Richard Linklater

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 06:57:47 PM

Redlum

I've only seen TAPE and Waking Life and I thought they were great. Im eager to see some more of his films.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

NEON MERCURY

MacGuffin

Richard Linklater Making Sunrise Sequel
Source: Variety

Castle Rock Entertainment and filmmaker Richard Linklater will reteam with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy this fall to make a followup to Linklater's 1995 romance, Before Sunrise.

Budgeted at less than $10 million, the untitled film will shoot this fall in Paris. It's a likely candidate for release through Warner Bros. Pictures' classics division.

In the original, young American Jesse (Hawke) and French student Celine (Delpy) meet on a train in Europe. They take a side trip to Vienna that lasts just one night, but the twentysomethings discover they have an intense connection. It comes to a bittersweet end when they part at the train station the next morning.

In the sequel, it's nine years later and Jesse is on the French leg of the book tour for his novel when he finds Celine once more.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffinRichard Linklater Making Sunrise Sequel
Source: Variety

Castle Rock Entertainment and filmmaker Richard Linklater will reteam with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy this fall to make a followup to Linklater's 1995 romance, Before Sunrise.

Budgeted at less than $10 million, the untitled film will shoot this fall in Paris. It's a likely candidate for release through Warner Bros. Pictures' classics division.

In the original, young American Jesse (Hawke) and French student Celine (Delpy) meet on a train in Europe. They take a side trip to Vienna that lasts just one night, but the twentysomethings discover they have an intense connection. It comes to a bittersweet end when they part at the train station the next morning.

In the sequel, it's nine years later and Jesse is on the French leg of the book tour for his novel when he finds Celine once more.

this will be so fuckin' lame!  i love BEFORE SUNRISE and i love the way it is.  i don't wanna fuckin' know what happens later on with jesse and celine.  besides, that was already answered in WAKING LIFE.  BEFORE SUNRISE 2 is a bd idea richard linklater, a really bad idea.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Richard Linklater Developing New Film
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Dazed and Confused writer/director Richard Linklater will write, direct and produce a still-untitled feature film in a similar tone as "Dazed" that will be set at a Texas college in the 1980s.

Paramount Pictures and Alphaville will produce the project. Production is set to begin in early to mid-2004, after Linklater wraps shooting the sequel to Castle Rock Entertainment's Before Sunrise.

Linklater's college film will revolve around the trials and tribulations of a freshman who arrives at the school to join the baseball team.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

I'd like to see him make a movie that explores his compulsion to relive his schooldays. There has to be a juicy trauma in there somewhere.

Sinking heart.

soixante

For those who say there's no plot in Dazed and Confused, I can only answer, yes there is a plot, but it's very minimal -- yet it's there.  There are really two threads -- Mitch's initiation (as Robert McKee would say, it's an "education plot"), and Pink's refusal to sign the pledge.  Both of these threads, which are casually set up, are sufficient to drive the entire narrative.
Music is your best entertainment value.

nix

I haven't seen a single nod to subUrbia! That film fuckin' rocks!

Slacker is very good, Dazed and Confused is magical, Before Sunrise is beautiful, haven't seen and have no desire to see The Newton Boys, Waking Life was great, as was Tape.

School of Rock looks a little more comercial than most of Linklater's other stuff, but the tripple threat of Linklater in the director's chair, a screenplay by Mike White, and the almighty Jack Black in the lead role equals me buying a ticket first day, first show.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Weak2ndAct

I'm looking forward to School of Rock, but I'm kinda pissed that Linklater got tossed the project.  Mike White intended it to be his directorial debut, wrote it for Black, got him signed on, but Sherry Lansing didn't think he could handle directing all those kids.  "You'll get the next one, sweetie," she supposedly said-- White related this info at a writer's guild panel.

meatwad

still have not seen before sunrise. It is on the top of my list. It seems like everybody around here loves it

MacGuffin

Stills from "Before Sunset" - release date June 25th:

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

well, at least julie delpy is getting work now..
under the paving stones.

Henry Hill

Anybody heard of the Fox show Linklater is involved in? I think it's called CRACKING UP. It stars Chris McDonald, Molly Shannon, and Jason Schwartzman. It looks pretty hilarious. It's created by Mike White, but Linklater is involved somehow. Producer or something.

monodynamic

Linklater stopped by for an interview today at the University of Texas.
For anyone that is interested, he has finished Before Sunset... and he is getting very close to starting pre-production on an animation film like Waking Life.
Seems like a pretty interesting filmmaker, with a very large movie fetish. This guy is one of the main players in the rise of the Austin film industry.

MacGuffin

Richard Linklater Helming A Scanner Darkly
Source: Production Weekly

School of Rock director Richard Linklater is attached to helm Philip K. Dick's novel A Scanner Darkly, according to Production Weekly.

Originally published in 1977, the novel comes frighteningly close to capturing the U.S. in 1991 in terms of the drug crisis and the relationships between the sexes.

Bob Arctor is a dealer of the lethally addictive drug Substance D. Fred is the police agent assigned to tail and eventually bust him. To do so, Fred takes on the identity of a drug dealer named Bob Arctor. And since Substance D--which Arctor takes in massive doses--gradually splits the user's brain into two distinct, combative entities, Fred doesn't realize he is narcing on himself.

Skeleton FilmWorks