PTA is not very food

Started by cinemascope, August 27, 2003, 01:09:42 PM

cinemascope:

Did you just start reading your film school books or something?  Did your prof assign you to acost the first online message board that doesnt jack off Truffaut or Godard?  If so, make sure you rent Citizen Kane, so you can be ahead of the game.

Truffaut is dead dude.  We can't really discuss his latest work.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: cinemascopeI know many people here seem to have built little shrines to PTA but really he is not original what so ever.  Maybe he is to those of you who have only seen, for the most part, post 1985 films, his films look arty but really little of it is pure PTA.  Magnolia for example, the stories are pretty much identicle to Shortcuts, a film based on the short stories of Raymond Carver(someone who deserves ten times more praise then PTA, even if he is just a short story writer.)  Also, with regards to his latest movie Punch Drunk Love, many of the shots are identical to some of the shots from movies such as Shoot the Piano Player, Taxi Driver, A Man and A Woman and knowing PTA probably many more.  PTA is a lucky man though, he gets to make movies, and I do find them enjoyable but there needs to be some other forums for really great and important directors like akira kirousawa, aki kaurismaki, Jim Jarmusch, Troffout, Goddard.  Anyways that's what I think, maybe some people agree with me.

i smell a rat, this post is not real

cinemascope

I know every one steals from everyone one but usually you want to bring something to the movie that doesn't make it almost complete deja-vu.   For example, Quinton Tarantino, he sometimes steals directly from other movies, but he puts it in new context with new characters and makes a completely new movie.   I'm also glad you guys can spell.  I also didn't get the thing about truffout being dead and why that makes him any less important and has anyone seen Shoot the Piano Player.  Also, sorry for not reading through all the posts about PTA.  I didn't realize this has been discussed, it looked like all the forums where about how great he was.  If you guys want to try and change my mind about pta you might think about listing some contributions or innovations he's had on cinema, just a thought though.
"But...Some people call me...the Street Fighter"-Sonny Chiba (Street Fighters Last Revenge)

Pozer

Quote from: cinemascopeQuinton

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaade!
cannot take you seriously

Quote from: cinemascopeI also didn't get the thing about truffout being dead and why that makes him any less important and has anyone seen Shoot the Piano Player.

As in..  how much can you possibly draw from one movie?!  There has been enough coverage of Truffout in not just this forum but many others on the internet (which is starting to catch on with the public)... We understand that he was influential.. we know he was great, but why do we need reafirming him...  We have some great directors who are still alive.. why not concern yourselves with them?
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

cinemascope

Truffaut has made a lot more movies than PTA, there is a lot more to talk about.  PTA has made 4 movies, fun movies, but there's not much to talk about.
"But...Some people call me...the Street Fighter"-Sonny Chiba (Street Fighters Last Revenge)

Pedro

Quote from: cinemascopeTruffaut has made a lot more movies than PTA, there is a lot more to talk about.  PTA has made 4 movies, fun movies, but there's not much to talk about.
holy shit

chainsmoking insomniac

The kid's got balls, you've gotta give him that....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinemascopeTruffaut has made a lot more movies than PTA, there is a lot more to talk about.

So, start talking about Truffaut. I gave you the link to his thread. No one is stopping you. Start a debate, or introduce us to something we don't know instead of telling us what to talk about and how to run our board with what forums we should have.

As I wait, I'll go delete the Terrence Malick thread, since he's only done three films so far.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: cinemascopePTA has made 4 movies, fun movies, but there's not much to talk about.

I, once again, invite you to read the rest of the posts... you will find that there is plenty to talk about... there is so much to talk about, in fact, that we filled up one entire message board and had to start this new one.

cinemascope

Is there a reason no one is giving me reasons to like pta, i'm willing to listen to why people think he's great, but I guess being able to explain why a director is good is hard for you guys, other than saying "he's sooo great, and so viceral and real, he speaks the truth and from the heart" PTA to me just seems like a trendy guy who thinks it's cool to be a film director.  

It really is wierd that no one has written why he's great, that was originally my intention was for someone to write why he's good.  I guess I could have said that staight out but usually peoples reaction to attacks on directors is explaining why the attacker is wrong, not saying-"Go AWAY-YOU DON'T THINK LIKE US- YOU CANT SPELL-TRUFFOUT IS DEAD-GO WRITE ABOUT TRUFFOUT IF YOU LIKE HIM SO MUCH-WE LIKE PT BECAUSE HE'S COOL"

Cecil

i guess hes just not your cup of tea. no biggie.

cinemascope

send me a link or something from the pta forum giving some real arguments for reasons why pta is a good director, all i'm finding is trivia and news updates.

RegularKarate

Quote from: cinemascopeIs there a reason no one is giving me reasons to like pta, i'm willing to listen to why people think he's great, but I guess being able to explain why a director is good is hard for you guys, other than saying "he's sooo great, and so viceral and real, he speaks the truth and from the heart" PTA to me just seems like a trendy guy who thinks it's cool to be a film director.  

Where in the rest of this forrum that you obviously haven't read yet does it say that the only reason we like PT is because he's cool?

PT IS cool... there's no question about that, but he also knows how to capture a scene with his camera... he knows how introduce characters and situations... he knows how write diologue that sets itself apart from the rest... He puts details like no other in his films... you can watch his films over and over again and notice something new each time.

I could go on and on and on and on and on... and sometimes I do, but I don't really need to when there is an entire forrum dedicated to that right here!

Ravi

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacThe kid's got balls, you've gotta give him that....

It doesn't take balls to post something on an internet forum.  Now if this guy were to say this at the PTA/NRA/Big Biker Guys club...