Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

Stefen

I'm doing the free Hulu Plus trial for a month on XBox LIVE. it's pretty neat so far. I don't have cable, so it's nice to be able to watch things like The Daily Show and Colbert Report.

But man, there are so many ads. You would think that if you're paying for it, it wouldn't be ad supported, but that's not the case. Luckily with the Criterion films it only has a commercial at the beginning and nothing during the film, but still, it's kind of a drag. Also something that kind of sucks is they don't have the directors in the descriptions of the films, which I think is unacceptable.

It's nice to use it on XBox, tho, instead of having to watch on my PC. Not sure if I'm going to shell out the $8 a month for it yet. There's way too much junk I couldn't care less about on there. We'll see.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Streamed The Pleasure of Being Robbed last night.  What an amazing movie.  Sometimes when I watch a movie and have a real connection with it I can feel like all the other movies I watch are products of impatience while I wait for another movie to love.  On a real for me but ultimately subjective level The Pleasure of Being Robbed is worth one hundred Tremors 2:  Aftershocks, is what I'm saying, because Pleasure's riches connect me with the treasures of my own existence and illuminate my relationship with cinema and cinema's relationship with reality.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

picolas

http://instantwatcher.com/upcoming_titles

is there a website like this for canadian netflix? something with a list of all titles and upcoming releases?

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Netflix streaming has altered my viewing habits.  I'm more inclined to watch something I wouldn't go out of the way or pay to see.  Last night's double feature of Tales from the Hood and Adam Rifkin's The Chase being a perfect example.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

squints

oh i love tales from the hood, growing up i watched that all the time...seeing it on Netflix brought back some memories.

I saw Bebe's Kids was on there last night. Had to watch that immediately. "We don't die we multiply!"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

I spend more time looking for something to watch than I do actually watching.

"Oh, that looks good! Not in the mood, tho. Oh, how about this one? Heard good things! Not now. Save that one for later. They made a sequel to this?! AWESOME. Gotta see the first one first, tho. Let's see what they have in documentaries..."

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I usually go through and open new tabs for each movie I think I might want to watch.  By the time I'm done I have twenty open tabs, no idea which to choose, and it's too late and I have to go to bed anyway.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: squints on May 30, 2011, 04:19:47 PM
I saw Bebe's Kids was on there ... Had to watch that immediately.

Me too!

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

These are the last days for instant streaming of André De Toth's The Bounty Hunter with Randolph Scott.  It's up until the 6th, only on streaming and doesn't have a region 1 dvd.  Watched it last night and it's recommended.  Riding Shotgun also ends on the 6th and isn't on dvd.

Stefen

^It's also one of the first 3D movies. NO LIE.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: polkablues on May 30, 2011, 05:16:56 PM
I usually go through and open new tabs for each movie I think I might want to watch.  By the time I'm done I have twenty open tabs, no idea which to choose, and it's too late and I have to go to bed anyway.
http://www.whatmovieshouldiwatchtonight.com
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sleepless

I love that there's a scary shit category. Cool idea. They need to do an app.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

The picture of 8 Sampsonia Way on Google Maps was when I first heard about LARPing.  Its existence made complete sense to me.  Then I encountered it in The Wild Hunt, the insane Canadian movie wherein the game becomes real life.  The movie introduced me to the structure of LARP performances, and I first heard LARP talk.

The documentary Monster Camp, streaming on Netflix, examines a chapter of the game in Seattle.  Monster Camp is actually one of two LARP documentaries streaming on Netflix (the other is Darkon).  I like that they're both classified as Genres:  Documentary | Fantasy on IMDb, and I really like the message board discussions of them, especially this post.  To quote from it:

"Anyway, my opinion on LARPing:
I personally think it's a lot of fun, because I think of it as interactive improvisational theatre. You've got a costume, you've got a character and a setting, and everyone is contributing to a story and trying to make it as interesting as possible. =) However, I think it crosses the line when it becomes escapsim, or a sort of self-medication. If you seriously wish and desperately pretend to be your character, then there are almost certainly some real-world issues that are in need of remedy. But, as long as you're doing is as a fun aspect of life as opposed to a replacement, it's awesome. =) Just keep it healthy."

There are captivating dimensions to the game, and many of them are well-explored in Monster Camp.  I think the concept of two people in LARP costumes fucking is rather interesting, just like I think furry sex is interesting.  I first learned about furries from the MTV documentary Plushies & Furries, and then later met the director Rick Castro.  He owns a fetish gallery in Los Angeles, the Antebellum.  Two of the LARPers in Monster Camp have not successfully graduated from high school yet, although they're into their 20s, and if I understood correctly one of them still attends high school.  It's his fifth year being a senior.  It must be night school by now right?  I probably don't have to tell you that some of them, including these two, play too many videogames.  Some of them are parents, and some parents bring their kids.

Stefen

The new Netflix site overhaul is awful. Just plain awful and clunky and difficult and stupid to navigate.

I don't know what they did but everything they recommend to me makes no sense.

What's British about Let Me In and Full Metal Jacket?

Some of the stuff they used to recommend would make me scratch my head, but it's really bad now.

Pozer

Quote from: S.R. on July 06, 2011, 09:28:13 PM

Harry Brown shouted Britishly to Mr. Bean, "Let me in, we're going before the dinosaurs! Walking with monsters can be more dangerous than black death so bring along your full metal jacket!"

i'd let you do mine but i recently canceled my Netflix.