Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

hedwig

i've just witnessed a sneak preview of my nightmares for this evening. thanks.

Neil

Quote from: polkablues on October 01, 2009, 09:11:39 PM
http://www.netflix.com/wizardofoz/ozyourself/

In commemoration of the new Wizard of Oz release, Netflix has a fun little web app that lets you upload a photo and replace the scarecrow's face with your own (or whoever the hell you want, I suppose) for like a 30 second clip from the movie.  It's actually pretty cool, and one of the more impressive uses of the "insert your face into a video" technology, though I can't shake the sense that it kind of looks like the scarecrow has murdered you and is wearing your face as a skin-mask.  On that note, have fun!  And if anyone finds a way to save the videos to your computer, let me know.

isn't there a program where you just adjust the size of a box over whatever you want to capture, and it does it?

I've seen people a few friends use it on this site called www.stickam.com....i'll look into it, i probably sound like an idiot, but what's new?

I know this software exists,

EDIT: found

IshowU for mac though, you can get a trial version for free and pirate bay a pass etc...
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

Only for macs.  Lame.  Well, I'm sure there's a Windows alternative out there somewhere.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

I decided to get a Netflix account. I was using my moms account to stream shit but now my buddy got an XBox, so I set up Netflix streaming on his like I have on mine and saw that his selection was fucking awesome compared to mine. Apparently, it gives you instant stream based on your tastes. I was getting my mom's taste, which sucks. I decided to just open my own account so I can get good streaming flicks and to rent flicks I can't find good rips of (seriously, it's tough as shit to find a good rip to any 70's movies. Has anyone seen a good rip for Badlands? It's like the holy grail).
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

So does netflix really send movies out slow if you send them back quickly?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Yes, for more popular titles, you'll have to wait longer (called "throttling").  There's some webpage explaining the phenomenon.  Here's one of the first I turned up:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/netflix_penalizing_frequent_renters_with_throttling/

That article is, of course, from 2006, so there's no telling how much it's changed since then (probably even more, since the service has grown).

And the site that did the original study:

http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on October 15, 2009, 05:43:07 PM
So does netflix really send movies out slow if you send them back quickly?

I've heard that, but don't think it's true.
I watch almost everything instant lately, but a year or so ago, I went through them super fast and they always came back within a couple days (a day there and a day back).

Stefen

I don't plan to rent popular stuff because I just download the big movies and stream them, but do you think they'll throttle some of the foreign and arthouse/indie stuff I'm getting? I've only had Netflix for a week and already on my third go-around.

ono

A friend who uses Netflix to stream movies like you told me: "not a delay because of usage but sometimes it has to rebuffer due to net speeds" and "at least one movie a day; on days when I'm working from home could be four a day".  And she generally watches horror flicks, some more popular than others.

Stefen

I've been streaming to my XBox 360 using my moms account since last November and I've never had problems. Only time it buffers is when I'm downloading something or a podcast is dling unbeknownst to me. Otherwise, it works fine. I just wish the selection was better. Same 500-600 movies everyday, it seems.

JG

just got netflix back for the first time in two years.

for petes sake

So has anyone else noticed the community section of Netflix has disappeared?  This makes me sad, as I like to think my friends care about what I rated LAND OF THE LOST.

modage

I was looking for it today actually for the first time in forever and I had to go to the Help section to try to find instructions on how to get there.

(There is actually still a FRIENDS link at the bottom of the site though.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

I bought a Roku, but if it sucks I'm returning it. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Netflix online streaming introduced me to a whole new world of shit films.:) It's been getting better though... Still, i put netflix on hold every three months consecutively while rating as many films as i can so that my recommendations are somewhat relevant. Usually i go find what i want there and use Vuze to download it.
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)