Truth

Started by molly, November 24, 2003, 06:46:47 PM

molly

Do you feel that on forums (this one and others) you can say what you really think, without being affraid that you're gonna hurt somebody's feelings? Do you feel that a person on the forum is your real personality?

You see, I have a theory that people on forums communicate only with their thoughts, there is no real name, no face, no body, no cloths and no reason to pretend, and, since it is not chat, you have the time to think and question your mind before you make a post. I found out A LOT about myself, and also it helped me a lot with some things I didn't like about myself. Now, don't think I'm proud about every post I ever made, but even those stupid ones helped me to understand myself and others better. I became more tolerant, and less speachless in unpleasant situations. I'm less affraid to say what I think, or to skip saying that if I estimate that it would be pointless or dangerous. And I feel more competent to make that estimation.

What about you?

kotte

Quote from: mollyNow, don't think I'm proud about every post I ever made, but even those stupid ones helped me to understand myself and others better. I became more tolerant,

Xixax -> world peace.  :)

I agree though...

aclockworkjj

Quote from: kotteXixax -> world peace.  :)
no shit.

this would be a great thread for idle chatter.  But molly, has it down, it's all what you get out of it.

MrBurgerKing

Hey molly, nice words, it reminds me of a homeless woman I seem to pass everyday. If we were on the internet, I'd pull a Sydney and buy her a cup of coffee, but that's not really possible, is it?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MrBurgerKingbut that's not really possible, is it?
you could buy her a coffee gift card, or sent her a bag of beans.  Sorta along the same lines...

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjthis would be a great thread for idle chatter.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhat thread in Idle Chatter even really means anything?

molly's thread is fine where it is.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

I think you missed the whole point. I was totally selfish when I was writing that post. I wrote about how forums helped ME, how they impreved ME, how they helped me to find a better way to function. And I think that world peace is just better, not more humanistic, altruistic or whatever. Being in war is a stress, not only "a bad thing". I mean, things are for reason called good or bad. You don't need 10 commands written on paper if you follow a rule not do do to others what you don't want the others to do to you. All those situations in 10 commands are very stressful, without their moralistic part.

Finn

Speaking of Sydney...

I had to turn in a short story for a class at one point. I basically did the story of Hard Eight only I changed and added a few things. The teacher and everyone else bought it and said it was original! :lol:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mollyME
so what else about that?.....favorite all time movie?  fav. color?...fav. food?  answer mac's 5 questions??  spill more beans...

Banky

Quote from: mollyDo you feel that on forums (this one and others) you can say what you really think, without being affraid that you're gonna hurt somebody's feelings? Do you feel that a person on the forum is your real personality?

You see, I have a theory that people on forums communicate only with their thoughts, there is no real name, no face, no body, no cloths and no reason to pretend, and, since it is not chat, you have the time to think and question your mind before you make a post. I found out A LOT about myself, and also it helped me a lot with some things I didn't like about myself. Now, don't think I'm proud about every post I ever made, but even those stupid ones helped me to understand myself and others better. I became more tolerant, and less speachless in unpleasant situations. I'm less affraid to say what I think, or to skip saying that if I estimate that it would be pointless or dangerous. And I feel more competent to make that estimation.

What about you?

totally agree and well said by the way

MacGuffin

Quote from: mollyDo you feel that on forums (this one and others) you can say what you really think, without being affraid that you're gonna hurt somebody's feelings? Do you feel that a person on the forum is your real personality?

What about you?

Since no one is offering, molly, and I think it took a lot to show a bit of yourself, I'll do something I don't normally like to do that is fitting for this thread, and that is reveal some things about myself.

I do feel this board allows me to think before I talk and edit myself; something I could never do in real life. I'm not a 'quick on my feet' person, so I feel here I can think clearly about what I want to say. It also does let me see what others think about me and my opinions; how I come across. So, in a way, I think my self-consciousness is evident to myself moreso here, but I also feel I can speak my mind more openly here than I feel I'm not able to do in in real life. As for not wanting to offend anybody, I do try to choose my words carefully. I know there are real people behind their own computer screens reading my words. I feel others here at times don't remember that, and I've never been a believer in the theory: "It's just a message board." Words, either positive or negative, do make an impact. There are people here that I wish I lived closer to, or vice versa, that I feel their personality does come across and I think they are people I wouldn't mind knowing 'off-screen'. There are people here I consider friends because I don't know anybody like them where I am; people I don't ever think I could ever approach to talk to in real life. For one example, I don't think budgie and I would have ever met and talked in 'the real world' the way we did here. So in that respect, I feel Xixax.com gives me more confidence in myself.

Now someone will probably post a joke underneath me and our words will lose their meaning.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

What about you?

This is absolutely right on. It's a great opportunity for anyone to have a forum where they have to articulate their thoughts/feelings into words. It helps you think more clearly, helps you realize what you actually do think, and helps you write. And if you can take that back out into the world with you, I think that's excellent.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffin"It's just a message board."
but is it anything to get all butt hurt over?

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin"It's just a message board." Words, either positive or negative, do make an impact.

i agree with that.  its kind of bizarre though that it is just a message board.  but regardless, whether on the computer or in person, when you're putting yourself out there you want to be accepted.  and regardless of the community, you dont want to be an outkast (hey ya), so its a little weird when i read a lot of the negativity here.  especially when it gets personal, like it tends to do sometimes in Idle Chatter.  as far as articulating, i'm probably one of the worst writers on this board, and i think in conversation i'm probably a lot better talking to than on here where my stream of conciousness posts are usually fragmented sentences and ideas.  some people on here, are very good at writing and i think that probably puts their points across a lot better than i can get mine across here.  (not that i actually ever have any point).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

Quote from: MacGuffin

What about you?

Since no one is offering, molly, and I think it took a lot to show a bit of yourself, I'll do something I don't normally like to do that is fitting for this thread, and that is reveal some things about myself.

I do feel this board allows me to think before I talk and edit myself; something I could never do in real life. I'm not a 'quick on my feet' person, so I feel here I can think clearly about what I want to say. It also does let me see what others think about me and my opinions; how I come across. So, in a way, I think my self-consciousness is evident to myself moreso here, but I also feel I can speak my mind more openly here than I feel I'm not able to do in in real life. As for not wanting to offend anybody, I do try to choose my words carefully. I know there are real people behind their own computer screens reading my words. I feel others here at times don't remember that, and I've never been a believer in the theory: "It's just a message board." Words, either positive or negative, do make an impact. There are people here that I wish I lived closer to, or vice versa, that I feel their personality does come across and I think they are people I wouldn't mind knowing 'off-screen'. There are people here I consider friends because I don't know anybody like them where I am; people I don't ever think I could ever approach to talk to in real life. For one example, I don't think budgie and I would have ever met and talked in 'the real world' the way we did here. So in that respect, I feel Xixax.com gives me more confidence in myself.

Now someone will probably post a joke underneath me and our words will lose their meaning.

Its good to here from you Mac.  yOu should write more personal posts more often.