best films about serial killers

Started by pete, January 24, 2004, 07:50:28 PM

pete

does anyone have any recommendation for serial killer movies?  I can think of Summer of Sam which really wasn't about the killer.  And Talented Mr. Ripley, which was pretty good.  And Silence of the Lamb, but nothing else off of this head.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

kotte

American Psycho...Great film!

Obvious choice maybe.

MacGuffin

Psycho
M
Peeping Tom
Se7en
Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
The Cell
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

In Cold Blood andDahmer (highly underrated IMHO) are definitely worth checking out.

Sleuth

I can recommend you DON'T see Gacy (aka The Crawl Space).  Although it was kind of funny seeing Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure kill people.
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SlorgI can recommend you DON'T see Gacy (aka The Crawl Space).  Although it was kind of funny seeing Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure kill people.

. always thought that francis chewed bubble gum exellent in pee wee....

Alethia

Quote from: MacGuffin

totally fucking agree

a weird movie about a serial killer with a smiliar title is something like "diary of a serial killer"....gary busey is in it and he's in drag for about the first fifteen minutes, its kinda funny......its such a weird movie tho, i only remember little bits but god i thought it was just...odd

billybrown

Quote from: MacGuffinPsycho
M
Peeping Tom
Se7en
The Cell

The Cell is beyond wretched, save for the music video visuals, J.Lo's big fat arse, and Vince Vaughn bumbling and stumbling through some of the worst dialogue in film history in every scene with J.LO and her big fat arse.

SoNowThen

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBADLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coup de Torchon
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

snaporaz

they've already been mentioned, but my picks would be psycho, henry: portrait of a serial killer, dahmer [i agree, underrated], and i guess the obligatory the silence of the lambs.

as for in cold blood, that was about two guys that murdered a family; they weren't serial killers. and the book is a millions times better. well, i guess most books are. and, jesus christ, has anyone here seen "nightstalker"? it's another newish serial killer movie about richard ramirez. it is probably the worst movie i have ever seen in my life. well, it's in the top five of shitty movies, that's for sure. well, actually, i only saw the first twenty minutes. it was so annoying i had to turn it off. and i never ever turn off a movie because it sucks. i may become uninterested, but never have i been annoyed by a movie that much. it's worse than gacy. http://imdb.com/title/tt0342835/

MacGuffin

Quote from: snaporazand, jesus christ, has anyone here seen "nightstalker"? it's another newish serial killer movie about richard ramirez.

I live about 2 blocks away from one of the houses where he killed an elderly couple. Scary times, it was like Summer Of Sam in that we had to make sure all the windows were closed and doors locked because we didn't know where he would strike next.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

snaporaz

Quote from: MacGuffinI live about 2 blocks away from one of the houses where he killed an elderly couple. Scary times, it was like Summer Of Sam in that we had to make sure all the windows were closed and doors locked because we didn't know where he would strike next.

you know what's kind of cool. i doubt anyone would believe this [i don't think i believe it either] but my ex-girlfriend told me her mother once dated ramirez's roommate back in the early eighties. and it sounds sort of believable because she's from el paso, and ramirez is from el paso. so, if that's true, hurrah!

Ghostboy

I like serial killer movies that make you think twice when you consider the fact that their subjects are serial killers. Badlands is a good example. Having just seen Monster, I'd say the same about that.

Peeping Tom and M are probably about as good as serial killer movies get. Also, Natural Born Killers must be mentioned, even though it's not really about serial killers.

classical gas

Quote from: Ghostboy
Peeping Tom and M are probably about as good as serial killer movies get. Also, Natural Born Killers must be mentioned, even though it's not really about serial killers.

Totally agree with this.  Natural Born Killers is like the flip side of the serial killer movie, sort of how we perceive them.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.