Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

analogzombie

I've begun to notice, since they lowered their prices, that my dvds take an extra day to get to me. It used to be that Netflix would send them on , say, monday, i would get them wednesday. now i get them thursday. not too bad though.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

RegularKarate

I have the luck of 2 day turnaround.

They have an office here in Austin... they get it at the PO box the day I mail them, they mail them the next day and I get them the day after that.

Pretty effin sweet.  Mail Monday, get 'em Wednesday.

Haven't noticed any difference since the price decrease... that's pure paranoia.

Dross

It's seemed slower to me too.

And goddamn do they need to take that green off the queue page.

RegularKarate

Of course it's slower right NOW.  It's holiday season, the mail is slower during the holidays.  Netflix has opened more offices, the business isn't getting slower, the mail is.

MacGuffin

Netflix Rolls Out 'Friends' Feature on Web Site

Netflix Inc on Thursday previewed a new Web feature that the online DVD rental company hopes will keep subscribers loyal as it works toward its pledge to reach 4 million subscribers by the end of 2005.

The free service, called "friends," allows subscribers to share their DVD picks with others who have Netflix accounts so that friends can monitor each other's movie habits.

Netflix rolled out a preview version of the service this week, and plans to launch "friends" for its 2.3 million subscribers in January, Netflix Chief Executive Reed Hastings told Reuters on Thursday.

"It allows our users to share and communicate and discover a love of movies," Hastings said. "We've only scratched the surface of how to use the Internet to enhance the movie experience."

Netflix, which pioneered online DVD rental and holds about 9 percent of the market, slashed its subscription price last month to fend off competition from Blockbuster Inc and Wal-Mart Stores Inc . Netflix officials said they were girding for a likely challenge from Amazon.com Inc .

In October, Netflix announced a costly plan that calls for the company to run at break-even and keep its prices low while spending more money to attract and keep subscribers.

The plan appears to be working. Netflix recently revised upward its fourth-quarter guidance for subscriber acquisitions by at least 150,000 to reflect strong growth and lower churn.

"Subscriber growth has exceeded our expectation," Hastings said. "What you will see over the next two years is innovation. We continue to blaze the path of how movies can be enjoyed."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

I canceled Netflix for a few months due to lack of funds and school. Only recently did I sign back up. Netflix makes me feel so cool. I remember first day in History of Film class the prof asked if anyone used Netflix. I was the only one that used it besides him. I was proud. I had him show me his queue once. haha. I had seen a lot of the films on his list.  

I've been carrying The Office season one dvd from Netflix in my purse.  8)  I don't want to send it back.
who likes movies anyway

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateOf course it's slower right NOW.  It's holiday season, the mail is slower during the holidays.  Netflix has opened more offices, the business isn't getting slower, the mail is.
I never got a DVD that was supposed to arrive on Tuesday. It's probably lost in the mail. (this would only be the second one ever, though)

Gamblour.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RegularKarateOf course it's slower right NOW.  It's holiday season, the mail is slower during the holidays.  Netflix has opened more offices, the business isn't getting slower, the mail is.
I never got a DVD that was supposed to arrive on Tuesday. It's probably lost in the mail. (this would only be the second one ever, though)

If I recall, only one dvd got lost. And if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was a disc from 24 season 2. It took past 5 days for it to get to me, so I reported lost and ended up getting the 'lost' disc and the replacement  :| . The postal service is the worst part of Netflix, especially Atlanta's.
WWPTAD?

GoneSavage

That's what you get for not getting your mail carrier a Christmas present last year.

RegularKarate

I've actually had two movies lost in the mail now... very unfortunate, but they're pretty cool about it.

Two isn't bad for three years though.

Rudie Obias

i just signed up for netflix and i hope it goes well.  and if it doesn't there will be hell to pay!!  *shakes fists*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Bethie

I got this email the other day:

QuoteToday we're excited to announce Netflix Friends. With Netflix Friends you can see what your friends are watching and share your favorite movies with them.

To get started:
1. Click on the Friends tab
2. Create a list of friends who use Netflix
3. Share movie suggestions and ratings with your friends

Thank you for being a member of Netflix. We hope you enjoy sharing movie suggestions with your friends.

-Your Friends at Netflix

and then on Netflix:

QuoteCommonly asked questions about friends

Do my Friends need to be Netflix members?
Yes.

If I change my mind later, can I turn Friends off?
Yes, you can remove Friends at any time.

Will my Friends see my ratings?
Yes. Both you and your Friends will see how one another rated movies

Can I hide certain movies from Friends?
If you don't rate a movie your friends won't see it.

Can anyone other than my Friends see my ratings?
No. Only the people you've invited to join your Friends List can see your ratings.

I know its not a big deal or anything and kind of lame, but would any of you care to be "friends?"
who likes movies anyway

ono

Sure, why not.  I'd rather not post my e-mail address here.  I get enough spam as it is.  You have a PM, Bethie.  Anyone else, PM me with your e-mail address, if you want me to add you.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

cine