Jim Jarmusch

Started by Tommy Both, February 06, 2003, 05:22:56 PM

Pwaybloe

Quote from: GhostboyThe project began back in 1986 and features Jarmusch's friends and colleagues discussing various world issues over coffee and cigarettes. Among the topics discussed in the black and white film are the Elvis conspiracy and Paris in the 1920s. Roberto Benigni, Steve Buscemi, Cate Blanchett and Iggy Pop are some of the stars that appear in the film.

MrBurgerKing

There's a fat, native american man who walks around with Johnny Depp, talking nonsense the whole time.. I always laugh because I know people who talk and talk horseshit all day, like pricks, but I'm too polite to say 'shut the hell up.'

Who wants to talk about Dead Man for a second. Do I remember it correctly, or are the last 10-20 minutes among the most crazy and drugged up cinema you'll see? Not so much in the images, but it's so slow, and poetic, and has this surreal quality to it that just drags the film to an end. It seems as if 'drag' is a negative term, but in this case it's not. I should say it drifts the film to an end.

Cecil

i like the shots of the train at the beginning

ShanghaiOrange

I've never seen even one second of any of his movies but I just bought all the ones that are on DVD for seventy-six dollars and fourty-four cents. I can't wait. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Ghostboy

Good buy.

I love buying collected works like that -- I've never bought an entire repertoire of anyone's at one time, but I do like to make mass blind buys based purely on reccomendation. Although I can't afford to do it often.

ShanghaiOrange

I think I'm gonna do the same thing with Godard one of these days. That will cost some money though. :(

Last five films (video)

Pozer

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI've never seen even one second of any of his movies but I just bought all the ones that are on DVD for seventy-six dollars and fourty-four cents. I can't wait. :(

8======D
man, where'd you get that hook up from? I just bought Ghost Dog and Dead Man for 30 bucks. And Down By Law was thirty something by itself.
I'm jealous

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (video)

ShanghaiOrange

These have started coming in the mail. Mystery Train was first. It was good.

There were supposed to be no subtitles, right?

Last five films (video)

lamas

the best thing about Mystery Train was that dude's skill with the lighter.

Pas

Quote from: MrBurgerKingThere's a fat, native american man who walks around with Johnny Depp, talking nonsense the whole time.. I always laugh because I know people who talk and talk horseshit all day, like pricks, but I'm too polite to say 'shut the hell up.'

Who wants to talk about Dead Man for a second. Do I remember it correctly, or are the last 10-20 minutes among the most crazy and drugged up cinema you'll see? Not so much in the images, but it's so slow, and poetic, and has this surreal quality to it that just drags the film to an end. It seems as if 'drag' is a negative term, but in this case it's not. I should say it drifts the film to an end.

Yes I love that ending. It so fucking weird and cool.

The Neil Young score for that movie is borderline genius

You Never Got Me Down Ray

I just needed to bring this post back to the top, Jim deserves it.

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeThese have started coming in the mail. Mystery Train was first. It was good.

There were supposed to be no subtitles, right?

Haha! There are subtitles. I did the same thing the first time I watched it, but figured it out about half way through the first 'Act.' It makes a lot more sense when you know what those two are saying.  :lol:

Stranger Than Paradise is great. If you like this I think you will dig his other works.
In order I like Dead Man, Down By Law, Ghost Dog, Mystery Train, and Stranger Than Paradise. I've only caught a few scenes of Nigh on Earth on IFC, so I don't know about that one yet. They are all great buys for anyone who wants to waste a few bucks.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

modage

Murray & Jarmusch to Reteam on a Comedy
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Thursday, May 20, 2004

Bill Murray is set to star in a yet-to-be-titled Jim Jarmusch comedy that will shoot in the summer, says The Hollywood Reporter. The film will shoot in upstate New York and is expected to be in the $8 million-$10 million bracket, depending on final cast.

Murray appears in Jarmusch's latest movie Coffee and Cigarettes, in which he discusses the pros and cons of caffeine and nicotine with the Wu-Tang Clan rappers RZA and GZA. It recently opened in North America.

Jarmusch has reportedly been chasing Murray for some time for this role. The actor finally agreed to take the part if the picture could be fast-tracked into production to fit his schedule. Other cast members have yet to be locked down.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

LostEraser

I just saw Coffee and Cigarettes and really loved it. A lot of people are saying that it's really minor Jarmusch, but I think that's kind of the point. Just something very subtle and low key that he'd been working on every once in a while during the last 18 years. And I think it's brilliant just the way it is.

That's great news about the Bill Murray Jarmusch project, btw.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

kotte

What's the Waits song ín the beginning called?