Long shot on Mark Wahlberg

Started by Spike, September 10, 2003, 03:08:28 PM

Spike

Does anyone know the significance of the scene in "Boogie Nights" with this extremely long close-up shot of Mark Wahlbergs face in "Boogie Nights"? What wanted PTA show us with this shot?
The madness of Rahad Jackson? Dirk Digglers kind of "fascination" for Jackson?

My theory would be that in this point his whole career passes his mind and he recognizes where he stands know - in a completely fucked up shithole.

If that's true, it's a really great directed.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

prophet

PTA talked about it on the DVD. He said it was because he didnt want to cut in the middle of a bridge in Jessie's Girl.

hes saying to himself WTF did i do to be in this situation, watching this cranked out guy.
I also want to point out, does anyone notice how Rahad hugs Cosmo and gives him a pat on the ass, maybe hes gay, why would he be going to "Party Boys" to watch Todd??
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Find Your Magali

I took it as a somewhat terrified Dirk needing forever to get up his nerve to stand up and say it was time for them to leave.

prophet

yeahhh hes thinking about what he should say and if jackson will get sus..susp...spusific. suspicious .
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Alethia

Quote from: prophetPTA talked about it on the DVD. He said it was because he didnt want to cut in the middle of a bridge in Jessie's Girl.

hes saying to himself WTF did i do to be in this situation, watching this cranked out guy.
I also want to point out, does anyone notice how Rahad hugs Cosmo and gives him a pat on the ass, maybe hes gay, why would he be going to "Party Boys" to watch Todd??

the script describes cosmo as this boy hooker type guy

prophet

Also i get the idea that Scottie J is homo when he looks at Dirk for the first time at the party. He also kisses him on new years eve.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I think it's because Dirk was so damned stupid thanks to the coke's long-term effects that it took him a long time to make any sort of move. It's like a messy epiphany. "SNAP!-change what situation you're in RIGHT now, things are sucking and are gonna git wurse soon" [I take it Dirk's brain can't spell to well, but that can be argued]

Weak2ndAct

Glad someone brought this up.  It's probably my favorite moment in the movie.  Like said above, it's definitely the "what the hell am I doing here?  what has happened to my life?" moment.  I love how the sound drops out during this part too.  Only heightens it more.  Sure, it might be there as a bridge, but damned if it don't work.