Help with dirt on footage

Started by Recce, September 29, 2004, 10:24:02 PM

Recce

I just shot a video project for school and am now in post. The problem is my lens was apparently dirty(despite the fact that I cleaned the lens before shooting), something I did not notice until I viewed the footage. Most of the dirt is relatively negligeable until there is a lens flare or something, with the exception of this one black speck practically in the dead centre of the frame.

I am now sitting on two possibilities: Either reshoot and risk not getting a genuine performance from my characters again (Its a sort of documentary and I am very happy with what I got shooting the first time around) or attempt some sort of post production magic and clean off that speck. The project is two and half minutes, so I would be willing to go in frame by frame and clean it up (it's not in every shot, anyways), but I'm not sure how. I have after effects. Does anyone know what I could use to fix this? Can I do it in FCP 4.5 and how? I'm feeling pretty retarded right now.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Myxo

See, if you would have shot your film in digital, this wouldn't be a problem would it?

Ghostboy

Quote from: MyxomatosisSee, if you would have shot your film in digital, this wouldn't be a problem would it?

What?

Anyway, I've never had to fix a problem like this, but if you want to do it frame by frame, then you should export the project as an image sequence (under FCPs export settings) and it will create individual files for each frame (make sure you specify a specific folder to export to - I did it once and ended up with thousands of image files on my desktop). Then take those into photoshop and use the clone stamp tool to erase the dot, one at a time.

Recce

Photoshop would be ideal. How do I reassemble it into a working video afterwards? I've been playing around with after effects as well. There is a clone stamp there too, I think, but I can't seem to get it to work.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

Recce

Ok, using Shake 3.5, I managed to get the dirt off...mostly. It has an effect made specifically for that. It's the photoshop equivalent of the 'clone stamp tool'. So I went frame by frame and fixed the worst parts. It looks much better, but I can still see it. But after going through 5000 frames, its all I see now.

cine

Ghostboy

SHAKE RULES! Unfortunatelyl, I can't render anything out without a watermark. I thought I had the full version, but I guess I don't.