Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

RegularKarate

It's funny to me that everyone's being a baby because Netflix has grown and they can't afford to pay as much attention to the individual user as they did when it began when it's still clearly the best deal for renting movies right now.

ThurstonPowell

Did you tell your friend Bernice I'm some kind of jet pilot?

matt35mm

BY THE WAY, I'd like to have some Netflix friends to see people here are renting.  Might give me a few ideas for things to rent as well.  My e-mail address is matt35mm@yahoo.com.  Invite me, please!

Bethie

What was the deal with Netflix giving a free month away to members during a certain time frame? It confused me. I think I signed up for it, but now I have no idea. 

:saywhat:
who likes movies anyway

modage

okay i sent back all 4 of my movies the other day and netflix gets them today (tues) and i look to the top of my queue and all 4 (new/newer) releases have Long & Short Waits.  and that, as we know, is bullshit preferential treatment.   so i decided to clear out the rest of my queue.  so now either they're going to have to make me wait days till they come up with a copy or they're going to have to dig one up or i'm not really sure.  but that's why i'm trying it.  hopefully this will mean that even if i had to wait like 1 extra day for it to ship that Junebug, Hustle & Flow, Zathura and Saw II will be showing up at my place by Thursday or Friday.  and not like weeks from now.  so we'll see how this all shakes out.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Interesting experiment, Mod... let me know how it works out.

If it DOES... what you could do is how multiple queues... one for the longer waits and one just to have a longer queue... I'm always at the max queue size so I just would NOT want to delete it... how could I possibly remember what I had on there?

ThurstonPowell

Modage - I'm not sure your experiment will work how you think it might.  Under Netflix's current Terms, they ship certain movies at a certain speed depending on your rental activity.  Having more or fewer movies in your queue with particular wait times won't effect anything, I don't think.  So if you only have the four movies waiting in your queue, and you sent the previous movies all back at once, Netflix will still probably wait longer to ship the next movies, add extra shipping time, and ship from a farther-away distribution center.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. 

Another possible experiment - which I actually started doing today myself - is to send some movies back quickly and hold on to others and see if that effects which of the movies gets shipped next and how long it takes.  I had two movies arrive yesterday and one today.  At lunch today, I dropped one of the movies from yesterday and the movie from today (which I didn't really want to watch) in the mail.  I'll mail back the other movie on Friday.  So I'll see how that works out. 

The results I'm sure will alter the very fabric of the universe - or at least, the very fabric of Bloomington. 
Did you tell your friend Bernice I'm some kind of jet pilot?

w/o horse

Quote from: matt35mm on February 11, 2006, 10:59:48 PM
BY THE WAY, I'd like to have some Netflix friends to see people here are renting.  Might give me a few ideas for things to rent as well.  My e-mail address is matt35mm@yahoo.com.  Invite me, please!

Haha.  We're friends now and I just got this quiz about you:

QuoteHated Only One!
Correct Answer! Matthew hated 'Mortal Kombat: The Movie' and rated it 2 stars.

Gods and Monsters
   Mortal Kombat: The Movie
   Heist
   Ferris Bueller's Day Off
I've only been on Netflix for a month and a half and they've started to slow down my orders.  For no apparent reason one of my movies right now isn't shipping until tomorrow.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

matt35mm

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on February 14, 2006, 04:23:32 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on February 11, 2006, 10:59:48 PM

Haha.  We're friends now and I just got this quiz about you:

QuoteHated Only One!
Correct Answer! Matthew hated 'Mortal Kombat: The Movie' and rated it 2 stars.

Gods and Monsters
   Mortal Kombat: The Movie
   Heist
   Ferris Bueller's Day Off
I've only been on Netflix for a month and a half and they've started to slow down my orders.  For no apparent reason one of my movies right now isn't shipping until tomorrow.
Oh my God!  What was I thinking?  Mortal Kombat deserves 3 stars.  I must've rated that when I was going through my phase of worrying that certain movies weren't sophisticated enough for me to praise.  I haven't seen it since it came out in theaters, but I DID like it, and saw it twice.

Anyhow, yeah, Netflix has been delaying movies for a little while now.  But I'm entirely fine with that.  Getting a movie the next day is AMAZING, and getting is movie within 2 days is good.  So it still ranges from amazing to good, as far as I'm concerned.  I don't ever feel like I'm not getting what I paid for.  Again, my only real beef is that certain popular movies are unavailable to me, not the delays.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 14, 2006, 01:21:33 PM
Interesting experiment, Mod... let me know how it works out.
well it worked a little and didn't work a lot.  but whats worse is my service has gotten even WORSE.  okay so i'm on 4 films out at a time.  the timeline:

TUES 2/14
- they received 3 films from me
- i clear out my queue except for Junebug, Hustle & Flow, Saw II & Zathura which all have short waits except junebug which has a long wait
- they ship saw II and zathura which are both new releases that day

this far it's a success.  they shipped the two films i might not've gotten otherwise and if they can just send junebug or hustle in the next day or two this will have worked out well.

WED 2/15
- they receive the 4th film from me
- i receive Saw II & Zathura
- watch both
- all day it says Next Film "Shipping Today" until finally "Shipping Thursday"

THURS 2/16
- ship Saw II & Zathura
- all day still "Shipping Today" until finally "Shipping Friday"

FRI 2/17
- they receive Saw II & Zathura
- still no word on Junebug or Hustle i decide I can atleast add 2 films into my queue so they can ATLEAST ship those out today (it's still morning)
- add Naked & Days of Being Wild to queue, says "Shipping Today"
- "Shipping Today" becomes "Shipping Monday"!  FUUUUUCK  where the fuck did THAT come from?  they used to ship saturdays, so i dont know what the deal is.  several pissed off emails are sent

WEEKEND
- it's been too long.  i give up.  junebug has been reduced to a short wait but they still wont send them so i add handful of other films to my queue.  i'm paying to have NO movies out for a whole week now.

MON 2/20
- Naked, Days of Being Wild and two other films further down on my queue (not junebug or hustle) are shipped today.  supposed arrival dates are 2/22, 2/22, 2/23, 2/24.  FOUR FUCKING DAYS to ship one of them!?  they should all be here tomorrow, or if its a holiday today 22 at the latest.  so now it will have been 9 days without 2 films and about half that for the other two. 

EVALUATION
- i think i hate netflix.  it is more worthwhile for me to just go down the street and pay $3 for junebug or to wait it out until every goddamn new customer has seen it than to stop the flow of other films.  its like being raped by your best friend, you just never expected it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

This may have been a bad week to try that thing.  Well, it doesn't sound like it would have worked very well in any week, but this week especially.

My most recent movie shipped on 2/17 and the est. arrival date is 2/22.  So something odd is up this week.  An extra long pre-President's Day delay of some sort.  Although in my case it may have to do with the post office?  Since it's already shipped...  But anyway, even for the normal customer, there's this odd 5 day delay thing right now.  Perhaps 5 of your 9-day odyssey of pain may be attributed to that?

I dunno.  I'd say, yeah, if you have a decent rental place down the street, use it to rent the harder to rent movies like Junebug.  I use Netflix for a lot of the stuff I need to catch up on, and it works perfectly for that.  I'm not trying to make excuses for Netflix, though.  There's no doubt that it isn't as good as it used to be.  The unfortunate side-effect of a growing corporation, I guess.

Chrisdarko

On new Releases it is better just to go to the store and get them. But the thing that netflix does is they have movies that i can't rent anywhere else BUT an on-line service. That makes it worth it to me.

I know I can't run down down to the video store and pick up Naked. In fact if i asked for it the video clerk would think I was a pervert.

w/o horse

Matt every time I go to Netflix they give me a quiz about you and every time I get it right.

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

killafilm

I've been way slacking with Netflix since the Holidays and moving this past month.  On Tuesday last week I returned two flicks and on Thursday I had Carnal Knowledge and Chungking Express.  Seems good to me.