Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

Stefen

So XBox 360 just gave an update where you can watch tons of movies on demand (instead of having to queue them up on your computer first) and do it in parties. I think it's time we all get together and make a PDL, Magnolia and TWBB commentary track.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

I'd be heavily interested in something like that. Gotta get an x box first
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

When will we be able to stream Netflix in HD?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on August 11, 2009, 11:20:33 AM
When will we be able to stream Netflix in HD?

you mean on the X-box?

I have the Roku and there are a good number of HD streams.  Just watched Chocolate last night in HD... looked pretty good.

Comes with an Amazon channel too, which is cool because you can watch some pre-theatrical releases in HD (though that gets pricey).

modage

i stream it from my computer and have an hdmi that connects to my tv but it's like sub-vhs quality when you blow it up to 40".  is it better on the Roku?  i didn't think the HD was an option.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

So i just got netflix.
Current queue:
1. Murder, My Sweet
2. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
3. Altered States
4. Missing
5. Shampoo
6. Melvin and Howard
7. Putney Swope
8. Schizopolis!
9. DiG!
10. Duel

all movies (aside from murder my sweet) that i've never seen or haven't seen in ages.

I really wanna see all of Hal Ashby's stuff but they didn't have The Landlord. Basterds!!!
Any suggestions?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

Netflix makes a fortune off of me. I almost never turn my DVD's over quickly, and yet I won't get rid of the service. Streaming stuff from Netflix = no cable. The video quality kinda sucks though.

Discreet charm and Schizopolis are two of my favorite movies. Just watched Schizopolis again last night with my girlfriend who hates her copy writing job.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

RegularKarate

Yeah, I rarely watch the discs... have gone pretty exclusively instant streaming.

Quote from: Reinhold on September 07, 2009, 08:18:09 AM
The video quality kinda sucks though.

Really?  What device are you using?  The old encodes were kinda crummy and all of the Starz stuff is sub-par compared to the rest, but everything else has been pretty good and the HD stuff (including LOST!) looks fucking great.

modage

i called netflix and it doesn't look like HD streaming to online is happening soon (though i'm sure it will eventually) so i'm really considering getting a roku player.  is it worth it?  currently plugging my imac into my tv the netflix is sub-vhs quality because it's not hd so when it gets blown up that big it looks like crap.  i wouldn't want to bother with this if the quality werent going to be good but it could be worth it. 

thoughts?  rk?  anyone?

pete

I saw roku two years ago so maybe it's advanced in leaps and bounds since then, but Roku doesn't seem to really aid your connection speed all that much - meaning if you had a slow connection (which warrants a lower-quality image) on your computer, chances are roku wouldn't do better.  this was 2 years ago though, so maybe now there is a box that can physically accelerate your internet speed.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

Quote from: Reinhold on September 07, 2009, 08:18:09 AM
Netflix makes a fortune off of me. I almost never turn my DVD's over quickly, and yet I won't get rid of the service.

same here. I never even remember I have netflix until I see my bank account statements. wonder where those dvds are.
who likes movies anyway

RegularKarate

Mod, do you get a good connection speed to Netflix?  If so, that's what's important.

Roku doesn't help the connection speed, it just processes the stream directly for the television.
It's only 99 bucks and I'd say it's been worth it, but on the other hand, they're kind of testing the waters with a lot of stuff so some of the updates cause connection speed issues with some people.  I go up and down (and get a little obsessed with fixing it), but most of the time it's up and when it is, it's great.

Netflix also has connection through X-box and some Tivos and now TVs and bluray players so if you wait around, you might end up with a device that also happens to stream NetFlix.

The nice thing about the Roku is that it's going beyond just Netflix.  Right now you can watch Amazon Video (in HD) if you can stand paying that much.  The only plus I see with the Amazon right now is that it's got 5.1 sound and a little higher quality HD streams, but it's pretty pricey... oh, and they have simu-releases... Girlfriend experience came out on Amazon before it hit theaters.

They also have MLB.com (I don't give a shit about baseball) and are supposed to be adding a good deal more channels before the end of the year.

MacGuffin

Netflix awards $1M prize to improve movie picks

NEW YORK – Netflix Inc. declared a seven-member group of researchers, scientists and engineers from around the world as winners Monday of its three-year, $1 million contest to improve its movie recommendation system by at least 10 percent.

It was a close call, but BellKor's Pragmatic Chaos narrowly beat out a rival group called the Ensemble for the Netflix Prize, the Los Gatos, Calif.-based company said at an awards ceremony in New York.

For those more excited by algorithms than touchdowns, following the Netflix Prize has been like the Super Bowl. And the winning method could have implications well beyond Netflix recommendations; any business that uses people's preferences to sell products could learn from the exercise.

Tens of thousands of people have pored over the problem since the contest began in October 2006. At last count, there were more than 51,000 contestants from 186 countries.

In the end, one-time rivals joined forces to form the two remaining powerhouses, BellKor and Ensemble.

"We had a bona fide race right to the very end," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a statement. "Teams that had previously battled it out independently joined forces to surpass the 10 percent barrier. New submissions arrived fast and furious in the closing hours."

The winning team consists of two researchers at AT&T Inc., two engineers from Montreal, a research scientist at Yahoo Inc. and two machine-learning researchers from Austria. Netflix said all seven met in person as a group for the first time Monday.

BellKor in June became the first team to cross the 10 percent threshold. That kicked off a 30-day period during which other contestants could try to beat them. The Ensemble submitted its solution in late July, with just a few minutes to spare before the deadline.

According to Netflix's prize leaderboard, the Ensemble improved predictions for what movies people will like by 10.1 percent, while BellKor had improved predictions by 10.09 percent.

But Netflix actually had another set of data, visible only to Netflix. That one showed a 10.6 percent improvement by both teams. BellKor won because it submitted its final entry about 10 minutes before Ensemble.

Netflix is now planning a second contest — a sequel, if you will. While the first contest required contestants to improve predictions for subscribers who regularly provide ratings on movies they've watched, the second will involve those who don't rate movies often or at all.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

http://www.netflix.com/wizardofoz/ozyourself/

In commemoration of the new Wizard of Oz release, Netflix has a fun little web app that lets you upload a photo and replace the scarecrow's face with your own (or whoever the hell you want, I suppose) for like a 30 second clip from the movie.  It's actually pretty cool, and one of the more impressive uses of the "insert your face into a video" technology, though I can't shake the sense that it kind of looks like the scarecrow has murdered you and is wearing your face as a skin-mask.  On that note, have fun!  And if anyone finds a way to save the videos to your computer, let me know.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate