Grind House

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM

MacGuffin

Source: MTV

Quentin Tarantino has been known to bring out the best in his cinematic muses, who have included Uma Thurman, Pam Grier and Bridget Fonda — but is his latest obsession with Lindsay Lohan? Well, kinda. "I play a makeup and hair artist for Lindsay Lohan — that's pretty insane," actress Rosario Dawson revealed this week, talking about her character in Tarantino's upcoming double-feature with Robert Rodriguez, "Grindhouse." But here's the weird part: Lohan isn't actually in the movie at all. "[We] talk about her, but she's not in it," clarified Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who co-stars with Dawson in Tarantino's half of the movie. "[Dawson] plays Lindsay Lohan's makeup artist, and I play her co-star in a fictional movie." Even weirder is the fact that neither star could confirm whether Lohan even knows her name is being used in the film. "I know [Lohan] met Quentin on a few occasions, but I don't know if he's actually told her about it," Winstead said. With or without the "Mean Girls" star's consent, "Grindhouse" will open April 6.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

Quote from: squints on December 16, 2006, 11:13:28 PM
Quote from: soixante on December 16, 2006, 08:08:29 PM
Kurt Russell looks like he's doing his best Mickey Rourke imitation.

that's exactly what my first reaction was

kurt russell is holywood's best kept secret, at least that's what Robert towne once said, and i can't help but feel that way too.  i love kurt russell, even when he's bad, he's enjoyable to watch.

russell and carpenter owned the 80s
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

standee coming soon to a theatre near you...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Trailer's up a little early. 

It's not going to convert the skeptical but it'll get the rest of us excited.  I would rather a 5 minute trailer consisting of the Rodriguez trailer that was on youtube a couple of months ago with a Tarantino trailer to match.  But the subliminal Bruce Willis was the best.

2007 is definitely shaping up to be the fanboy equivalent of 1999.

RegularKarate

I like the trailer... I'm hoping this will premier here and if not, then at least run at SXSW.  Even if it wasn't Rodritino, I would want to see this just because I've been seeing that car here and there and it just looks so cool.

Quote from: othersparrow on December 21, 2006, 01:47:28 PM
2007 is definitely shaping up to be the fanboy equivalent of 1999.

Don't we say that about every year?

grand theft sparrow

True but it seems like 2007 has more than its share.  Like almost every legendary and/or cult director that didn't release a movie in the last 3 months is releasing one next year.

Gold Trumpet

I'm interested in how this will go over with fans of Tarantino. At my university, there are only a few film buffs but the two biggest ones I know are both die hard Tarantino fans. They have been apologetic about his recent efforts and consider him the best filmmaker going. I got one to say Tarantino may be going too far with Grindhouse but I'm curious what the other one will think.

The funny thing is they both want to be critics over filmmakers. Haha, I'm definitely thinking of another career.

nix

Has anyone visited the website? It's pretty well put together. Minimal spoils, but enough to wet your appetite.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

MacGuffin

Details on Zombie and Roth's GRINDHOUSE trailers

A source slipped Fangoria some news about the faux trailers that'll play between Robert Rodriguez's PLANET TERROR and Quentin Tarantino's DEATH PROOF when Dimension releases GRINDHOUSE nationwide April 6. As he gears up for his new HALLOWEEN movie, Rob Zombie is shooting a coming attraction called WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S., and we're told it'll feature Nicolas Cage playing Fu Manchu! Eli Roth's contribution (in addition to an onscreen cameo in DEATH PROOF) will be the promo for a slasher opus called THANKSGIVING. These sound like they should be as much fun as the movies surrounding them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

SHAUN OF THE DEAD director joins GRINDHOUSE
Source: Fangoria

There's a new addition to the GRINDHOUSE family: SHAUN OF THE DEAD director Edgar Wright. As Robert Rodriguez puts the finishing touches on PLANET TERROR and Quentin Tarantino pushes through postproduction on DEATH PROOF, Wright has joined the team of guest filmmakers at work on the faux trailers that'll be sandwiched between GRINDHOUSE's two features. As we previously reported here, Eli Roth and Rob Zombie are creating previews for THANKSGIVING and WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS, respectively, and now Rodriguez tells us that Wright is lending a coming attraction all his own. What he has up his sleeve is unknown at this time, but we're looking into it!

Wright and his SHAUN cohorts Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have HOT FUZZ, a cop comedy with lots of splatter hitting theaters April 13 from Rogue Pictures. Fango's in-depth coverage of GRINDHOUSE (which roars into cinemas April 6) begins this month in #260 and will continue with feature pieces on PLANET TERROR and DEATH PROOF in subsequent issues!

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

More details: Rob Zombie's GRINDHOUSE trailer
Source: Fangoria

Usually in lycanthropictures, it's the men who do the howling—unless you're one of Rob Zombie's WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS. The writer/director is busy in preproduction on HALLOWEEN, but he has reserved a weekend to shoot WEREWOLF, one of the series of fake trailers audiences will see between Robert Rodriguez's PLANET TERROR and Quentin Tarantino's DEATH PROOF when they check out GRINDHOUSE beginning April 6. Eli Roth, Edgar Wright, Rodriguez and Tarantino all take their own crack at preview-makin' too.

Zombie dropped some WEREWOLF casting news on Fango's front step overnight: In addition to Nicolas Cage donning creative facial hair as Fu Manchu, he tells us that genre legend—not to mention perennial creepy German guy—Udo (BLOOD FOR DRACULA) Kier and blonde knockout Sybil (THE HOWLING II) Danning, a grindhouse gal herself, are ready for some sinister experimentation. The director has also brought in HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and DEVIL'S REJECTS pals Bill Moseley, Tom Towles and wife Sheri Moon Zombie. WWE wrestlers Test (a.k.a. Andrew Martin) and Vladimir Kozlov are providing the trailer some required testosterone.

Sounding like he's taking the inspiration of Don Edmonds' ILSA, SHE-WOLF OF THE SS quite literally, Zombie says his trailer "is the story of Hitler's plan to create a race of superhuman werewolf women to win the war—based on actual documents found in Hitler's bunker." How Fu Manchu fits into this scheme, I guess we'll just have to see, right?

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

The South by Southwest (SXSW) Film Festival is putting out a call to filmmakers who would like to submit their best "grindhouse trailer," in honor of the April release from Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, Grindhouse. A sample of the best submissions will be judged by Rodriguez himself, and presented during SXSW, on March 11, 2007.

Filmmakers have a deadline of February 12 to submit their "grindhouse trailer" (no longer than two minutes in length) to SXSW. The trailer should be made for a fictional feature-film, just like those being made by celebrity directors Eli Roth and Rob Zombie for Grindhouse. From those submissions, Rodriguez will determine the best of the bunch, and it will screen during a special presentation entitled "Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse 101" on Sunday, March 11. During the presentation, Rodriguez will share stories and footage from the making of the upcoming Dimension Films release.

"We really want filmmakers to come up with something fun, scary, freaky, and out-of-this-world for the competition," says SXSW Festival Producer Matt Dentler. "This competition, like Grindhouse itself, is in the true spirit of innovative and fast-paced filmmaking."

Submissions must arrive no later than February 12, to: "SXSW Grindhouse Trailers," P.O. Box 4999, Austin, TX 78765. There is no application fee, but the trailers must be under two minutes in length, and made within the last 12 months. Films that have already been submitted to SXSW for 2007 consideration, are not eligible. The 2007 SXSW Film Festival occurs March 9-17 throughout downtown Austin, TX. Grindhouse will open nationwide on April 6, 2007.