This Awesome Grant

Started by Reinhold, June 26, 2005, 06:48:01 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: md on April 03, 2006, 02:05:51 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on April 03, 2006, 08:35:00 AM
Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 02, 2006, 02:09:02 PM
premise: a small group english-speaking american college students is going to europe for a month with no solid plan and very little money.
no offense, but that's a really shitty premise.

Watch Hostel. 
i knew someone would say that. i know you're joking (i hope) but that was fictional and the premise involved a brothel. while reinhold and friends will most likely become victims of human trafficking by the end, the whole thing up to that point is going to be a few drunken nites, some random hitchhiking (maybe), and their cameras getting stolen. with no nudity to guarrantee anyone will watch it.

it's useless for me to say anything cos he's made up his mind. i'm sayin if he intends to make something interesting that ppl who DONT know him will like, he's got his work cut out for him.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: md on April 03, 2006, 02:05:51 PM
premise: a small group english-speaking american college students is going to europe for a month with no solid plan and very little money.

Watch Hostel. 

I live very close to Brockport College, if you really wanted to do this, then I'd suggest you hit up film students at either RIT or U of R.  Your only 18? A GL2 is relatively cheap, why not just get a job for a month, hunt on ebay, then just make your documentary.  With these grants, you might have that bitch called expectation to live up to.  Good luck.

funny you should mention that. i'm trying to go to europe this summer specifically for the purpose of spending as little time in/around brockport/rochester as possible this summer.

and i can handle this without asking for a handout from students at RIT or U of R.

that's not the actual premise. it's actually much more about young people asserting their identities in a space where the only way people relate to them is through the filter of the presupposed national identity of Americans. the no solid plan and very little money will help flesh out the drama therein.

maybe that's still shitty, but it's what i'm thinking. by all means, please offer your suggestions.

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Reinhold

Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pas

Shit I just read this whole thread thinking it was pretty new.

How did that documentary in europe go Reinhold?

ono

I guess it didn't go.

I was just scanning the main page of Xixax, considering how dead the place is now, and I came across this thread.

Couple weeks ago I finished a grant writing class, so I'm certified now.  Figure it's a good tool for any filmmaker to have under his belt.  That HDNet RFP is still up there.  Interesting to see what kind of stuff actually got funded.

Reinhold

i ended up spending that summer in rochester, unable to afford the doc/trip. and then i promptly forgot that it was an idea i ever had.

reading it now, that was a really awful idea. my god, i can't believe how much i've grown up in the last four years.

it was difficult for me to even get through the first page of this thread-- i was cringing so hard that my eyes were barely open. half-baked ideas galore, defense of the boondock saints, speaking in definite terms about total bullshit... wow. somebody go back to 2006 and kill me.

Pas

Oh yeah it's definitely crazy how we can be oblivious­ younger.

I hope it ends someday, I'm sick as fuck of reading old stuff I wrote and wanting to die.