Richard Linklater

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 06:57:47 PM

ono

Quote from: bigpermThen the lady asked me if I had read the book, I said yes, she said sorry you can't come, we want people who know nothing about the story.
Always find out why you're answering a question before you answer it.  Next time you're asked a question like that, ask "why does it matter?"  Then, maybe she'll overplay her hand, and you'll find out the right answer to give.

Test screenings such as that one already indicate that the film is a bad idea in concept, and has problems.  These producers and whatnot don't want people who know the book, because they don't want people raining on their screwy ideas about what they're trying to make, because it probably isn't true to the book.  Good thing you didn't get to see it -- if you liked the book, you'd've probably been pissed off.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ono.Test screenings such as that one already indicate that the film is a bad idea in concept, and has problems.

No, it doesn't. It might be because they want to know how non-readers of the book react to the story; if it has a bigger interest than just the fan base of the book.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bigperm

She remarked that they sought a small group of "educated" thinkers to see if they got the film. Something like that.
Safe As Milk

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ono.Test screenings such as that one already indicate that the film is a bad idea in concept, and has problems.

No, it doesn't. It might be because they want to know how non-readers of the book react to the story; if it has a bigger interest than just the fan base of the book.
yeah, ono, thats completely not true.  they probably want an unbiased opinion from people who arent going to automatically love it cause they love the book or hate it cause its different from the book, probably since 90% of their audience will not have read the book when they see the film.  also, to an audience who doesnt know the story they want to see if it comes across, all the points, etc...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: bigpermShe remarked that they sought a small group of "educated" thinkers to see if they got the film. Something like that.
I see where Mac and modage are coming from, and you're both probably right.  But the quote leads me to believe I could be right too in this case.  I don't know, I wasn't there.  Just hazarding a (somewhat cynical) guess.  I just find it ironic that their idea of "educated thinkers" are people who have no predisposition towards the movie.

picolas

Quote from: ewardwhat a bitch
hahaha. i opened up this thread and for a second i thought that was the first post.

Just Withnail

Where do I get an education in thinking? I really wanna see this film.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ...& IWhere do I get an education in thinking?

Idle Chatter
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Awesome BigPerm... if you get to go, give me a call... I'll drive and pay for dinner at a ThunderCloud of your choice

pete

you texans are so lucky.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Linklater will coach 'Bears' redo for Par
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Richard Linklater has signed on to direct "The Bad News Bears" for Paramount Pictures. Billy Bob Thornton is set to star in the remake of the 1976 Walter Matthau feature about a group of Little League misfits who are transformed into a winning team. Geyer Kosinski is producing "Bears," which is due to go into production in November. Linklater, a stalwart of the indie scene, scored a solid commercial hit when he directed Paramount's 2003 comedy "School of Rock," which grossed $81 million domestically. He also has been tapped to direct "The Smoker" for Paramount and Scott Rudin. That project was scheduled to begin production in the fall, but it will likely move back to film after "Bears," with an exact date still to be determined. Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, the writers and creative team behind the Thornton hit "Bad Santa," are writing the screenplay for "Bears."

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

modage

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: MacGuffinREMAKE REMAKE, FUCKING REMAKE
Very interesting.
not the word i was searching for....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

I think the word "remake" in itself is a pretty good explenation of my feelings toward this one.

In fact, people should start using it as a profanity: You fucking remake!

Nah? Ah, well...

Stefen

Linklater is making movies faster than a 1997-2001 Soderbergh.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.