ED WOOD DVD

Started by Alexandro, October 11, 2003, 12:13:58 PM

Raikus

Well, according to the digital representation of American consumerism (eBay) they are still going for $50+. Guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow and see if a big chain lets the DVD's fly. My money is on Wal-Mart or Spec's.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

fuck, my old friends new girlfriends suncoast sent them back.  looks like im shit out of luck.  i'll give tower records a shot tomorrow, but i doubt i'll find any.  and let me re-iterate i would be very grateful to anyone who can score an extra copy and paypal you back the money.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Source: The Digital Bits

Yet another Ed Wood update: we've now heard from a few Best Buy store managers, who tell us that they too have been told not to place copies of the Ed Wood: Special Edition on their shelves for sale later this morning. It seems that the circulars were printed weeks ago, prior to the recall going into effect. So while I suspect there will be retailers who missed the memo and start selling the disc tomorrow, you'll be hard pressed to find copies at Best Buy or any of the Musicland Group stores (Suncoast, Sam Goody, etc). In any case, if you're going out looking for it, good luck. And we'll post anything we heard from the studio as soon as it comes in.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Today, I went on a little hunt and obtained two copies of Ed Wood.  I haven't decided if I'm going to keep one for myself, but one, of course, I'd definitely sell.  I thought I'd give you fine Xixaxers first shot at it because I love you oh so very much*.  So PM me with your offers, and I'll probably sell one to the best offer within the next two or three days.  I might sell the second one here, too, if the price is right.  Otherwise, I'll keep it myself or put it on E-bay.

"Ed Wood?  Who wouldn't?!  I give it 83 stars.  Oh-ho-whoa-whoa-whoo!"
-Rex Reed, "The Critic"

*Ono receives money for his services and does not love any of you.  Well, maybe a little.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaToday, I went on a little hunt and obtained two copies of Ed Wood.

From what store? I tried Suncoast, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Wherehouse and Target. No such luck.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

ono, how about letting one go at cover price? :lol:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Borders.  They were on the cart, not yet put out on the shelf, and so I yanked 'em right when he showed me.  Guess they didn't get wind of the recall yet.  So I followed that lead, and went to Barnes and Noble, but they did know.  So did Circuit City.  Wal-Mart hadn't even heard of the DVD (or at least the guy working there didn't), and Best Buy hadn't any record of it, either.

modage

Okay... we've got another post coming later this afternoon. But in the interest of helping as many of you find copies of the Ed Wood: Special Edition as possible, without having to buy it on eBay for $100+ from would-be profiteers (which is just plain wrong), we wanted to update you on where readers are finding it. Supposedly, Borders has put it up for sale, along with many Costco locations (and probably other warehouse retailers as well). We've had readers tell us that a few Best Buys locations have also made it available for sale. Some Fred Meyer store locations apparently have it available, and many of those who were smart enough to pre-order the disc on Amazon are being told via e-mail that their discs have shipped. The message is that the disc is out there, and you should act fast if you want it.

Just FYI, Buena Vista has finally spoken on the record with Video Business, and claims that they're looking for a "better date to release the DVD". Given the amount of money the studio and retailers stand to lose by pulling the disc at the 11th hour, it stretches credibility to believe that's the only reason. We've now heard off the record from sources that the title was pulled over a rights issue regarding material that was included in the supplements. If that's true, it would mean that any future release will likely be altered in some way (some extras might be edited or dropped entirely from the disc). VB has also apparently heard a rumor that director Tim Burton wasn't happy with the extras. In any case, it seems likely that whatever the reason is, the disc will be released again in the future but not with the same bonus material. So use that information as you will.
------------------------------------------------------
anyone check Costco?  anyone have an extra for me?

cine

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI thought I'd give you fine Xixaxers first shot at it because I love you oh so very much*.  So PM me with your offers, and I'll probably sell one to the best offer within the next two or three days.
Why don't you just sell one on ebay and promote it to the Xixaxers and let them duke it out on there (with you putting a set bid requirement on)?

Reed Rothchild

When I read this I ran back out to Best Buy and got the last 2 :) So I have 2 extra copies. Send me a pm if you want one, Im not looking to turn profit so if you pay me for shipping and tax ill be happy ;)
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

Pozer

you dudes sure have a hard on for that DVD

Reed Rothchild

both mine are sold sorry guys :(
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

Weird. Oh

Even thought most of ya hate Blockbuster I know for a fact that they aren't off the shelf and there was no email telling us to. The store I work at had one at 29.99$. I would suggest calling up a BB. Its 10 dollars more than most places but if you really want it I would suggest it.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

ono

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI thought I'd give you fine Xixaxers first shot at it because I love you oh so very much*.  So PM me with your offers, and I'll probably sell one to the best offer within the next two or three days.
Why don't you just sell one on ebay and promote it to the Xixaxers and let them duke it out on there (with you putting a set bid requirement on)?
Well, I didn't get as much of a response as I was led to believe existed here.  Really surprising, as I thought I was doing something a lot of Xixaxers would appreciate (but thanks to those who did PM me with interest -- all two of you).  So, I went ahead and put it on e-bay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3384323375  Bidding starts at $24.99, which is more than fair.  So anyone who's interested can place a bid there, but I'll still take PM offers up to a point (I'm not sure if I can cancel the auction if I have bids on the item).

Pwaybloe

I checked my local Borders last night, and no luck.  

I also checked my local independent DVD store (who used to sell pre-released DVD's, but got busted), and no luck there either.  

Sorry, guys.