot of that time. Even if Lucas does make another film, it likely will be an exploitation of special effects and Pinocchio like characters supporting them. Fuck Lucas and the CGI horse he rode on.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

what i don't understand is how lucas gets final decision? doesn't 20th century fox own distribution rights? if they feel there is a big enough market for it, why can't they just go out and release separate editions? why does fox feel the need to jerk lucas off and enlarge his already enormous ego?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Banky

i think this whole board is pretty harsh on George Lucas.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Bankyi think this whole board is pretty harsh on George Lucas.

..yeah I agree.

::screams into a megaphone::

WHY?.