HBO

Started by E-Snizz, December 15, 2003, 01:45:29 AM

modage

I'm talking about the quality of shows.  

HBO was a leader because they had great shows that were completely different from anything else on TV.  In the last decade the landscape of TV has changed.  I don't see what differentiates most HBO programming from what you would find on another channel anymore.  (Except for the things shallow things I mentioned).  What are your favorite shows?  How many of them are on HBO?  

I'm saying I don't think their programming is as strong as it has been in the past.  And that their brand doesn't mean as much as it used to.  Do you disagree?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I love treme.  it's on HBO.
but what you were saying before was that you wouldn't even give some of the shows a chance based on the premises - for example, boardwalk empire was a bust for you because the names involved were too big, but I'm not sure how different it is from curb, another high concept show.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

No, I'm giving Boardwalk a chance. I like it. It's got the most potential of any show in a long time. I've been thinking about that rant for over a year so I figured I had to get it out now before it got really great or something.

I think they knew they needed a hit that was also going to be critically well received. And to get it they relied on some of their worst tendencies: tweaking what worked before, and spending a lot of money on it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.