Grind House

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM

w/o horse

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: Losing the Horse:
Quote from: eward
Quote from: Losing the Horse:a lover of film.

he doesn't really seem to love anything but that, though.  that's the whole problem.

Agreed.  Perhaps it's a matter of perspective, because to me that's not so bad.  There are worse flaws to have, and moreso at least his is advancive to the nature of film (albeit by consuming the history of film).  As in - I would rather QT have his stature than Michael Bay have the same stature, or I agree with QT's stature more than Ron Howard's.  While QT might not be a spark under film in a creative sense, he is in a fundamental sense.  He is there to say:  look what came before me, look what you can do with it.  And both those ideas, those purposes, are worthy of admiration from the film community.
Until it becomes redundant.

I would never argue against his talent and ability to generate excitement in filmgoers (which is all fantastic), but he IS becoming stale because of how redundant his most recent work has become.  I saw half of the CSI episode, and couldn't believe that I was supposed to take that buried alive thing seriously.  In fact, I did think it was a joke... until I saw that it wasn't.  It wasn't even an elaboration on an idea that he previously started in Kill Bill, it was just taking the same thing into I-Don't-Care-Anymore territory.

His whole thing is EXCITEMENT for and in cinema!  It's just that the excitement is going down.  We need something new from him, not something rehashed from something old, and not something cute like pink, scuffy-looking 70s style movies with trailers in the middle.  It's a cute idea, no doubt, but cute can only take you so far.

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown (and to a lesser extent, Reservior Dogs) were exciting, a jolt to the heartbeat of cinema.  Kill Bill was thrilling, another something fresh that was needed at the time.  So I'd never say that QT wasn't or even isn't awesome, but I fear of growing weary of him, and this movie idea doesn't do much to squash that fear.

This is probably the side in which the opposition of my opinion is going to head towards, but I invite you to consider what you're saying.  I think that perhaps this current generation of film snobs has its nose too close to the mirror when QT is concerned.  If QT made Reservoir Dogs tomorrow instead of yesterday, it would be hated, it would ridiculed as pretentious and derivative.  There is a group of people who would still say that of the movie now, but the group would be much larger if the film came out tomorrow.  It is not QT who is becoming less exciting, but it us that has become less excited for QT.

There's going to come a point in which the dust is going to settle and the finger pointing is going to end, and that will be his legacy.  It's just too thick right now, it's being attacked from too many sides, the man is being cannibalized right now from certain crowds.

As for eward's post, that's ridiculous.  But then I don't give a flying fuck if Tom Cruise is jumping on couches, Russell Crowe is throwing phones, etc.  I don't criticize the personalities of people I know from the media.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

meatball

I turned my back on QT when he stated during a Kill Bill interview, "I wanted to test the limits of my talent," or something along those lines. But I don't blame him for being so into himself as a maestro director, being carried on the shoulders of everyone for such a long time. He is overrated. He's a great spinmaster and has a great publicity team, but he believes in all of his publicity so much that he's cannibalized himself.

Horse, don't call out eward's post as ridiculous then dive into a long theoretical debate on "QT's greatness or non greatness." I remember the exact same thing he mentioned.

And you do criticize people/personalities in the media, or you wouldn't be talking about QT right now. I'm suspecting QT could be similar to Troy Duffy, but the successful version... if only documentary cameras would capture it and show it to us.

w/o horse

I think there's a difference between work and person, but I qualified my opinion with eward, and if it came off abrupt I apologize.  It wasn't a matter of if QT said it or not, however, it was a matter of the importance of that action.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pubrick

Quote from: Losing the Horse:I think you're making a brash judgement here, and perhaps even judging QT by his fans.
perhaps,. but i'm afraid QT has long been judging HIMSELF by his fans.
under the paving stones.

modage

Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino Teaming Up For Exploitation Flick 'Grind House' to be a double feature.
Source: MTV News

Robert Rodriguez ambled into the Four Seasons hotel wearing a black bandana, matching T-shirt with a skull on the front, and brandishing an acoustic guitar. He was there to discuss "Sin City," his comic-book blockbuster arriving on DVD August 16. But first, he wanted to talk about a few other things.

"I'm doing an exploitation movie with Quentin [Tarantino]," the one-man film crew said of his longtime friend and "Sin City" guest director. "It's a double feature called 'Grind House.' There'll be a lot of location stuff on that, but we're shooting it really fast because it's supposed to be like an old '70s drive-in-type movie."

The Texas-born filmmaker revealed that he's currently holed up at Tarantino's Los Angeles abode, and they're working both together and separately. "I'm at his house now writing it," Rodriguez said of the film that they expect to shoot "probably in the fall ... They're two different movies, but he reads me stuff and I tell him stuff that I do."

Rodriguez reported that "Grind House" will be made for former Miramax honchos Harvey and Bob Weinstein's new company, and that the two Miramax disciples came up with the idea for the film after a coincidence that could only happen to them. "Before 'Sin City,' I had an idea to do a double feature. I had kind of forgotten about an old double-feature poster I had — it was two movie posters on the same poster: 'Two Hot Rod Flicks Together: "Dragstrip Girl" and "Rock All Night," ' and I thought that's cool, that I should do something like that. Two truncated features, each one is like an hour. I forgot about it and went to Quentin's house to show him his 'Sin City' DVD, his section, and he had the same poster on his floor.

"I said, 'Hey, I thought about doing a double feature,' " he continued. "I'll do one and you should do the other one, and he was like, 'F--- yeah, we'll call it "Grind House" and we'll do fake trailers in between for movies that don't exist!' "

When asked about the plot for his half, Rodriguez answered, "I can't say," a statement he echoed when asked about Tarantino's tale, revealing only that "my part will probably be more violent."

The former "El Mariachi" indie sensation added that he will serve as director of photography on Tarantino's half, which will most likely be shot in Austin, Texas. To return the favor, Tarantino may appear on camera in Rodriguez's half. "He said if I had a part for him, he'd love to do it. He loves to work with people, like he did with me on 'From Dusk Till Dawn,' something different from what he normally does."

Insisting that "I've got probably the best character I've ever come up with in mind" for the script, Rodriguez beamed that "Grind House" will be "done like real Roger Corman-style, where some of my cast will show up in his movie, but as the characters in his movie. It's almost like this is our troupe of actors. One of the trailers will feature someone in the cast of his movie, in another movie that doesn't exist."

One such phony ad will include another former "Dusk" co-collaborator. "I'll tell you one of the ideas for a trailer," Rodriguez revealed. "It's an exploitation movie starring Danny Trejo. He's a Mexican, and he's the hero, and it's really cool."

Rodriguez then moved on to news about the "Sin City" sequels he announced earlier this year, saying that while he wasn't sure if Tarantino's schedule would allow him to guest direct again, graphic novel creator Frank Miller will definitely return. "He wants to [direct again]. He loves it. He said, 'Now I can see why you want to do this all the time.' He can't wait to get back on the set."

The second film, currently being written by Rodriguez and Miller, will largely focus on another popular installment of the series. " 'A Dame to Kill For' will probably be the basis of the second one," Rodriguez stated. "Marv [Mickey Rourke] comes back, because this is before he died; Dwight [Clive Owen] is in that one, Gail [Rosario Dawson] is in that one, both Goldie and Wendy [Jaime King, twice] together, she's still alive. Miho [Devon Aoki] is in that one, and then there are a bunch of new characters."

Although none of the original actors have signed on for a sequel, Rodriguez said he isn't worried. "They would come do it; it's only two days of their life. They'd be like, I can do that in a free weekend," he laughed, adding that scene-stealer Rourke's participation was a certainty. "He'd want to come do it. He had fun.

"We're still writing the script to see if there's enough for a third one, or if we're just going to do a second one," Rodriguez concluded. "We're supposed to shoot in January, but we might do it earlier if we keep working at this clip."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

sounds cool, hopefully it pays off
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

JG

I'm sure this will be somewhere between cool and awesome, but after this enough with the homage stuff.  Just make a regular movie without making a point of paying tribute to 60s and 70s cinema.

And I swear If QT's movie involves someone in a coffin I'll be mad.   I'm thinking it will be a summer 06 release, pushing back Inglorious Bastards even farther.

w/o horse

QT should swallow his pride and ask someone for help in naming movies.  Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Kill Bill, Grind House.  Jesus fuck.  He'll probably name his kid Hamburgler.

Brazoliange

what a dirty shame for him  :violin:
Long live the New Flesh

72teeth

Quoteafter this enough with the homage stuff. Just make a regular movie without making a point of paying tribute to 60s and 70s cinema
Isn't Bastards going to be a war movie love letter all and all. I like Quentin, but he's a one trick pony, it just so happens that the trick is "mimic/tribute" therefore giving him an aray of material.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

JG

Quote from: 72teeth
Quoteafter this enough with the homage stuff. Just make a regular movie without making a point of paying tribute to 60s and 70s cinema
Isn't Bastards going to be a war movie love letter all and all. I like Quentin, but he's a one trick pony, it just so happens that the trick is "mimic/tribute" therefore giving him an aray of material.

Your probably right about Bastards, but it doesn't seem  quite as blatant as this grind house idea.  

Jesus, it seems like every interview in which Quentin says, "I got this new script I'm working on thats kind of a homage."  

I still have to see the movie that Reservoir Dogs supposedly ripped off, but it seems that his first couple films were pretty original.

hedwig

Quote from: JimmyGatorit seems that his first couple films were pretty original.

do you mean films he wrote?  or films he wrote/directed?

JG

i was specifically thinking of reservoir dogs and pulp fiction which he wrote/directed, but would the validity of my statement change if i said true romance as well?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rodriguez Talks Grind House
Filmmaker discusses Tarantino collaboration.

During the recent press day for the DVD release of Sin City, Robert Rodriguez mentioned an upcoming project that he's working on with Quentin Tarantino, called Grind House. The project, which was announced last month, will feature two truncated films connected by a series of movie trailers that Rodriguez says will be for "movies that don't exist." Here's what the filmmaker told us about Grind House…

IGN FILMFORCE: Will your future projects, like the Sin City sequels, feature the same green screen production style?

ROBERT RODRIGUEZ: Uh, probably. It depends; there might be a couple of sets. We did the bar set, and some other stuff in the bar, but you couldn't get the same look, so yeah. The look will be so stylized, even more probably, in the second one, that we would have to shoot it green screen.

IGN FILMFORCE: How are you adapting that technical approach to new or different projects?

Rodriguez: I'm doing an exploitation movie with Quentin, a double feature called Grind House, and there will be a lot of location stuff on that, but we will shoot it really fast because it's supposed to be like an old '70s drive-in-type movie. We would have to shoot it quick.

IGN FILMFORCE: When will that go into production?

RODRIGUEZ: As soon as we finish the script. I'm at his house right now writing, so we're writing our scripts, so probably in the fall.

IGN FILMFORCE: Do you have any casting ideas?

RODRIGUEZ: Nah. We threw a few ideas out, but nothing yet. It's really great. They are two different movies. I mean, he reads me stuff… he reads and acts out his stuff and reads the stuff that I do. We're just doing our own thing, but I've got probably the best character I've ever come up with in mind, so I'm excited (laughs). They're separate movies, but it's like you're seeing a double feature. I'm going to D.P. his movie.

IGN FILMFORCE: Is it easier for you to work at this accelerated pace since you are outside of Hollywood?

RODRIGUEZ: Well, that one was one I was thinking of doing before Sin City; I had an idea to do a double feature. I had an old double feature poster that had two movie posters on the same poster, saying 'Two Hot Rod Flicks Together,' Drag Strip Girl and Rock All Night or something like that, and I thought I should do something like that; they are truncated features, like each one is an hour. I forgot about it and went to show [Tarantino] his Sin City scene, and he had the same poster on his floor (laughs). I said, 'Hey! I was thinking about doing a double feature - you should do one and I'll do the other one.' He was like, 'Oh, f*** yeah, we'll call it Grind House and we'll do fake trailers in between for movies that don't exist.' So we're just having so much fun. It will be [released through] the new Weinstein company.

IGN FILMFORCE: What's the basic plot of your half?

RODRIGUEZ: I can't say, but it's just got some really cool stuff - I'm so excited to do this!

IGN FILMFORCE: Where do you and Tarantino meet creatively, and where do you part ways?

RODRIGUEZ: I think we just have an enthusiasm for the material, and we've got our own approach to it, but we borrow from each other all of the time. He likes to learn from me and the things that I'm doing and vice versa. I think we're willing to try anything at this point. We had dinner with Tony Scott last night and he was talking about that same thing; he was trying to pull out of us how we make these movies (laughs). We're trying to figure out how he makes his, and he's trying to figure out how we make ours. 'I don't understand how you do it on green screen and all of this other stuff - I want to get into some of that.'

(Rodriguez is briefly interrupted by a call from Greg Nicotero of KNB Effects.)

IGN FILMFORCE: Are you and Greg planning on working together?

RODRIGUEZ: He's probably wondering what we're doing on Grind House. There's a lot of work to do, but we don't know what it is yet.

IGN FILMFORCE: Does Tarantino have a cameo in Grind House?

RODRIGUEZ: He said if I have a part for him he'd love to do it. He'd love to work with people like he did on From Dusk 'Til Dawn, something just different than what he normally does. [But] I'm finishing writing the script first and then I'll say, 'See if any of these guys are for you.' I wrote the Danny Trejo part in Mexico for him to play - that's why I came up with the line 'Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't?' So that he could say 'I'm a Mexi-can.' But he couldn't do it. He was doing Kill Bill, so Danny did it. But originally that was for Quentin; he was going to have a fu Manchu [moustache] and everything. It's fun.

IGN FILMFORCE: What about the El Mariachi franchise - do you have any future plans for that?

RODRIGUEZ: I thought about doing a PSP game that would follow [Johnny Depp's character]. That would be cool, a Once Upon a Time in Mexico video game for the PSP - The Man With No Eyes. He would be a blind gunfighter.

IGN FILMFORCE: Do you have any interest in following Tarantino's lead and directing any television?

RODRIGUEZ: Well, I might direct an episode of the George Lopez Show for George, just because it sounds like fun.

IGN FILMFORCE: Would you try to stay true to the format of the show, or would you put your own spin on it?

RODRIGUEZ: You would know I was there (laughs).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks