Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, January 15, 2004, 01:01:29 PM

modage

Quote from: 72teeth on January 26, 2013, 03:36:22 PM
but giddy at the idea of an Episode Faverau,
Ugh, why? Besides "Made," he's directed 1 good (not great) movie and that now seems almost by accident.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

The Iron Man's, man! Theyre fun, seriously...
and ill back Favereau any day of the week, he knows his shit, and his limitation.
I dont think he's out to make great great films, just fun ones. Zathura's fun.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

jenkins

excellent zathura bomb!

pretty good favreau defense. there's something sticky about abrams. he's always gotta insert some headache. he seems way more concerned about his own kooky riddles than like eternal human mysteries. if i could create a symbolic image for abrams it'd be a collared shirt with yellow sweat stains. favreau's so fuckit laid back, you gotta admit. he's a paper umbrella in a margarita.

and i just kinda feel like the world doesn't need to treat star wars more seriously than it already does.

but i'm conjecturing.

The Ultimate Badass

Disney buying the rights to Star Wars, I think, is a real crapshoot.  The one certainty is that they will milk the shit out this property. On one hand, lots of new Star Wars movies featuring lots of new interpretations could be pretty fantastic. This is assuming they let their artists and directors take risks. On the other hand, Disney has such an abysmal record revisiting it's own classic properties (Bambi 2, a half-dozen shitty Cinderella videos, etc.)  that one can only be skeptical. Pixar's downward trajectory is yet more evidence that being incorporated into the Disney Borg can be ruinous.

Fortunately, Lucas already ruined Star Wars, and this is where the hope of a willingness to take risks comes from. At this point, why not?

That said, I don't like a single thing JJ Abrahms has done directorially. His movies are slick but utterly forgettable. IMO, Cloverfield was his best effort, but that movie was so obsessed with own devices that it became annoying to watch.

I'm far more interested in Snyder's take on Star Wars.

polkablues

He produced Cloverfield, but he didn't direct it.  And sadly, the Snyder rumor has been debunked.  I agree that I would have been more intrigued by that one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ElPandaRoyal

Snyder? Seriously? That dude couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag. Abrams has limitations too, but I find him far more interesting as a director. The only good thing Snyder has made was his remake of Dawn of the Dead. Then, his budgets got bigger and his visual orgasms way too irritating. The last thing Star Wars needs is a CGI freak who treats movies like bigger versions of computer games.

I had a couple of dream directors to put their hands on the franchise: Spielberg, Fincher and Aronofsky could make very interesting stuff with it, I think. But if Disney wants to infuse their brand on the Star Wars series, I don't even think I'll care enough about all of this in the first place.
Si

RegularKarate

Yeah, I think Abrams is pretty perfect for a Star Wars movie.

You don't want a really visionary director for a movie like this. I like Abrams because he can match the tone without injecting too much of his own crap and I don't really care about anything original that he would have to put aside to direct this.

polkablues

I like Abrams, but he's low-risk/low-reward.  Zack Snyder increases your odds of ending up with a disaster, but it would be a fascinating disaster.

Maybe I want to see the whole thing blow up in our faces, I don't know.  The idea of a competent, well-made Star Wars movie bores me to tears.  I don't hold enough reverence for the very concept of Star Wars to be interested in the safe version of it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Disney Confirms Standalone STAR WARS Films
Source: Collider

We've got some Star Wars news to report on today.  We recently (and finally) learned that J.J. Abrams will be helming Star Wars: Episode VII, and today Disney CEO Bob Iger took part in a television appearance where he provided some updates on the studio's Star Wars franchise.  It was previously reported that screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg had been brought into the fold not only to work on this new trilogy, but also possibly on some standalone films centered around other characters in the Star Wars universe.  Iger confirmed today that that is indeed the case, as Disney is working on Star Wars films that are not a part of the overall saga.

Speaking on CNBC, Iger offered the following confirmation:

I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few standalone films, Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga. We still plan to make Star Wars 7, 8, and 9 roughly over a six-year period of time, starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period, too.

Late last night news broke that the first standalone Star Wars film might be centered around Yoda, but obviously Iger didn't address that rumor.  It is encouraging that Kasdan—who co-wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi—is involved in these other Star Wars films, but I for one am sincerely hoping that the Yoda rumor remains just a rumor.  Disney has a major opportunity to expand the Star Wars universe with new and interesting characters; we've gotten to know Yoda over five films already, so I'm eager to see something more fresh or exciting.

Iger also mentions the 2015 release date for Episode VII, even though Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy recently hinted that that release date might not be as firm.  Obviously the CEO of Disney wants new Star Wars movies to come out as soon as possible, but I imagine Abrams will be careful to ensure that he has enough time to make the best possible version of Episode VII.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tortuga

*crosses fingers*
holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2
holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2 holiday special 2

MacGuffin

Carrie Fisher says she's returning to Star Wars

There have been plenty of rumors about the original Star Wars cast returning for the Disney movies. And now it seems we have a confirmation straight from the Alderaan princess' mouth.

In an interview with Palm Beach Illustrated Carrie Fisher was asked point blank if she was returning to Star Wars and she answered quite frankly.

Disney is going to continue the Star Wars saga, producing movies set to hit theaters starting in 2015. Can you confirm whether you'll reprise the role of Princess Leia?

Yes.

What do you think Princess Leia is like today?

Elderly. She's in an intergalactic old folks' home [laughs]. I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle.

We all know anything can happen at this point, but that sounds a lot like a pretty solid confirmation.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015
Source: Collider

Get ready for a whole lot of Star Wars, folks.  Disney took the stage today for its presentation at CinemaCon—a convention for theater owners—in Las Vegas, and the studio made the bold announcement that it is planning on releasing a new Star Wars film into theaters every summer starting with 2015's Star Wars: Episode VII.  The studio will alternate every other year with an "Episode" film and a standalone film, and based on previous rumors there certainly won't be a lack of characters for them to mine.

Director J.J. Abrams is currently busy prepping Episode VII (and also preparing for the release of Star Trek Into Darkness), which will most likely see the return of original cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford.  While plot details on the new trilogy are mum, Disney confirmed that it was developing standalone Star Wars films back in February.  Though the studio has yet to reveal which characters those films would focus on, previous reports claim that films focusing on Yoda, Boba Fett, and a young Han Solo are in the works.

Screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) and Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class) were brought into the Disney/Lucasfilm fold early on in the Episode VII development process, and while we initially thought they would be working on the scripts for Episode VIII and IX, subsequent reports claimed that the two are also developing the standalone films as well.

If Disney is really serious about releasing one Star Wars film every year (which sounds dangerously close to overkill), it makes sense that Kasdan and Kinberg have been busy drumming up outlines for subsequent films.  Like Matt, I would much rather see standalone films about new characters in the Star Wars universe rather than prequels or spinoffs of characters from the original trilogy, but I'm interested to see what kinds of filmmakers the studio will rope in to bring these things to fruition.  Will they take the Marvel approach and mine the TV world for affordable directors that can carry out the studio's singular vision, or will they allow a bit more creative freedom within the world of Star Wars?

At this point, very little is certain, but with an indefinite amount of Star Wars movies on the way starting in just two years, expect to hear much more information sooner rather than later.  What do you think, readers?  Is a new Star Wars movie every year too much or do you think Disney can keep the quality up?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Well, someone wants to recoup their $4 billion as soon as possible, don't they?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Tictacbk

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 17, 2013, 02:23:28 PM
Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015

hopefully this is one of them:

Lottery

Oh dear, I love Star Wars but soon they'll have so much film content, it will start to feel like EU. And no decent, cultured, intelligent human being wants that.