Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

Pas

Quote from: pookiethecat
i called this one store- the only one that said "independent movies" and asked him if they had foreign films. "foreign what?!" was my first indication that this guy knew jack.  "nope we don't got those..."  

Hahahaha ! Did you laugh at his face (well, at his phone face) ?

pookiethecat

he was one of those surly video clerk assholes.  i couldn't laugh.  i felt incensed.   :evil:
i wanna lick 'em.

Bethie

Hey, I got this e-mail from Netflix:

For a limited time, we're offering our valued members a special opportunity to give your friends and family one month of free Netflix service; that's twice the length of our regular free trial! Just forward this e-mail to your friends and family and they can enjoy a month of DVD rentals for free. This special offer expires 9/20/2004 so pass this on soon!

-Your Friends at Netflix

When I first read that I thought it meant I could send the link to ONE PERSON. Now that I just read it again...I see that it doesn't mean that. I know most of you here use Netflix, but is there anyone here that doesn't use it and wants to try it?

This offer expires soon, so let me know. Give me your e-mail address and I'll send you the link right away.

I'll be back here tonight to see if any of you want to take me up on this offer.
who likes movies anyway

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

hedwig

Bethie

Hm. I find you to be annoying.

But I sent you the link anyway.

I'm so nice.
who likes movies anyway

hedwig

GoneSavage

I never liked renting movies since my old indie store went under.  Plus I got a job and made money so I could just buy most of what I wanted.  I recently joined Netflix to replace cable TV.  I watch a movie a night instead of wasting money on cable.  It's good for filling in holes that you wouldn't get around to buying.

As long as you watch movies frequently, it is worth it.  Also make sure to keep on top of sending everything back.  There is a lag between sending and receiving a new one.  As long as you keep on track, it is WELL worth it, and less than half the price of cable TV.  I started at the 3 disc level and am up to the 5 disc because sometimes I'd be left with weekend without anything because they were in transit.

edit:  I just realized I gave advice to someone who posed the question a year ago.  I apologize to the moderators.

Jeremy Blackman

Dear Neflix,

Please stop recommending me movies that I've rated, and please stop putting little shooting starts next to titles in my Queue that you've oh so wisely recommended.

Thank you.

meatball

Quote from: BethieHm. I find you to be annoying.

But I sent you the link anyway.

I'm so nice.

Quote from: HedwigThank you

Hmm. At least people on Xixax are honest.

I don't think I'll ever sign up for Netflix. It's too much of a commitment. I need the cheap thrills of randomly picking up a dvd at my local blockbuster rental store, taking it home and having my way with it.  :twisted:

MacGuffin

Blockbuster to Cut Price for Online DVD Rentals

Video retailer Blockbuster Inc. on Friday said it will lower the price of its online DVD rental service by 12.5 percent, undercutting a price cut launched by rival Netflix Inc. a day earlier.

Blockbuster Chief Executive John Antioco told Reuters the price cut for a monthly online subscription to $17.49 from $19.99 would become effective "the week after next." He said the move was in response to Netflix's announcement it would reduce its monthly online subscription fee to $17.99 from $21.99.

"We were growing our business at a very nice clip, but would not have elected to lower our prices. Having said that, we are determined that we are not going to be beaten from a price/value perspective," Antioco said.

Blockbuster, which operates nearly 9,000 retail stores worldwide, launched its online business in August. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. also has entered the arena, and on Thursday Netflix said it sees Amazon.com Inc entering too.

Amazon.com said it had been encouraged by customers to offer online DVD rentals but had nothing to announce.

Antioco said Blockbuster "takes all competition seriously" and said the company would offer a number of new in-store and online promotions such as free movie and video game rentals to further entice customers to stay with Blockbuster.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

a related note:
in case anyone is considering blockbuster's free trial:
i recieved two in two weeks, they shipped them a day after registration, i recieved them a little less than a week later, shipped them the next day, and they recieved them the day before my trial ran out. a week after cancelling, i noticed on my account balance three transactions of $21.79 for BLOCKBUSTERDVD, and an email saying that i had three dvds that i had not returned, ones that i was never sent, and also that i had never queued. it was relatively simple to resolve, i called and was put on hold for approximately 20 minutes, and the gentleman was apologetic and fixed everything.

also: someone mentioned the possibility of account highjacktion and i checked, it was not.

Jeremy Blackman

My God, that's exactly like a phone company scam. They regularly overbill and only fix it for the people who have enough time and patience to fight it. Is there evidence that they're doing this on a larger scale, or are they just working out bugs?

Jeremy Blackman

I got this email...

Over the last five years, we've grown the Netflix community to over 2.2 million satisfied members.  We appreciate your business, and our goal has always been to provide you great service.

Since our price increase in June, some of our members have expressed concerns about the new pricing.  We've listened to this feedback and are pleased to inform you that we're lowering the price of your Netflix 3-at-a-time program from $21.99 per month to
17.99 per month.

You don't need to do anything. Your membership will automatically move to the lower 17.99 price.  The lower price will appear on your next bill on or after November 1, 2004.  You will still get the same great service and convenience, but now you will pay less for it.  So please sit back, relax and enjoy your movies!

-Your Friends at Netflix[/list:u]