Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: rudieob
other hacks:
george lucus
kevin smith
bryan singer (he never really had it, fuckin' no talent!)
brett ratner
tim burton
roger avery (he never really had it, fuckin' no talent!)
the wachowski brothers
ron howard (he never really had it, fuckin' no talent!)
So where do you buy your crack?  This could be the dumbest shit I've read in ages.

cine

Quote from: rudieob(he never really had it, fuckin' no talent!)
Seriously, what EXACTLY do you base that on?

Rudie Obias

c'mon you know its true!  these filmmakers do nothing to contribute to the art of cinema.  they just bring you the same crap over and over again.  way to be inovative!

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
other hacks:
george lucus
kevin smith
brett ratner
tim burton
the wachowski brothers
So where do you buy your crack?  This could be the dumbest shit I've read in ages.

do you actually like ron howard, roger avery and bryan singer?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Weak2ndAct

other hacks:
george lucus
kevin smith
brett ratner
tim burton
the wachowski brothers

So... are you negating the other names on the list now and backtracking or what?

I don't *love* Ron Howard, I've certainly loathed some of his work (Grinch and EdTv come to mind) but he's done some movies that are pretty good (Ransom, Apollo 13) and I'm looking forward to 'The Missing.'  I don't see him making the same movie over-and-over as you so put it.  

Again, Roger Avary does not make the same film over-and-over.  Killing Zoe and Rules of Attraction are two vastly different films-- both of which I enjoy a lot.  And you can't deny his contribution to Quentin's earlier works.

The film-geek in me loves The Usual Suspects, and the comic-geek loves the X-Men movies-- the 2nd more than the first.  

I can understand you disliking individual films by certain directors, but dismiss them entirely is just foolish (especially since there's zero evidence/points in your 'argument').  

If you want a real list of Hollywood hacks, think of people like John Badham, Peter Hyams, Jon Amiel, Jan De Bont, etc.  These guys are merely hired guns, never are developing their own projects or writing anything original.  But on the list you gave, I can name at least one great film (if not more) or at least one that's entertaining in the Hollywood way.

Rudie Obias

other hacks:
george lucus
kevin smith
brett ratner
tim burton
the wachowski brothers

So... are you negating the other names on the list now and backtracking or what?

I don't *love* Ron Howard, I've certainly loathed some of his work (Grinch and EdTv come to mind) but he's done some movies that are pretty good (Ransom, Apollo 13) and I'm looking forward to 'The Missing.'  I don't see him making the same movie over-and-over as you so put it.  

Again, Roger Avary does not make the same film over-and-over.  Killing Zoe and Rules of Attraction are two vastly different films-- both of which I enjoy a lot.  And you can't deny his contribution to Quentin's earlier works.

The film-geek in me loves The Usual Suspects, and the comic-geek loves the X-Men movies-- the 2nd more than the first.  

I can understand you disliking individual films by certain directors, but dismiss them entirely is just foolish (especially since there's zero evidence/points in your 'argument').  

If you want a real list of Hollywood hacks, think of people like John Badham, Peter Hyams, Jon Amiel, Jan De Bont, etc.  These guys are merely hired guns, never are developing their own projects or writing anything original.  But on the list you gave, I can name at least one great film (if not more) or at least one that's entertaining in the Hollywood way.

no they all suck.  i'm sick of being disappointed by these filmmakers therefore they're hacks (to me).  here's why...

george lucus:
star wars episode 1 and 2 -and- all the changes to the original trilogy.
you know they suck and so why bullshit about them.

kevin smith:
jay and silent bob strike back.
there's only one note from this guy

bryan singer:
the usual suspects = the most overrated film of the 90s!  why does everyone like this movie anyway?  its 100 minutes of prolouge.

brett ratner:
thats a given....

tim burton:
hasn't made a good movie in 13 years with the exception of ED WOOD.

roger avery:
he really does nothing for me but everyone praises him like he was QT.

the wachowski brothers:
matrix is great but reloaded and revolutions were pointless and self-indulgent.  completely disappointing!  i'm a philosophy major so i know a great deal about philosophy and trust me, the matrix ain't nothing special.  it's cookie-cutter philosophy.  read a book!

ron howard:
how the hell did he win best director in 2001?

all of these directors are NOW buisness as usual filmmakers.  they don't dare to be inspiring anymore so i dub them as being hacks.  some of these filmmakers never really had it to begin with like bryan singer (man do i hate that guy).  they put out a string of disappointing films that have no real substance and a lot eye candy to make mindless bullshit movies to make money.  for shame for poisoning the art of film!

my 2 cents...

you can add john singleton to that list too.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

SHAFTR

other hacks:
george lucus
kevin smith
brett ratner
tim burton
the wachowski brothers

no they all suck.  i'm sick of being disappointed by these filmmakers therefore they're hacks (to me).  here's why...

george lucus:
star wars episode 1 and 2 -and- all the changes to the original trilogy.
you know they suck and so why bullshit about them.

kevin smith:

bryan singer:
the usual suspects = the most overrated film of the 90s!  why does everyone like this movie anyway?  its 100 minutes of prolouge.

brett ratner:
thats a given....

tim burton:
hasn't made a good movie in 13 years with the exception of ED WOOD.

roger avery:
he really does nothing for me but everyone praises him like he was QT.

the wachowski brothers:
matrix is great but reloaded and revolutions were pointless and self-indulgent.  completely disappointing!  i'm a philosophy major so i know a great deal about philosophy and trust me, the matrix ain't nothing special.  it's cookie-cutter philosophy.  read a book!

ron howard:
how the hell did he win best director in 2001?

all of these directors are NOW buisness as usual filmmakers.  they don't dare to be inspiring anymore so i dub them as being hacks.  some of these filmmakers never really had it to begin with like bryan singer (man do i hate that guy).  they put out a string of disappointing films that have no real substance and a lot eye candy to make mindless bullshit movies to make money.  for shame for poisoning the art of film!

my 2 cents...

you can add john singleton to that list too.

You are pointing out one of the films by these filmmakers and ignoring the rest of their filmography.  You are an idiot.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

This is getting dumb. I agree with parts of both sides, but the way this discussion is going about is dumb.

Rudie Obias

yes i am dumb!  but only true genius is very misunderstood!

ps
btw i'm kidding!  hahahaha....

NEON MERCURY

.......umm "do you believe in life after love (after love).repeat.......

bret ratner is okay ..red dragon is ***/*****
burton is really good  
lucas is really good...star wars is fine and American Grafitte is neat
kevin smith is funny
roger avary  is sans  talent
wachowskis are avant garde..but fine..and they are innnnovative tecnically
opie..is cool.byran singer is cool (the prologue as you call it) is very well written and directed........

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: rudieobkevin smith:
Okay.  So if you think he's such a fucking hack-job, why do you you own all of his movies on dvd?  I mean, you even have Clerks: The Animated Series and Drawing Flies.  What a hypocrite (see the link in his sig to the dvd collection).

Rudie Obias

Quote from: rudieobkevin smith:
Okay.  So if you think he's such a fucking hack-job, why do you you own all of his movies on dvd?  I mean, you even have Clerks: The Animated Series and Drawing Flies.  What a hypocrite (see the link in his sig to the dvd collection).

i used to like kevin smith but watching those movies again i realized that he lost a step after CHASING AMY.  i've also been meaning to trade in DRAWING FLIES.  boo-boo!

tpfkabi

i watched Empire strikes Back today.....i forgot how funny it was......the dialogue, acting, story, sets, costumes, etc are 10 times better in the original trilogy......this might have to do with the fact that Lucas  didn't direct or write the screenplay for Empire

does anyone know just HOW involved he was in the ones he didn't direct?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Banky

it makes since that he had so little to do with the best in the franchise