Just Withnail

Quote from: BB on April 17, 2013, 10:46:54 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on April 17, 2013, 02:23:28 PM
Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015

Ghostboy, you gotta stop 'em!!!

No way, GB, join them!

Seriously.

mogwai

Sounds okay but there will be too much exposure. But if Lars von Trier want to tackle a love story between Jabba and the Sarlacc pit I'd be very interested.

MacGuffin

J.J. Abrams talks Star Wars plans
"Honouring but not revering what came before"
Source: Total Film

J.J. Abrams has been determinedly coy about for Star Wars: Episode VII so far, but has given some impression of his plans for taking the sci-fi franchise forwards in a new interview.

"That thing is so massive and so important to so many people," says Abrams. "I know from seeing the first film when I was 11 what that felt like. I think the key in moving forward with something like this is in honouring but not revering what came before."

"There's that deep feeling of infinite possibilities that I think was the ultimate thing I thought when I first saw Star Wars which I would - and probably will - give my left arm to try and come close to again."

And with much of the shoot set to take place in England, Abrams will have to cope with a change in routine as well as the pressure of expectation.

"There was already a pre-arranged thing for them to be shooting in England which, really does make me insane," confesses the director. "I've never shot a movie outside the US or out of L.A."

"We are, most likely, if all goes ahead, going to be moving to London at the end of the year... There's a whole lot of stuff happening at home. It's not an easy thing."

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to arrive in cinemas in May 2015 
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

John Williams Confirmed to Score 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
The composer, who has scored all six of the George Lucas films, will return for the latest chapter in the sci-fi universe.
Source: THR

It's official: the latest chapter of Star Wars will be scored by John Williams.

The composer, who has crafted the score for all six titles in the space opera saga, was confirmed to be joining J.J. Abrams' Episode VII by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy on Saturday at a Star Wars fan event in Essen, Germany.

In April, Abrams had indicated that he wanted the composer to return to score his film, but cautioned that it was still in the "early days." The Star Wars website posted an interview (watch below) where Williams explains how he'll score the latest film.

"Of course, I haven't seen the script," the composer says in the clip. "The story is still unknown to me, the new story. But I can't imagine that there will not be some references to the existing stories that we know that would necessitate, and make appropriate, the use of some of the earlier themes."

The Episode VII script will be penned by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) and is set to hit theaters in 2015, with Episode VIII and IX scheduled in the years after. Original trilogy stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are expected to appear in the film. 

In addition, THR reported that Lawrence Kasdan, writer of Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg, who penned X-Men: Days of Future Past, are writing separate spinoff projects set in the Star Wars universe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

J.J. Abrams Hires 'Star Trek' Cinematographer to Shoot 'Star Wars: Episode VII' on 35MM Film
Source: Total Film

J.J. Abrams is beaming up Dan Mindel to a galaxy far, far away, as the "Star Trek" cinematographer revealed Thursday that he's been hired to shoot "Star Wars: Episode VII" -- on 35mm film, even -- for Disney and LucasFilm.

Kodak's Lorette Bayle asked Mindel about his involvement in the hush-hush project during an event at the ASC Club House that was attended by a writer for BobaFettFanClub.com, which first reported the news.

Mindel will shoot on 35mm film, and more specifically (since "Star Wars" fans are sticklers for details), on Kodak film stock 5219. The two most recent "Star Wars" prequels were shot on digital, which was still a fledgling technology when George Lucas chose to use it.

The cinematographer did not say whether Abrams intends to include his trademark lens flares in "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Mindel first worked with Abrams on "Mission: Impossible III" before reteaming with the director for "Star Trek" and this year's sequel "Star Trek Into Darkness." Disney has trusted him with its tentpole properties before, as Mindel also served as director of photography on "John Carter," which looked great despite losing millions of dollars for the studio.

Mindel recently shot Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" for director Marc Webb. He's repped by The Skouras Agency.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

J.J. Abrams wants 'Star Wars' sequel to feel real — EXCLUSIVE
Source: EW

What can Stars Wars fans expect from Episode VII?
Director J.J. Abrams says a key component will be a sense of authenticity.

We had the chance to ask Abrams a couple super quick Star Wars questions Thursday at his Bad Robot offices in Santa Monica while discussing his upcoming sci-fi action series Almost Human, which gets underway Nov. 4 on Fox. The famously secretive filmmaker has been very quiet about his plans for the legendary big screen franchise since he was announced as the film's director eight months ago. We keep hearing the stars from the original trilogy (Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill) are on board for Episode VII, which is expected to hit theaters 2015. We know there's other spin-offs in the works. And not a whole lot else. Since Abrams tends to avoid spilling story details or castings, we asked the following:

Which of the previous Star Wars films best exemplifies what you're aiming to do in terms of the spirit or tone of Episode VII?

"Impossible for me to say because it's going to be an evolving thing. I would say we are working really hard to make a movie that feels as emotional and authentic and exciting as possible. Whatever your favorite Star Wars movie is and how to compare it is really sort of subjective."

Media and fans have been offering you a ton of unsolicited advice about to how to approach the film. Is there any particular thing they've said that you've taken to heart?

"It's been nice see that how important it is and to be reminded how important it is to so many people. We all know that [creator George Lucas'] dream has become almost a religion to some people. I remember reading a thing somewhere, someone wrote about just wanting [the new film] to feel real; to feel authentic. I remember I felt that way when I was 11 years old when I saw the first one. As much of a fairy tale as it was, it felt real. And to me, that is exactly right."

So that's certainly an encouraging perspective for longtime fans who felt the franchise became less grounded and more artificial-feeling in the prequels. And though Abrams declined to cite a specific film in the first question, it's hard not to think from his second answer that he's aiming more toward fan favorites A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, which (along with, to some degree, Revenge of the Sith) were probably the most real-feeling of the saga. What do you think of Abrams' plan?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Wow. Ominous yes, but that is very impressive.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

socketlevel

this would take out a lot of the wooden staleness that the 2nd trilogy had, much more open to improve and unexpected natural movements. A very nice marriage of old and new.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Take Over Writing Duties on 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
Disney and Lucasfilm fill out the rest of the technical team behind the next installment of the franchise; actors still to be announced
Source: Variety

J.J. Abrams and "Star Wars" veteran Lawrence Kasdan have taken over screenwriting duties on "Star Wars: Episode VII," replacing "Toy Story 3″-scribe Michael Arndt, who was originally hired to pen the project.

"I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script," said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a 'Star Wars' story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."

Disney and Lucasfilm released the news on StarWars.com.

The companies announced Arndt (whose credits also include "Little Miss Sunshine") was hired on the project in November 2012, an announcement they also made on StarWars.com. To land the job, Arndt wrote a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film.

Shooting on "Episode VII" is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.

Kasdan had been serving as a consultant on the film, and has had a long relationship with Lucasfilm, having written the screenplays for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and co-written "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi."

The screenwriter was brought on last fall by George Lucas to write and produce future installments of the "Star Wars" saga. Simon Kinberg is also developing upcoming "Star Wars" pics to produce.

Disney and Lucasfilm added that location scouting, production design, casting, and costume design are already underway on "Episode VII" with Dan Mindel ("Mission: Impossible III," "Star Trek," "Star Trek Into Darkness") serving as director of photography; and Rick Carter ("Lincoln," "Avatar") and Darren Gilford ("Oblivion," "Tron: Legacy") as production designers.

Michael Kaplan ("Star Trek Into Darkness") serves as costume designer, while Chris Corbould ("Skyfall," "The Dark Knight Rises") will serve as special effects supervisor, with Roger Guyett ("Star Trek Into Darkness" and "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith") as visual effects supervisor at Industrial Light & Magic.

"Star Wars" franchise vet Ben Burtt returns as sound designer, with Gary Rydstrom ("Jurassic Park") tapped as re-recording mixer and Skywalker Sound's Matthew Wood ("Star Trek Into Darkness") as supervising sound editor.

Kennedy, Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper and Jason McGatlin serving as executive producers.

John Williams is returning to the series to score the soundtrack.

Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Episode 7 will be released on December 18, 2015.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

'Star Wars': Adam Driver to Play the Villain (EXCLUSIVE)
Adam Driver is ready to travel to a galaxy far, far, away.

Sources tell Variety that while no deal is done yet, the "Girls" actor is close to signing on to play the villain in J.J. Abrams' "Star Wars: Episode VII." Exact details are unknown, but the character is said to be in the vein of iconic "Star Wars" villain Darth Vader.

Driver, 30, is the first cast member to be revealed for Walt Disney Studios and Lucasfilm's highly-anticipated "Star Wars" installment, which will open in theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.

The big-budget tentpole, directed by J.J. Abrams, is scheduled to shoot at London's Pinewood Studios in April. Additional cast members will likely be announced in the next month.

"Star Wars: Episode VII" will continue the Jedi saga where "Return of the Jedi" left off.

Abrams is producing with Bryan Burk and Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy.

Driver's name had been rumored during the casting process, but in recent weeks, the Indiana native has become Disney and Lucasfilms' top choice to play the main villain.

The delay in making a decision was due to scheduling issues with "Star Wars" and his HBO show "Girls." Sources say it's not just Season 4 that was the hangup, but also future seasons, since future "Star Wars" installments could also coincide with upcoming seasons of the HBO Lena Dunham comedy.

Sources are now telling Variety that scheduling issues have been resolved and that a deal should be finalized in the coming days.

Abrams recently announced that the script he co-wrote with Lawrence Kasdan was finished and that they would begin zeroing in on casting decisions soon. Michael Arndt wrote the original draft, with Kasdan and Abrams taking over last fall.

Disney was also rumored to be looking at Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving for the villain role.

The studio had no comment on the cast.

While Driver has received acclaim for his role on "Girls," he has become more in demand for high-profile features lately. The actor is currently filming Warner Bros.' "Midnight Special" and is also attached to Martin Scorsese's "Silence" starring Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson. He is repped by Gersh and can currently be seen on the third season of "Girls" airing on HBO.

Disney has been quickly ramping up the "Star Wars" universe since buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion in October, 2012. In addition to the "Star Wars" films, the studio is developing theme park attractions, TV shows and an extensive line of merchandise.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Lottery

By the way, I totally like their casting (with no character context).