Grind House

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM

Fernando

From mtv.com

Tarantino Gushes About 'Grind,' Says Next 'Kill Bill' Is 10 Years Away.
Director also mulls pairing John Travolta, Michael Madsen for 'Vega Brothers.'

BEVERLY HILLS, California — When filmmaker Quentin Tarantino speaks, movie lovers listen. So when he turned up in Beverly Hills recently to promote "Daltry Calhoun," the Johnny Knoxville golf comedy/drama he executive produced, MTV News took on the "Pulp Fiction" role of Jules Winnfield to his Frank Whaley, sticking him in a chair and grilling him with rapid-fire questions about his upcoming projects.

Tarantino shed some light on his upcoming double-feature film, "Grind House," which he'll soon film with friend and frequent collaborator Robert Rodriguez. Last month Rodriguez said the two were working together in Tarantino's home in Los Angeles and that his half of the movie would be more violent than Tarantino's (see "Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino Teaming Up For Exploitation Flick"). The "Reservoir Dogs" mastermind, renowned for his unapologetic carnage, agreed. "It actually might, the way it's all turning out," he said.

"His movie is called 'Planet Terror,' and mine is called 'Death Proof,' " Tarantino revealed. "Mine is sort of a slasher film, but instead of a knife, it's a car. ... His, he's dealing with zombies and all that stuff. I think his might end up being more violent, but I'm not finished with my [script] yet, so you never know."

The former video-store clerk, clad in a white button-down shirt depicting a dragon attacking a tiger, said he and Rodriguez are particularly excited about shooting fake "trailers" that will enhance the "Grind House" experience. "That's one of the things we're looking the most forward to, shooting the phony trailers that will play in between the movies. I'm working out my blaxploitation trailer, and possibly a kung-fu trailer, a sexploitation trailer, a spaghetti-western trailer. I just need to kind of work them out a little bit. I'm just getting them down there, but I think for sure I'm going to do the sexploitation trailer, which is called 'Cowgirls in Sweden.' "

Adding that the phony "Sweden" trailer will probably star some of the women already cast in "Death Proof," Tarantino said they plan to shoot their irreverent trailer-within-a-movie-within-a-movie double feature at the beginning of next year.

In other Rodriguez-Tarantino news, the director commented on Frank Miller's recent statement that Tarantino's hectic schedule may keep him from participating in the second "Sin City" film (see " 'Sin City' Co-Directors Working On Sequels, Eyeing A Tarantino Replacement"). "Well that might not be the case, actually," the enthusiastic auteur insisted. "I'll be in Austin [Texas] for a long time on 'Grind House' ... so [Rodriguez and I will] be doing a thing together, then after that he goes right into 'Sin City 2,' so they just have to offer me a scene. Maybe there's not a scene for me this time, but I can't imagine that I wouldn't make myself available if they wanted me [to]."

Beyond that, the future gets a bit fuzzy, but Tarantino was still willing to address some of the projects surrounding him. "['Inglorious Bastards'] will probably be the next thing I do after I finish 'Grind House' with Robert," he said of the long-gestating World War II film viewed by many as his "Dirty Dozen"-influenced project. "That will be my next big Mount Everest, climb-the-mountain kind of project."

"I've got a big portion of it done," the Oscar-winning screenwriter said of his "Inglorious" script. "I've been waiting for all the 'Kill Bill' stuff to be over with, and then to maybe chill on it a little bit, and then [get] ready to finish writing it. ... I have like five years of writing behind me now, and I just need to add one more year to it."

While Tarantino did confirm that longtime leading man Michael Madsen will be in "Inglorious," he denied rumors of uniting former action-film competitors Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the film. "No, I never said that. I'm a big fan of both those guys, but all that is just rumors. All these casting things that everyone's been saying is just complete speculation."

What isn't speculative, however, is Tarantino's desire to someday make a third "Kill Bill" epic, this time following the story of the Bride's daughter, B.B. (actress Perla Haney-Jardine), when she becomes an adult and confronts the violence that surrounded her youth. "That would be the third one," Tarantino enthused. "I'd have to wait about 10 years. Uma's got to get 10 years older, the little girl has to grow up and everything. And then we'd do the next chapter in the 'Kill Bill' series."

Then there's another long-term project, the tentatively titled "Vega Brothers" film that would team Vincent Vega (John Travolta in "Pulp Fiction") with his brother Vic Vega (Madsen in "Reservoir Dogs") in a prequel-ish story featuring the original actors. "I could do it," Tarantino said. "I've actually figured out a way, even though the characters have gotten older, to do it. I just have to have the ambition to write it."

Asked what this ingenious twist would be, Tarantino would only flash his famously mischievous grin: "If I told you that, then I would never write it at all."

Pubrick

Quote from: FernandoTarantino Gushes About 'Grind,' Says Next 'Kill Bill' Is 10 Years Away.
that's still too soon..
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: FernandoTarantino Gushes About 'Grind,' Says Next 'Kill Bill' Is 10 Years Away.
that's still too soon..
10 years away... aka his next film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Tarantino & Rodriguez Begin Grind
Source: Variety February 2, 2006

The Weinstein Company's Grind -- for which Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez are each set to direct a 60-minute horror tale -- is headed into production in the coming weeks, with Rodriguez readying to shoot his segment on his home turf of Austin, Texas.

Variety says Rodriguez's part, "Planet Terror," will be a zombie movie, while Tarantino's section, "Death Proof," will a slasher film. Casting hasn't been announced for either segment.

The two filmmakers are hammering out concepts for some of the faux trailers and ads that will run between the two pics as an intermission.

Tarantino is keen this time on shooting a fake trailer for a sexploitation movie titled "Cowgirls in Sweden." Other possibilities include a blaxploitation film and a kung-fu movie.

The trade says that Grind will be shot in the tradition of the '70s exploitation films that influences both helmers.

The studio is targeting a September 22 release for Grind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

september is such a pussy date for this.  i cant believe after sin city and kill bill they wouldnt go out in summer or october or something?  though i guess those had pussy release dates as well april, oct but not as bad as sept.  i guess the whole anthology thing is a risky proposition but as hostel & sin city can tell you anything with tarantino's name slapped on it will make money.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

"All Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez want to do is wallow in comfort. To them it's all about hangin' back in the parlors of grindhouse, guns, babes and blood...in style and pizazz and dime-store machismo. Neither wants to reach deep inside and create something half-original about love and desire and struggle on the planet earth. They obviously don't have the temperament to do this, but I'm starting to formulate an idea that they don't even have the nerve. The latest wallow is going to be funded by the Weinstein Co., with both Tarantino and Rodriguez planning to direct a 60-minute horror tale. Rodriguez's will be a zombie thing called "Planet Terror," and Tarantino's, to be called "Death Proof," will a slasher piece. They're a pair of middle-aged teenaged wankers...wasting their time and pissing away their talent."

--Jeffrey Wells. www.hollywood-elsewhere.com

matt35mm

Quote from: Alexandro on February 02, 2006, 02:31:41 PM

"All Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez want to do is wallow in comfort. To them it's all about hangin' back in the parlors of grindhouse, guns, babes and blood...in style and pizazz and dime-store machismo. Neither wants to reach deep inside and create something half-original about love and desire and struggle on the planet earth. They obviously don't have the temperament to do this, but I'm starting to formulate an idea that they don't even have the nerve. The latest wallow is going to be funded by the Weinstein Co., with both Tarantino and Rodriguez planning to direct a 60-minute horror tale. Rodriguez's will be a zombie thing called "Planet Terror," and Tarantino's, to be called "Death Proof," will a slasher piece. They're a pair of middle-aged teenaged wankers...wasting their time and pissing away their talent."

I don't like this guy's attitude.  He speaks as if talented people owe it to the world to make something "deep."  First of all, "love and desire and struggle on the planet earth?"  he seems to be acknowledging the silliness of his point as he's making it.  Second of all, did he forget who these two guys are?  Their portrayal of "struggle on the planet earth" have always including slashing of some sort.

Tarantino and Rodriguez have no obligation to anyone but themselves with regard to what they do with their time and talent, and this random fellow is silly for suggesting that they do.  Or he just phrased it poorly, and meant to say that he would like if they used their time and talent to produce something that he would enjoy more.

polkablues

I predict that Quentin's segment won't be done for another three years, while Rodriguez's will be written, shot, edited, scored, premiered, and playing on HBO by this weekend.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

Quote from: matt35mm on February 02, 2006, 05:29:41 PM

I don't like this guy's attitude.  He speaks as if talented people owe it to the world to make something "deep."  First of all, "love and desire and struggle on the planet earth?"  he seems to be acknowledging the silliness of his point as he's making it.  Second of all, did he forget who these two guys are?  Their portrayal of "struggle on the planet earth" have always including slashing of some sort.

Tarantino and Rodriguez have no obligation to anyone but themselves with regard to what they do with their time and talent, and this random fellow is silly for suggesting that they do.  Or he just phrased it poorly, and meant to say that he would like if they used their time and talent to produce something that he would enjoy more.

I agree with the "half original" part. And I do think is sad that an extremely talented guy like Tarantino prefers to play it safe with this kind of material, what happened to Inglorious Bastards?

matt35mm

Quote from: Alexandro on February 03, 2006, 04:26:08 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on February 02, 2006, 05:29:41 PM

I agree with the "half original" part. And I do think is sad that an extremely talented guy like Tarantino prefers to play it safe with this kind of material, what happened to Inglorious Bastards?
It is sad, sure.  I know I'm not really holding my breath for Grind House.  I just disagree that Tarantino (and to a lesser extent, Rodriguez) should be attacked like that for not doing what we want him to do.  I would hate if anyone suggested that I owe it to them to produce work that excites them.  For whatever reason, Tarantino wants to do this little whatever movie, and I'm glad that he exists in a world (his own head) where he feels free to express himself however he chooses.  And I have the right to buy or not buy a ticket depending on my interest.  I don't feel I'd have much of a right to bash Tarantino for not producing something that I would buy a ticket for.  At the very least, he may be saving me a few bucks.

But for this Wells guy to declare that Tarantino and Rodriguez are time-wasting wankers that should be capitalizing on their talent to the fullest extent instead of doing what interests them... I dunno, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

pete

man, that guy's criticism of QT and RR were only half-original as well.  They make flashy genre movies, flashier than most genre films allow...and somehow everyone considers that less original than who knows what filmmakers they glorify.  I don't think QT and RR are any less original...I have never seen no knifefight between two moms inside a suburban home that ended with a gun in a cereal box and a flying knife...nor thumb warriors fighting little children.  I think these two guys are really good at branding themselves as the lovechildren of older movies, but that's all just media gimmicks, anyone bashing these dudes on those grounds obviously don't look deep enough.  I also hate it when they say like these guys are playing it "safe" or whatever.  There is nothing safe about shooting a kungfu scene, anyone who has tried can tell you that it's harder than anything else physically.  If RR was so safe, then why don't they have just a slew of mariachi westerns line up in the b-movie section? 
There is a lot of exhuberance coming out of these guys' movies--if that emotion is deep and profound enough for Jeffery Wells, they're a couple of dudes ecstatic to be making movies, and the ecstasy is so loud that even teenaged boys can pick it up.  People who write of these guys (as well as the City of God pair) as all style and no substance forget about guys like McG and Michael Bay--it's like calling high IQ autistics retarded. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jigzaw

Wrong.  Wrong wrong wrong.  I'm not getting into Rodriguez since I'm not too into his work, but if you want "love and desire and struggle" look no further than Jackie Brown which was a poignant piece of work about aging and lonliness and the struggle for prosperity and yes, love.  Are you going to tell me that the relationship between Tim Roth's  and Harvey Keitel's characters in Reservoir Dogs isn't complex and moving?  How about that final scene between Beatrix and Bill?  Were you not transfixed when Bruce Willis almost walks out the door but then turns around and risks his life to save his sworn enemy who was just trying to kill him??  Tarantino's work is full of love and desire and struggle, all told with masterfully stylized dialogue and visual flair. 

Redlum

That guy sounds like an arsehole but I half agree with him. I really disliked Sin City and I see this ever-growing partnership with RR taking Tarantino down a path further and further away from Inglorious Bastards.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

Well, obviously, I agree with the guy.

I'm not going to get dragged into a big Tarantino argument but there is sense to this type of criticism. Even if you love Tarantino's films these days you have to admit he carries a personality and attitude that will draw less serious comment and more bullshit remarks like this one.

Alexandro

Well, sorry, but for me, making kung fu and zombie movies is a very safe place to be as a filmmaker after you made a masterpiece landmark film that changed the face of cinema in the 90's, and I'm talking only about Tarantino here. I was not saying that shooting kung fu sequences were not risky phisically, I meant as an artist. All this b-movie exercises are a safe place because no matter what, you can't really take this movies seriously. It's not a disrespectful thing, but in my view, Quentin Tarantino could be like a Kubrick or an Scorsese, not like George A. Romero. I hope anyways, that this zombie thing breaks free of the genre, instead of only being another homage. I wanna see Tarantino giving the finger to his references for once.

jigzaw

Quote from: Alexandro on February 09, 2006, 12:14:15 PM
Well, sorry, but for me, making kung fu and zombie movies is a very safe place to be as a filmmaker after you made a masterpiece landmark film that changed the face of cinema in the 90's, and I'm talking only about Tarantino here. I was not saying that shooting kung fu sequences were not risky phisically, I meant as an artist. All this b-movie exercises are a safe place because no matter what, you can't really take this movies seriously. It's not a disrespectful thing, but in my view, Quentin Tarantino could be like a Kubrick or an Scorsese, not like George A. Romero. I hope anyways, that this zombie thing breaks free of the genre, instead of only being another homage. I wanna see Tarantino giving the finger to his references for once.

Though I love each of his films, I'm kind of with you here.  He really is too in love with the trash movies.