Dune

Started by modage, January 27, 2004, 12:37:55 PM

modage

REGION 0 RELEASE

Sanctuary Visual Entertainment have announced a new two-disc special edition of David Lynch's Dune for release in the UK on April 5th. This Region 0 set will feature a new 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer (the 131-min theatrical cut), remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks, "Impressions of Dune" (an all-new 2003 retrospective documentary including interviews with Kyle MacLachlan, cinematographer Freddie Francis, Editor Antony Gibbs, Producer Raffaella De Laurentiis and more), a vintage BBC interview with author Frank Herbert, rare on-set footage featuring David Lynch and Frank Herbert, trailers and a 32-page booklet containing exclusive images and essays by Paul Sammon, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Retail is £19.99. Also due on April 5th is a two-disc Blue Velvet special edition. This set features the Lynch-approved 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track, the all-new 35-min documentary "Strange Desires," an archival review from author J.G. Ballard from the BBC's "Moving Pictures" series, a trailer and a 16-page booklet with two exclusive essays. Retail is also £19.99.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Can't believe they're wasting the plastic on this.  Lucky Brits.

Blue Velvet, though, that's something for them to look forward to.  Well, that is, if you actually like the film.  Leave it to Lynch, though, not to do a commentary when he knows his fans crave it.  Blue Velvet is something of a masterpiece compared to Dune.  But then again, so is Gigli.

Pas

There are some cool scenes in Dune but I agree it should have been a thousand times better. If I heard today David Lynch was going to make Dune I would probably cream my pants several times and some more.

Ravi

How is the miniseries?  I saw it recently for surprisingly cheap but I didn't buy it.

freakerdude

I happened to catch a Director's Special series called The Films Of David Lynch (made in 2003) by Encore. It's about 1 hour on Lynch's career with him and various cast being interviewed from last year. It has Lynch, Mel Brooks, Dennis Hopper, Laura Dern, Kyle Maclachlan, Laura Harring, and Sissy Spacek interviews. It is on Comcast's Video On Demand VOD > Starz On Demand > Series.

In this documentary, David admitted that his biggest failure was with Dune in that he decided to do it even though he didn't feel 100% sure after reading it. In fact not only did he say it was a failure but repeated that it was a nightmare. In his words after praising Dino and cast, "Dune took 3 years to make from start to finish but it was a nightmare and".....David takes a 6 second pause, thinks, and says again......"It was a nightmare". The budget and his salary had to be cut from the original plan and he could not afford the special effects that he wanted to achieve. He did not get the final cut, a decision which he was not happy with.

He told a cool story about how he was given approval for The Elephant Man. Mel Brooks read the screenplay but didn't know anything about DL. When he was told that Mel Brooks was going to screen Eraserhead as an example of his work, he knew he would be rejected. DL was told to show up at the studios at the end of the screening, for some reason. With David waiting behind the doors, Mel rapidly walked out after it was over towards David, embraced him and said, "I love you. You are a madman!". Lynch credits Mel Brooks for "finding" him as a director.

Laura Dern and many other actors have an extremely high respect for Lynch, as I do.  Check out this interview out if you get a chance. I have watched it twice now and is very informative b/c there is a lot of DL interviewing.
MC Pee Pants

NEON MERCURY

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.cool thanks....

see you guys lynch shows respect and is w/o arrogance.......

someday the unenlightened will learn of lynch's brilliance

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02REGION 0 RELEASE

Sanctuary Visual Entertainment have announced a new two-disc special edition of David Lynch's Dune for release in the UK on April 5th. This Region 0 set will feature a new 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer (the 131-min theatrical cut), remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks, "Impressions of Dune" (an all-new 2003 retrospective documentary including interviews with Kyle MacLachlan, cinematographer Freddie Francis, Editor Antony Gibbs, Producer Raffaella De Laurentiis and more), a vintage BBC interview with author Frank Herbert, rare on-set footage featuring David Lynch and Frank Herbert, trailers and a 32-page booklet containing exclusive images and essays by Paul Sammon, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Retail is £19.99.

Hmmm...Digital Bits says it a Region 2 DVD:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

....actually this......isn't as bad as i thought....i have only watched  this about three times    ......and had hu-hum feelings about  Dune..i lied it morre because its Lynch  and i'm being honest.....if  was directed by someone else i would most likely say yeah it sucks but.......the other day i watched this film subtitled and for me it made the greatest difference b/c i could actually "understand" whats going on ........and for a film like this it helped my overall enjoyment .......i'm not saying this film is perfect by any means but it doesn't deserve the harsh treatment it received.......and still does....OnO..  :wink: .........but  i think  the films biggesdt problem is that its not long enough and the plot is scattere-shot......

SPOILERS.

...there is a montage of sorts in the film when the "ggod" guys are battling the evils ones and during these sences there is a voice over that explains events that takes place over years .......but the film doesn't actually even show them!!!.....it would help if these events were fleshed out......among other events....like i have said part of the films fault is that it lacks a  full complete plot narrative .....and it needs to be longer.....but i think thats an issue that concerns lynch not having final cut....there are some great stuff inthis film also....the FX are great......for that time......there montage scenes of Kyle's dream about the baby and spice and his palm are cool......and i actauly like the re-occuring score w/ the cheesy 80's guitar screaming......and jack nance and the fat floating guy, and lynch's cameo.......

modage

Speaking of rocket boys, after we posted the news of that Region 2 Dune: Special Edition yesterday (which, by the way, we hear may be coded Region 0 with video in PAL format). We've also learned from our readers of two more Region 2 DVD releases of the film. We're told that a 3-disc Dune Der Wüstenplanet: Paradise Edition is available in Germany (coded Region 2 and also in PAL format). This set contains the theatrical version in anamorphic widescreen on the first disc, the longer "Alan Smithee" TV version in full frame on the second disc, and a disc of extras that includes 2 trailers, The Making of Dune documentary, a photo gallery, cast & crew bios, "film script information", the Dune Themepark, Cooking with Spice and A-Z of Dune featurettes and an Atreides family tree. There's also another German edition called Dune Der Wüstenplanet: Perfect Collection, which contains 3 discs and a bonus soundtrack CD. It sucks, but you just know that I'm clearly going to have to buy Flash, and one or both of these Dune DVDs. Can anyone out there tell me what language the extras are in on the above discs, and if there are English subtitles? For more information on the Dune discs, visit this link at Dune Info.com.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

From The Digital Bits

Damn... here's a title we wish Universal would get around to releasing on DVD here in the States. You U.K. fans are in for a treat at least. Sanctuary Visual Entertainment is working on a Dune: Special Edition for release in Region 2 (PAL format) on April 5th. The disc will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, the 40-minute Impressions of Dune documentary, an interview with Frank Herbert, a vintage promo featurette, the theatrical trailer and a 32-page booklet. This is a nice release, and is certainly better than we have in Region 1, but it could still be better. Dune is a film that's in desperate dire need of a serious special edition release if ever there was one. Can you imagine if Universal let Criterion do a really nice multi-disc edition, like they did with Brazil? It could have the original theatrical edition, the 'Alan Smithee' television version and the original (and much longer) director's cut. Todd and I would pay a few nickels for that, I'll tell you. So too would a LOT of other fans out there.

What much longer director's cut are we talking about here?  Or is that a reference to the Brazil director's cut?

modage

saw Dune tonite for the first time, which ends my journey of catching up on all Lynch films.  and even with my newfound love/respect for him i just couldnt bring myself to like this one.  i struggled to figure out what the hell was going on through the whole thing adn really just couldnt have been less involved with the story and characters.  its too bad, it looked pretty cool, but the storytelling was just a mess.

after reading all these negative comments, it seems like all of you are unaware that Lynch wasn't given final cut.

Pubrick

it's basic knowledge, dude.
Quote from: luzafter reading all these negative comments, it seems like all of you are unaware that Lynch wasn't given final cut.
Quote from: freakerdudeHe did not get the final cut, a decision which he was not happy with.
not to mention the other two posts discussing a multi-disc edition with an "alan smithee" version and a director's cut. both of which imply knowledge of lynch's troubles with the original cut.

so i gotta say, after reading all ur comments, it seems like u hav a stick up ur ass.. and i can say this cos i've actually read all ur comments, i'm not just saying it without any basis.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02saw Dune tonite for the first time, which ends my journey of catching up on all Lynch films.  

just out of curiousity ..how would you rank them from best to worse???....

*RE: DUNE >you may find it easier to "grasp" if you subtitle the film...it worked for me...but it may not change your overall opinion of the film....... :(

MacGuffin

Dune Special Edition DVD Announced

On May 10, Dune: Extended Edition will be released in a metal snap case (SRP $27.98 ). Two versions of the film will be included... a 137-minute theatrical version, and the 177-minute extended edition. BOTH will be available in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen (which would mark the first time the extended edition was available in widescreen). The theatrical edition will feature both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, while the extended edition will be Dolby Digital 5.1 only. Extras will include never before seen "behind-the-scenes" footage, documentaries on the special effects, visual design and costumes, deleted scenes, original photographs and artwork from the set (newly resurrected from personal collections) and more.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks