Dawn of the Dead and Irreversible

Started by SubstanceD, February 18, 2003, 04:13:26 PM

SubstanceD

Does anyone know any specifications on the Dawn of the Dead DVD they're planning on releasing this summer. That should be awesome.

Also, I was wondering if anybody knew if it is possible to find Irreversible on VCD anywhere?

Thanks alot.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SubstanceDDoes anyone know any specifications on the Dawn of the Dead DVD they're planning on releasing this summer.

DAWN OF THE DEAD - Fall/Winter 2003

George Romero's masterpiece is coming back to DVD in a big way.  Featuring newly re-mastered widescreen transfers (16x9 enhanced), new DTS & Dolby EX Surround Sound, all-new cast & crew interviews, all-new audio commentary tracks, trailers, poster & still galleries and more!  Available separately will be the original Theatrical Version and the Extended (Director's Cut) Version.  Also available will be a special multi-disc box set including an exclusive presentation of the ZOMBI version of the film from Europe.  Expect more announcements in the coming months, and please note all features at this point are tentative and subject to change. Closed Captioned for the Hearing Impaired.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SubstanceD

THAT's GONNA BE SWWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!! 8)
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

MacGuffin

I guess it would be if you didn't buy the other two releases:

Anchor Bay is doing with this film as it has been doing with Army Of Darkness (6 DVD versions) and Halloween (5 DVD versions).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

i know roger avary is doing a commentary for dawn

MacGuffin

Zack Snyder Directing Dawn of the Dead Remake

Strike Entertainment has set commercials wizard Zack Snyder to direct the remake of George Romero's horror classic Dawn of the Dead, digging up a June start date for the zombie redo, says Variety. The film is Strike's first go project since it struck a four-year production and co-financing deal at Universal, who will distribute the film in North America and most of the world.

James Gunn (Scooby-Doo) has scripted a reinvention of a 1979 film that cost $640,000 and became a highly profitable cult favorite. The film revolved around a swarm of slow-moving cannibalistic corpses who snack on the inhabitants of a shopping mall.

The contemporized version aims to place a greater emphasis on action and a young cast than the original, adds the trade. The film was Romero's sequel to the groundbreaking Night of the Living Dead.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Why don't they just rerelease dawn and put a techno track in the background whenever zombies show up.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Mark2003

Quote from: bonanzatazWhy don't they just rerelease dawn and put a techno track in the background whenever zombies show up.

lol, i can imagine the wandering zombies in the ice rink during the end credits with a thumping modern day techno tune in the background.

Ever since i've seen Dawn Of The Dead, that eerie mall tune has been stuck in my head for years.

Ernie

Why do I find myself actually wanting to see Irreversible? I guess I'm a whore for controversy...I don't know.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: ebeaman69Why do I find myself actually wanting to see Irreversible? I guess I'm a whore for controversy...I don't know.

i saw it last night. fucking horrible. a boring ,infintile attempt at a film. ive taken shits that have been more amusing.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: ebeaman69Why do I find myself actually wanting to see Irreversible? I guess I'm a whore for controversy...I don't know.

i saw it last night. fucking horrible. a boring ,infintile attempt at a film. ive took shits that have been more amusing.

Well, I liked it.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: cowboykurtis

i saw it last night. fucking horrible. a boring ,infintile attempt at a film. ive took shits that have been more amusing.

Well, I liked it.

what did you like about it...im curious.

Ghostboy

The movie doesn't work as a story, narrative or otherwise, and I don't think it was intended to -- what Noe does do is take our expectations of a linear storyline and uses them against us. Even 'Memento,' although it was played in reverse, followed the same structural path as any normal narrative. The reason I think Irreversible is brilliant was summed up in a review, the author of which I forget, that stated that the film is not about the narrative, but about you watching it. I think it's about your reaction to the events, and the way the sequencing manipulates your feelings about them. I tried to convey this in my own review on my website.

I think it's interesting that you think it's boring, though. My thoughts on the film may not be applicable if you found it easy to dismiss. I found the whole thing pretty riveting, and the ending/beginning was particularly shaking.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: GhostboyThe movie doesn't work as a story, narrative or otherwise, and I don't think it was intended to -- what Noe does do is take our expectations of a linear storyline and uses them against us. Even 'Memento,' although it was played in reverse, followed the same structural path as any normal narrative. The reason I think Irreversible is brilliant was summed up in a review, the author of which I forget, that stated that the film is not about the narrative, but about you watching it. I think it's about your reaction to the events, and the way the sequencing manipulates your feelings about them. I tried to convey this in my own review on my website.

I think it's interesting that you think it's boring, though. My thoughts on the film may not be applicable if you found it easy to dismiss. I found the whole thing pretty riveting, and the ending/beginning was particularly shaking.

the execution of having the camera shake and wander around aimlessly for the first 20 mintues of a film, doesn't show me anything brilliant. one can aruge all day that this was an attempt to confuse the audience or create a disorientating feeling or heighten this man's frenetic state of anger -- wonderful, thats psuedo intellectual hog wash. of course if you shake a fucking camera around for 20 mintues people are going to feel that. and if he feels he's assualting the audience and making them  conciously aware that they're indeed "viewing of a film", by ending a film with a strobe effect -- he should be working at a carnival -- theres no artistry or inventiveness behind it. i really dont like films that label themselves as brilliant, simply because they have an unortahdox approach. one of the easiest things to do is break conventions. however, working within conventions and still creating a breath of fresh air is another story. concerning my reaction to the events in the film -- i had none -- i wasnt disturbed or riveted or excited or moved. his filmmaking techniques almost forces you to be AWARE of his process. if you're aware that you're watching a movie, it is not possible to be affected. this guy's a gimick. anyone can shoot violent images of mayhem. however using violence to enhance the natural progression of a story  takes much more skill. i found him to be very irresponisble and infintile at his attempt to make a  film. he wasted 2 hrs of my life.

Ghostboy

Quote from: cowboykurtishis filmmaking techniques almost forces you to be AWARE of his process. if you're aware that you're watching a movie, it is not possible to be affected.

See, that's where I disagree. I was completely aware of the process the entire time, more so than usual, but the fact that I still got emotionally involved despite that was why it worked for me.