Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

GoneSavage

modage, when have they EVER shipped on Saturday?  I've never gotten that ever.  That would be glorious. 
I noticed the New Release thing a while ago so now for me Junebug for example sits at like 60.  I don't bother bumping anything unless it says available Now and even then (Carnivale Disc 1) keeps shifting. 

On a positive note, something very strange happened Monday.  Post offices are closed but I still drop off a movie at the P.O.   On Tuesday, Netflix had received that disc.  So the day the P.O. grabbed it, they delivered it as well, and Netflix processed it.  Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

matt35mm

I recall them shipping on Saturday, too.  That was a very long time ago, though.  That may have changed when they lowered their price.  It was definitely in the day when Netflix had no serious competitors.

Anyway, RE: the extra long shipping time for my most recent movie.  In addition to the President's Day thing, it was because it was shipped from Worcester, CA (it usually ships to me from San Jose, CA, which is near me).  They sent out two movies to me today, though, and the estimated arrival is back to one day.  I'm thinking perhaps just this movie was stocked only at the east coast facility.

Bethie

I signed back up just recently. Matt, I sent you an invite to be my friend. 

8)
who likes movies anyway

matt35mm

Quote from: Bethie on March 26, 2006, 02:07:37 AM
I signed back up just recently. Matt, I sent you an invite to be my friend. 

8)
And I accepted (after a while of scratching my head wondering who it was).  Thanks!

Bethie

haha. yeah, the real name thing is confusing.
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Judge Approves Netflix Settlement

SAN FRANCISCO - A judge has approved a class-action settlement requiring Netflix Inc. to offer a free month of DVDs to 5.5 million current and former subscribers, resolving a case that prompted the online rental service to acknowledge it gives preferential treatment to its most profitable customers.

The settlement, released Monday after being approved last Friday, had been delayed since late March when San Francisco Superior Court Judge Thomas Mellon Jr. balked at a proposal that would have guaranteed payments totaling $2.5 million to a handful of lawyers.

Under Mellon's final order, Netflix must pay $1.3 million to Adam Gutride and Seth Safier — the San Francisco attorneys who filed the suit in September 2004 — and another $60,000 to lawyers whose objections to an earlier agreement helped shape the final settlement.

Netflix expects to begin sending out notices of the final settlement later this month. The Los Gatos, Calif.-based company has estimated the total settlement costs at $8.95 million, but that figure assumes it will pay $2.5 million in attorney fees.

"We settled the case in the best interest of all parties," Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey said. The company isn't acknowledging any wrongdoing.

The case revolved around allegations that Netflix had been misleading subscribers about how quickly it delivered movies to subscribers until Jan 15, 2005 — the date that the company made a little-noticed change to its terms of use.

The revision disclosed for the first time that Netflix sometimes delays shipments to frequent renters so it can give higher priority to customers who keep their movies longer.

The practice, derided as "throttling" by its critics, helps boost Netflix's profits because the company charges a flat monthly fee and provides postage-paid envelopes for DVD returns.

The system means Netflix makes more money from infrequent renters and risks losing money on customers who return DVDs quickly so they can get the next movie on their online wish lists.

Most Netflix subscribers pay $17.99 per month to keep up to three DVDs at time. The system has been successful for Netflix so far, powering the company to a $42 million profit last year as it lures people away from conventional video store merchants like Blockbuster Inc.

Current Netflix customers with the $17.99 monthly plan will have the option to check out four DVDS at no additional charge, a $6 savings. About 3.7 million former subscribers will be offered a free month of the $17.99 rental plan.

Under an earlier version of the settlement reached six months ago, Netflix would have been able to automatically charge customers after the free month of DVDs.

The Federal Trade Commission criticized that arrangement as a promotional gimmick, prompting changes that prevent Netflix from extending the service without prior customer approval.

Nearly 420,000 people accepted the original settlement. Mellon's order allows Safier and Gutride to apply for an additional $1.1 million in fees if the revised settlement entices substantially more people to sign up for the free DVDs.

http://www.netflix.com/settlement
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Netflix is selling used DVDs for $5.99 each.  I looked through the selection; from the ten pages or so I browsed they were all recent movies, like '04 and '05, with some good stuff in there.  I'd buy some of the DVDs, except, well... I have Netflix.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

modage

actually thats misleading.  its starting at 5.99, but going up to 11.99.  most are 9.99 though.  i've gotten Oldboy and Millions and i rate it a  :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Netflix to screen movies on location

NEW YORK - Online movie rental service Netflix will screen 10 classics this August at locations made famous by the films.

"Field of Dreams" will be shown at the Dyersville, Iowa, baseball field surrounded by cornstalks. "Jaws" will be played at Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" will get a screening by the Cedar Lane Water Tower in Northbrook, Ill.

The "Netflix Rolling Roadshow" is a coast-to-coast promotional tour beginning Aug. 2 at Coney Island in New York, where the 1979 gang film "The Warriors" will be shown. Dates for the various screenings range throughout the month.

Other stops include Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colo., and the classic Western "The Searchers" at Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley, Utah.

Director Kevin Smith and cast members are expected to be on hand for a screening of "Clerks" at the Quick Stop in Leonardo, N.J. Other screenings will include activities related to the films, like raft floating in the ocean during "Jaws."

Also to be screened on location is the Coen brothers' "Raising Arizona" at the Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction, Ariz., "The Poseidon Adventure" on the H.M.S. Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif., and Clint Eastwood's "Escape From Alcatraz" on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

©brad

RegularKarate

These are actually the Alamo Drafthouse Rolling Roadshows.... they've been doing these for years. 
Netflix is just sponsoring them this year.

The ones they do here in Austin are awesome...they do Jaws a lot... usually they have people swimming around goosing people during the shark attack scenes.

when I first moved here, I knew it was going to be awesome because the roadshow was doing Goonies in a Cave.

modage

yeah thats awesome.  i should go see the warriors.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.